• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Sargento Soma

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:19 am Reply with quote
I'm just going to ignore all the "let's talk about Evangelion...AGAIN" talk in favor of talking about something that matters (mind you, as recently as yesterday I am STILL getting angry emails / PMs / etc from people who declare me so dumb for saying that I don't care about or respect Evangelion):

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Thanks for the info on the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Blu-ray. It's a shame to hear the original version looks so bad on it. Guess I'll just keep my old VHS.

I, like you, have been holding onto my old VHS for a while. I'm certainly no videophile like Justin, but I compared the original version as included on the 2.0 Blu-Ray to my old DVD (viewed upscaled), and the Blu-Ray version does look a little better. You can still tell that all the HD restoration type work went into the 2.0 version, but I consider the original version included on the Blu-Ray is the version to have for now. The Manga DVD didn't include the original end credits or music like the old VHS release; the Blu-Ray does. Personally, it's worth $15 to me if it means I can have the original, uncut movie in a format that won't degrade. Still, if there was a HD remastered original version, I'd be all over that.

As for the "dub vs sub" thing, there's a saying: "bad dialogue is better read than heard."

EDIT: Oh snap, I got a mention right at the end. Manga had actually lost the rights to the glorious Mad Bull years and years ago, back when Keith Burgess was still their spokesman, so that's no surprise. Still, it's the thought that counts. I still say the Holy Trinity of Angel Cop, Violence Jack (we never got uncut DVDs! Kids need to SEE the necrophilia and cannibalism that used to be present in shonen manga targeted towards 11 year olds!), and Mad Bull could make someone money if marketed towards the crowd that Media Blasters targets when cutting together their trailers for the live-action coproductions like Machine Girl and such. More people need to follow Manga Video's licensing approaches, because for as few titles as they own, those titles tend to continue to sell for years and years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
captainbanana wrote:
Having watched a hundred shows with a character just like Shinji (a weak willed, whiny child) it isn't even that aspect that rubs me in the wrong way when it comes to Evangelion. The part that I find unwatchable is when they start talking about pseudo-religious topics, and how it relates to the plot at hand. It's as if they opened a few holy books, picked out some cool sounding words, and then mashed it all together into something that doesn't really do any of those books justice.

That's exactly what they did. Barely any of the religious refrences mean anything. They did it because they found religion cool which lead to a bunch of crappy shows about wangsty people where the entire series is pretentious as hell.

Hate to break it to you but I think that sort of sums up the Japanese attitude towards religion. They just don't take it that seriously. From a Japanese perspective, it's possible to be a Shintoist, a Buddhist, and a Christian or any other religious combination, all at the same time.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:10 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
captainbanana wrote:
Having watched a hundred shows with a character just like Shinji (a weak willed, whiny child) it isn't even that aspect that rubs me in the wrong way when it comes to Evangelion. The part that I find unwatchable is when they start talking about pseudo-religious topics, and how it relates to the plot at hand. It's as if they opened a few holy books, picked out some cool sounding words, and then mashed it all together into something that doesn't really do any of those books justice.

That's exactly what they did. Barely any of the religious refrences mean anything. They did it because they found religion cool which lead to a bunch of crappy shows about wangsty people where the entire series is pretentious as hell.

Hate to break it to you but I think that sort of sums up the Japanese attitude towards religion. They just don't take it that seriously. From a Japanese perspective, it's possible to be a Shintoist, a Buddhist, and a Christian or any other religious combination, all at the same time.

That's absolutely true. It doesn't make it any less irritating though. I'm not offended or anything like that, but it takes me out of the experience when I constantly hear biblical references that mean absolutely nothing in the context of the show. They could and should have done better with that aspect of the story instead of using it as little more than a backdrop.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Really good ANNCast this week, guys! I enjoyed the talk about your differing tastes a lot, and I think it'd be good to continue with those sort of freeform discussions. Also, as someone who came into anime fandom in the mid-90s, the vast majority of the first titles I saw were either Manga or Streamline releases, so hearing all the different phases Manga has gone through from then to now was really, really interesting.

It is kind of shocking to hear the number of fairly major licenses Manga no longer has...given their placement within a relatively large corporation, I would think there'd be a concerted effort to hang onto things like Perfect Blue or the Evangelion movies. On that front, though, he didn't really answer about Angel Cop, did he? Or was that included in the "we have it in the UK but not the US" batch?

And finally, don't feel bad, Zac, I still pronounce it "mang-guh," too. After all these years, I just can't break myself of the habit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I've had an unfairly happy and rainbow-filled life since day one, and Shinji is one of my favorite fictional characters in anything ever. And the character I relate to the most is Asuka. I've heard a lot of "why do some people love Eva while some people hate it?" theories before, but I'm starting to think it's just like Apple Jacks: "THEY JUST DO."
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
So Manga officially lost the license to End of Eva. That's too bad. The ending of the TV series didn't do much for me, but seeing the movie really blew me away in so many countless ways, with it being so brutal and gorgeous simultaneously. Some say it was so dark and depressing, but I never felt it betrayed the story's direction, it really absorbed me in a way that no anime ever did at the time, and it actually made me better appreciate the TV series--in short, it's one of my all-time faves. Having said that, I'll forever keep my copy of the DVD as a treasure, and really hope someone picks it back up so people can keep remembering this title.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:51 pm Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:

That's absolutely true. It doesn't make it any less irritating though. I'm not offended or anything like that, but it takes me out of the experience when I constantly hear biblical references that mean absolutely nothing in the context of the show. They could and should have done better with that aspect of the story instead of using it as little more than a backdrop.

Actually, within the context of the show, some of it does mean something. It just doesn't mean anything religious.

Don't think of Evangelion as pretentious because it throws in religious imagery. The imagery is mostly just dressing, they weren't trying to get you to think of it as anything more than that, except in a few cases where the symbolism is pretty obvious.

It's the fault of the Western audience, not Gainax, for trying to interpret things as having religious meaning. In Japan, nobody was under that assumption. Evangelion is complex because of what it has to say about people, not God.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Another excellent podcast. You're hitting them out of the park lately.

Just my .02 on film greatness.... It isn't how much of my personal experience matches or harmonizes with the characters, it's how well has the author crafted and the actors acted unique, dimensioned and "real" human characters with new and fascinating combinations of personality and character traits, and made their interaction authentic regardless of plot, theme or setting. I may empathize more with a character due to having had similar experience. I may actively dislike a character that has traits I abhor in others or in myself. But my appreciation for the artistry of the characters and story doesn't depend on personal similarities.

Beyond characters, I want an engaging story minus cliches and with few tropes, those used only brilliantly or subverted, and hopefully some highly original if not stunning composition, imaginative editing and innovative use of good music. Clever blends or juxtapositions of genres is a big plus.

I expect to be immersed in it, almost demanding full attention, even if the film breaks the fourth wall. If I catch myself wondering if I have enough coffee for the morning, it failed. If my immediate urge after finishing a series is to load the first DVD again... it's a real winner. To accomplish that, it has to be quite mentally engaging in addition to all else (certainly not just an emotional button-pusher or standard genre formula).

And yes, that pretty much describes Evangelion Wink.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear Monster is doing well.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
captainbanana wrote:

Actually, within the context of the show, some of it does mean something. It just doesn't mean anything religious.

Don't think of Evangelion as pretentious because it throws in religious imagery. The imagery is mostly just dressing, they weren't trying to get you to think of it as anything more than that, except in a few cases where the symbolism is pretty obvious.

It's the fault of the Western audience, not Gainax, for trying to interpret things as having religious meaning. In Japan, nobody was under that assumption. Evangelion is complex because of what it has to say about people, not God.

My point is that there is no religious meaning to any of the religious symbolism or names used. In a show named Evangelion, they could have left out all of that symbolism and the show would have been exactly the same. That seems like such a waste to me. I realize that it is window dressing, but my opinion is that the show would have benefited from the actual story being a little more cohesive with the religious symbolism in the show. I don't see how even a Japanese audience wouldn't have picked up on the religious elements of Eva. Whether or not they'd have given it any importance, or completely written it off as an unimportant plot point, I have no idea, but it's not as if they'd have been completely blind to it.

I don't think the show is pretentious (until the last two episodes, dear god were they pretentious). I've read interviews where studio figures literally state that the religious aspect was added because the studio thought it sounded cool. Regardless of that, I still think it could have been a better show than I believe it to be, had it only expanded on those themes. I completely understand why people like it (to this day people ask me how I can stand Satoshi Kon movies. I'm a veteran when it comes to people disliking what I like) but I guess it just didn't speak to me in the way it did to others.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard the whole thing, but I jumped to the part discussing Ani-Monday and Monster, and there was no mention of the changed soundtrack in the broadcast version. I'm really curious why it was changed and whether it will be like that on the DVDs.

I suppose he may not even know the answer to the DVD question, but I'd be interested in learning what he does know about the soundtrack issue.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I'm just going to ignore all the "let's talk about Evangelion...AGAIN" talk in favor of talking about something that matters (mind you, as recently as yesterday I am STILL getting angry emails / PMs / etc from people who declare me so dumb for saying that I don't care about or respect Evangelion):

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Thanks for the info on the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Blu-ray. It's a shame to hear the original version looks so bad on it. Guess I'll just keep my old VHS.

I, like you, have been holding onto my old VHS for a while. I'm certainly no videophile like Justin, but I compared the original version as included on the 2.0 Blu-Ray to my old DVD (viewed upscaled), and the Blu-Ray version does look a little better. You can still tell that all the HD restoration type work went into the 2.0 version, but I consider the original version included on the Blu-Ray is the version to have for now. The Manga DVD didn't include the original end credits or music like the old VHS release; the Blu-Ray does. Personally, it's worth $15 to me if it means I can have the original, uncut movie in a format that won't degrade. Still, if there was a HD remastered original version, I'd be all over that.

As for the "dub vs sub" thing, there's a saying: "bad dialogue is better read than heard."
ears.

Wow, another person willing to admit he still has his VHS. Thanks for that. Cool

Personally, I'm a reluctant "upgrader". I amassed quite a large VHS collection over the decades (aided by plummiting prices on the second hand market as far as anime is concerned) and actually have a system that makes the format look good (I am a videophile, yet I've never had a problem with my tapes and usually got a lot of flak over it from other videophiles for not groveling at DVDs alter and burning my collection). I've only rebought some of that on DVD, usually for a widescreen transfer or directors cut and the like and only of personal favorites. Now that bluray's out, I'm much more open to rebuying favorites, and have done so, as the difference is usually staggering, and it gets me away from DVD, a format I never liked to begin with. I still hold on to the old versions though(only 1 of our TVs is HD).

From the way it's described, the GitS BD just doesn't sound worthy of an upgrade, even at 15 dollars, given the quality, and having most of my money go to a version I have no intention of watching again. Good to know it looks better than the DVD, but that's usually a given anyway. It's like how the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy look better than the laserdiscs in general, but they don't look like they should for what you're buying it on. To my knowledge, the Japanese release does look better, it's just a matter of importing it. As much as I love the film, I just don't see that happening anytime soon in my situation.

True on dubbing, but i still say it also has to do with a reverse of the old "you can't understand it, how can you say it's better." I do know it's not any worse. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
...little more than a backdrop... My point is that there is no religious meaning to any of the religious symbolism or names used. In a show named Evangelion, they could have left out all of that symbolism and the show would have been exactly the same.

Umm... no.

The book Anime Explosion contains an excellent chapter summarizing the history of religion in Japan from a Western point of view and pointing out uses of Christian symbols in anime (also see tvtropes). Bottom line, the crosses, angels and apples rarely have any more significance than using a skull and crossbones as shorthand for danger. Chrno Crusade, Hellsing and Fullmetal Alchemist use Christian symbols or references prominently, but so shallowly to be innocuous to all the but the fiercest evangelical. A Westerner's take on any of these symbols is entirely different than that of the intended Japanese audience because we have the full historical context and meaning associated with the original symbol, not to mention potential emotional connections (similar to a trained Buddhist viewing references to their religion in the The Dark Knight films). Only 1% of Japanese are Christian. So we often expect more meaning that just isn't there, or isn't necessary for the purpose of entertainment.

What Anno does is leverage this, appropriating a truly fascinating device, the ancient Sephirot, as the backbone or map of the plot for a futuristic, sci-fi apocalypse story. It comes preloaded with creation myth, counter-purpose between good and... good at a supreme spiritual level, complex and attractive symbology that resonates visually across cultures, mysticism, progression through evolutionary states toward a goal, climactic conflict with extinction of mankind as the threat, etc. Why invent all that newly (a la Tolkien) for a Japanese audience? It's provided for you complete in an esoteric, intriguing and foreign religious construct--meaning you can apply any degree of creative license and your target audience will be none the wiser, or offended.

Regardless of NGE assistant directors handwaving the symbology, it's obvious Anno put a fair amount of study and thought into it. You could write a sci-fi apocalypse story using your own or some other mythos, but it would definitely not be Evangelion then.
Baltimoron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I chuckled at the mention of Mad Bull. Lone Wolf and Cub is my all-time favorite media franchise and that makes me, in some sense, a Kazuo Koike fan. But the guy's such a raging misogynist. In one volume of the Dark Horse release of the manga, the "Ronin Report" backmatter is an essay called something like "Women in Lone Wolf and Cub." I've never worked up the courage to read it given that I'm sure it's just apologetic equivocation for Koike's anti-woman bent and I might end up throwing the book across the room.

Everything I've heard leads me to believe that Mad Bull is Koike at his absolute worst. I know I'll hate it completely, but morbid fascination makes me want to see it. Bad idea, I know.

The sub/dub discussion in the podcast was interesting to me because it touched on why I'm a sub fan. Dubs always sound terrible and unnatural to me.* Even huge budget megadubs like what Ghibli movies receive rub me the wrong way. So I watch the subs. Not because I think they're "more accurate" or better acted, but because I don't speak a lick of Japanese and thus don't get distracted by the voice-acting. I've watched the English track on my Princess Mononoke DVD once out of respect for Neil Gaiman and that was enough. Gillian Anderson's wolf goddess? Get out.

*Other than Cowboy Bebop. Now that's a good dub.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
On not being able to understand Shinji unless you've experienced depression: I hate (the characters of) Evangelion (especially Shinji), and I was experiencing depression for the first time when I watched it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4