• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alleged Akihabara Killer Sends Apology to Victim

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
Yikes! This guy needs help!
Lets hope he gets it in his next life.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Insanity should be a difficult plea, as you should have to prove that you not only were crazy, but crazy enough not to know that what you were doing was wrong. If you did know it was wrong and did it anyway, there is no reason to let you off just because you weren't normal. The guy is messed up but the letter proves his guilt and I agree with him that he deserves a harsh sentence.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Comparing the deaths of seven people to losing an online Avatar? That guy has serious problems. Beyond the fact he's killed seven people and is facing the death penalty, I mean.

I don't get you people who take analogies like that. He's just giving some reference, it's no big deal. He's not 'lowering' his act of violence to what happened on a forum. He's just trying to give a point of reference. The two events remain separate.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:52 pm Reply with quote
It's like when you're in bar and some dumb braud bumps into you and spills your beer all on your shirt, then she doesn't even say she's sorry and she walks back to her friends playing it off and her friends laugh at you and you feel like a chump. She killed your perfect evening. Yeah it's kinda like that.

LoL this guy is comedy with his analogies.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Meh, many people get killed because they were disrespecting or just being indignant to the wrong person. To some people respect is one of those things that people will defend to the death. It's nothing new, its just sad this guy lashed out at innocent people or went as far to think that was enough to justify his actions at the time. It's sad he is rational enough to realize what he's done but didn't have that rationale when he was upset and planning his attack.

"The many horrors of life are often born from the most inane of reasons. Yet life's joys are also the same."
~Anonymous

May God watch over them all.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Is "Alleged" still necessary when he's admitting to the crime?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:

Professional news organizations have rules that they abide by because of the nature of their work. If the Japanese government has not actually convicted him of this crime yet, than he should be described as a alleged killer. How do you think the organization would look if they broadcast "killer does blah" and it ends up being not guilty of his alleged crime? If you argue that there are special cases like the killer admitting his crime, what if he was coerced? Then the confession is tossed out and he walks.

Don't wanna get too elaborate on this, so hopefully you get the point.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about exceptions, yes. In that case, though, shouldn't it be "Alleged killer allegedly apologises"? Is it proven that he wrote the letter? Wink
Rozarie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
I WILL NEVER go to Akihabara like if one day I have too I will wear bulletproof vest and a helmet and bodyguards like wtf crazy people /:
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
Rozarie wrote:
I WILL NEVER go to Akihabara like if one day I have too I will wear bulletproof vest and a helmet and bodyguards like wtf crazy people /:

Uh, yeah right. Things like that are exclusive to Japan, indeed.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quote
Better than nothing?
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote
Does he really think that 10,000 deaths would even remotely cover one person he's killed?
If he's received help and sees the errors of his ways, and is TRULY sorry, then maybe he can be given another chance.
The way he said it made me believe that he doesn't care for the other people's lives and is now just trying to save his own skin.

But thats just me
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Sven Viking wrote:
Allegedly. Wink
Etrien

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but...

Where is everyone getting that the killing spree was because of a deleted avatar? Unless I'm misreading it, all I see is that he makes a comparison to an event that's happened, but gives no indication that that's what lead to this crime.
The Grey Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I never understood the point of these public apologies from murderers. I'm too cynical to believe that the apology is genuine, and not something his/her lawyers or therapists urge them to do.

Even if the person is truly remorseful, I don't think it could ever quell my anger for the person; even a drop. Especially since it's easier to discover the error of your own ways after you've been caught and sentenced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3