• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Adds Queen's Blade, Ikkitousen Great Guardians

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
*facepalm*

Of all the shows being released sub-only these days and Queen's Blade is getting a dub... there's a word for this, I just know there is...

I find it ironic, even hilarious that a hentai show such as Queen's Blade is given a English audio, yet retively clean shows such as Lucky Star OVA and Ramen Fighter Miki don't get one.

Well as long as Genshiken season two is finished, I don't care what else is licensed. I really enjoyed the second season, despite the fact Media Blasters licensed this series.

But there is no way I'd ever consider buying either Queen's Blade or Ikkitousen.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I knew it!! I knew it!!

Well, why not. It's a softer "hentai" title. Now thats' a oxymoron. I'm sure it will be a sell.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I on the other hand am looking forward to Media-Blasters' DVD release, as it means Queen's Blade will finally be available in 480p.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to own this silly show. It does suck though when we have to settle for DVD when a Blu-ray version is available.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Of all the shows being released sub-only these days and Queen's Blade is getting a dub...

That was my initial reaction, too. Anime hyper

Ah, well. What can ya do?

In some demented way I hope the release does well. It at least will help bring dubs back into favor. Then again, looking at the context we have to wonder. Even anti-dub Nozomi still dubs all its Hentai. Blows the mind.

But they went from Moribito and Genshiken to Queen's Blade. Sad thing is QB will probably sell better.

Also it took them three years to get out Ikkitousen DD. It technically hasn't even been released yet. They must have a lot of faith in that title. But if that were true, I wonder why it took them so long to get around to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
l33tmeatwad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I on the other hand am looking forward to Media-Blasters' DVD release, as it means Queen's Blade will finally be available in 480p.

You mean 480i...very rarely is a DVD mastered in 480p (and by very rarely, I mean almost never).
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
So now Media Blasters have licensed Great Guardians? Well that's rich, considering they haven't even released Dragon Destiny yet! Pretty excited about Queen's Blade though, that's assuming they ever release it...
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Immediately, I remember some of the emoticons Zac uses sometimes when reviewing new seasons of anime, particularly the one where the little face shoots himself in the head...

That's pretty much the same reaction I have towards this news.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
braves wrote:
I find it very humorous that we find out about this because of a slip of the tongue on Mr. Sirabella's part. Laughing

It's not the first time he's done this. Heck, most of MBs titles are announced this way or through the solicits. They rarely release out press releases.
Considering the post where he "slipped" was basically him going "Funimations not so great! MB rulz!" I doubt it was a slip at all. Plus, since they rarely do press releases, these "slips" probably aren't accidental in the slightest.

While I'm glad to hear that Queens Blade is licensed and will be getting an English dub (no, I haven't watched it and no I'm not buying it but it's the principle of the thing!) I'm also deeply annoyed that they got the third season of Ikki-Tousen after not getting back the original English cast for DD. Sorry but without Carrie Savage, Willow Lane, Wendee Lee, Hunter MacKenzie Austin and Robin Rhodpa , I'm just not buying it. Period.

And there really is something bizarre about how hentai and really fanservicy shows are expected to do well enough in sales to justify an English dub but cleaner shows apparently aren't. It just makes me wonder why they don't use the same cheap VAs (they must be using cheap VAs right? We know they didn't want to use New Generation Pictures for DD even at about 60% less than what Geneon originally paid, see this thread for details.) for the shows they'd otherwise release sub-only. Wouldn't that just add to the sales?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I find it ironic, even hilarious that a hentai show such as Queen's Blade is given a English audio, yet retively clean shows such as Lucky Star OVA and Ramen Fighter Miki don't get one.

What is ironic or hilarious about a "hentai" show like Queen's Blade (which it is not, by the way, it is ecchi) getting a dub while "clean" shows don't? This decision is driven by profit expectations. If a company believes it will make money on a QB dub, but not a Ramen Fighter Miki dub, that's an unironic bottom line decision.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I find it ironic that so many people are complaining about this. Especially since there seems to be a lot of pro-subbers on ANN. Haven't there been a lot of complaints recently about the added expense of a dub and how unnecessary they are? A lot of hentai shows are dubbed because the companies are hoping that non-anime and casual anime fans might buy them. Shows like Lucky Star are more for hard core fans who usually seem to prefer subs anyway.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Queen's Blade gets dubbed? And the second half of GaoGaiGar doesn't?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
Yeah, that about covers my side of this story. Seriously, 'eff you, Media Blasters, 'eff you.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Media Blasters is coming up I see...... Dub of some Highly sexy shows? I am there! on both.. Now if they can just get over that single DVD thing we are in business.. I will buy but gotta wait on the box set............... (Unless I get rich)... Wow its nice that I can leave a good comment for once..

@Teriyaki Terrier@

Ikkitousen is good! Don't know about Queens Blade I heard things, But Ikkiousen is really good... And Yeah Lucky Star OVA is a shame. 1 More Freakin episode! *Looks at Bandai <_<*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Annf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's to hoping it's released on BluRay.

I'd guess against it if this is really coming out next summer. The Japanese releases don't even finish till May. I doubt they'd allow cheap BDs that soon.
luffypirate85 wrote:
I remember hearing on a panel that Media isn't interested in releasing anime in Blu-ray format Sad

Wasn't even aware of that but if that's true, I guess that's all the more reason.

It'll probably be years, if ever.

In any case, I don't think I'm going to cancel my current preorders. Cool
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I will rent Queen's blade once it comes out. I like ecchi a lot but I like to view before I buy. I didn't think the last part of IkkiTousen would come out in R1. I was shocked when the 2nd series is getting a R1 release but I am not jumping at the bit to get the volumes when it comes out, I might wait a bit before I get them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
There's to hoping it's released on BluRay.

I'd guess against it if this is really coming out next summer. The Japanese releases don't even finish till May. I doubt they'd allow cheap BDs that soon.
luffypirate85 wrote:
I remember hearing on a panel that Media isn't interested in releasing anime in Blu-ray format Sad

Wasn't even aware of that but if that's true, I guess that's all the more reason.

It'll probably be years, if ever.

In any case, I don't think I'm going to cancel my current preorders. Cool

Well it's likely that they'll release the show in sets (hope to God that it's not singles), so the first season will be done in probably the next month. I imagine the second season will begin shipping relatively soon too.

It had better include the ecchi OVAs as well. I know all about this "IT COSTS TO GET EXTRAS", yes, but that's what we want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10