• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Closet Case

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:26 am Reply with quote
AlanMintaka wrote:
I'll give Heaven's Memo Pad the pass it deserves.

Heaven's Memo Pad isn't terrible. I had issues with the ending (among other things) but it was watchable enough.

But it is the sort of show that if you never watched it you wouldn't be missing out on anything. Well, except Alice being fetishised (not sexualised, but still...).

Since it has some good things I would have rated it Rental Shelf. It certainly isn't good enough to re-watch, unless I had a thing for Alice (I don't). And it certainly isn't worthy enough to sit on my shelves next to my top-rated titles.

As it is, I will be buying it and then promptly stuffing it into a plastic container (of which I have many) with the other mediocre titles I've accumulated over the years. Eventually its fate will be to be foisted onto friends or sold online.

What I'm trying to say is, rest assured that your decision to pass on it will not haunt you to your grave.
AlanMintaka

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:39 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

What I'm trying to say is, rest assured that your decision to pass on it will not haunt you to your grave.

To tell you the truth, I'm just pain haunted by the idea of going to my grave in the first place! That's more than enough haunting for one lifetime.

Shoot! I did it AGAIN !!!!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

As for the Fafner movie.....I love my mechs and explosions. I however did not get into the series. I only gave it an average rating myself on MAL. I suppose part of the problem was I had been soured by watching Gundam Seed BEFORE Fafner. I know they have 0 to do with each other really but the same character animation coupled with both shows involving mechs more then likely had me go into Fafner with a sour note. It's been long enough I should probably re-watch Fafner and give it a real chance.

The SEED-like character designs initially turned me off to FAFNER, but I ended up liking the show because it kinda reminded me of BLUE GENDER, though FAFNER was more of a conventional mecha show. I think the NEET/hikkikomori "vogue" in anime is similar to the slacker/stoner "vogue" in American shows/movies.

See now I really feel I got to give it another look. I happened to enjoy Blue Gender (the tv series, not the horrible movie after it) myself. Obviously Fafner is more mech based but if there is a comparison to be made between the two I suppose I should check it out. I have to say beyond the fact my first impression was "oh God it's Seed!!!" I was not favorably pleased by the character designs period. Just something about it just doesn't sit right. Still, if Fafner has a good story that matters most so I'll bump it into my need to watch category.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6