• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Adds Queen's Blade, Ikkitousen Great Guardians

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I take it you guys still buy singles....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Some people still do if there is a good enough reason to do so. I generally will get singles if I know the box set has the extras cut or if it is cheaper for me to buy the singles then buying a boxset or sets of the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Loganator456

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for both. xD
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Only if there is an incentive to do so, on my part. (Certain factors can include a nice artbox to house those singles, or if it's a series I really really like and am willing to fork the cash to support the show.)

As for the announcement in general, good for those who wanted it. It's also nice to see them dubbed. (The whole "this show doesn't deserved to be dubbed in comparison to 'Better Show #41'" viewpoint is a slippery slope to follow, in my mind.) I am interested in both shows - I've wanted to Watch Ikki Tousen for a long time now, and some of the female character designs for Queen's Blade look really attractive (particularly Nanael Embarassed ). It's been a long time since I've seen a title that could qualify as a guilty pleasure.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Your right on the hoping part, but I remember hearing on a panel that Media isn't interested in releasing anime in Blu-ray format Sad

Well, that sucks. Guess I'll stop holding out for a Moribito release on Blu-ray. It's a pity since that show really deserves to get the best treatment possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
A good day for fans of fan service shows, it seems Razz
Quark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
I find it a little interesting that a company has licensed two new series, and given fans what they've been clamouring for - a dub - and there's still complaints.
While I have pretty much no interest in either show (though I've debated buying some figures of Nanael, she's so cute) I'm glad that Media Blasters has decided to dub these. Hopefully it sells well enough that they can start dubbing more titles down the road.
I'm guessing that these shows will do fairly well, seeing as how they are Fighting Boob Shows, and Fighting Boob Shows seem to appeal to more casual fans than something like, say, Lucky Star. Call me nuts, but the casual fan probably wouldn't enjoy watching a bunch of highschool girls talking about the best way to eat chocolate cornets.

Oh, and to answer Mario's question - myself personally, as long as it comes with a nice artbox to hold them, I will almost always buy singles over thinpack sets. Especially if it's Funimation. They have beautiful artboxes for single sets, but their new half season/full season sets are atrocious.

Last edited by Quark on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Both series aren't very good choices and didn't rate very high with me, but I'll buy Ikki Tousen: Great Guardians since I have or intend to buy the other two series in the franchise, so I might as well complete the trilogy. It wasn't as entertaining as the other two were though.

Quote:

Someone has to keep Media Blasters alive long enough in the fragile state of the industry, so that I can get the remainder of Moribito and Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny....

Otherwise, no, I don't buy singles anymore.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:

Hell yeah. It puts the collecting back in anime. That's what got me into it in the first place.

braves wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Your right on the hoping part, but I remember hearing on a panel that Media isn't interested in releasing anime in Blu-ray format Sad

Well, that sucks. Guess I'll stop holding out for a Moribito release on Blu-ray. It's a pity since that show really deserves to get the best treatment possible.

I'm hoping that FUNi's Blu-ray releases do well. Maybe Media Blasters will rethink their ways. I'm more than willing to fork out cash for some HD anime releases, just give me something I'm interested in though. Moribito would be some prime stuff.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Vicserr wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
braves wrote:
I find it very humorous that we find out about this because of a slip of the tongue on Mr. Sirabella's part. Laughing

It's not the first time he has done it; this tends to happen when users of the Mania forums are chatting about the industry.

John Sirabella has the "license announcement by Industry comments" down to a science, and we prefer Anime on DVD for the anime boards instead of Mania Forums, thank you Wink

Too lazy to type out AnimeOnDVD except this point. Surprised

And that's true too since I do frequent there with a different screen name.

The problem I have with mania is that the moderators are WAY too strict.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Queen's Blade gets dubbed? And the second half of GaoGaiGar doesn't?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE
yeah about that I read somewhere that MB said they didn't do a complete dubbing job for gaogaigar due to bad dvd sales but then again has anyone seen any ads for gaogaigar when it came out on DVD state side. but then again imo (if this offends the fans who like the dub sorry) someone else could have done a better job with the dubbing. media blasters doing a dub of ikkitousen and queens blade dosen't really make me jump in excitment or anger if they want to do it fine but if they do again what they did with some of their other titles and not advertise them, then well there may be another half ass job like with gaogaigar
stevek504

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Of all the shows being released sub-only these days and Queen's Blade is getting a dub...

That was my initial reaction, too. Anime hyper

This was my initial reaction as well, then I gave it some thought and changed my tune on this. They have put out a lot of shows that are not for me (Queen's Blade is probably one of them). But I must give them credit for first putting out shows like Moribito, (which they are releasing at a good pace) Ah My Goddess, Figure 17, Otogi Zoshi, (the first arc) and Simoun. I do wish they had released a dub for Simoun - but the sub is okay.
Blackwolf0925

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The thing that got me looking at Queen's Blade was the figures. I started collecting the figures because they appealed to me. All of the ones I have are unique. Now that this it is getting license here I can start collecting this series. I also like collecting art boxes and singles. I won't get season box sets unless there is no other way to get the series. But the one character that started my fascination with Queen's Blade was Nanael. So to me this is one series I will pick up. Wink
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh...sweet...Jesus Shocked!!!

"Queen's Blade" gets licensed, yet "Kamen no Maid Guy" and "Nagasarete Ariantou" haven't. Something's really wrong here.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Brass2TheMax wrote:
Decisions like this are what is killing the anime industry.

Wtf?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10