• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gantz Manga Enters Final Phase in Japan on Thursday

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kill-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:27 am Reply with quote
Admit it, Hiroya Oku: you didn't have a clue of how to end this stuff (started 10 YEARS AGO) until 2 days ago.

Am I Wrong?
Ralifar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
I'm going to agree with you on that kill-chan. The story has been jumping all over the place. The 10 year part doesn't really help or hinder the case in my opinion though. Plenty of series run for 10 years or longer.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
At least this isn't the Hunter X Hunter hiatus we're talking about.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
I doubt the creators of any of these long-running manga/shows know how they are going to end them until they are informed that they are being cancelled. Well, they may have an idea of what they want the ending to be, and just pray their producers/publishers give them enough time to rush to their desired ending...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Not everthing has to be mapped out, and Gantz has continued to be enjoyable for me throughout its entire run (well, the first 100 chapters or so were so-so, but it got much better after that). The last chapter was just nuts, and I can't wait for the final arc. Really happy Dark Horse licensed this, I've already got the first 6 volumes.

Hardgear, I disagree with you there. Plenty of long-running series had great endings that weren't rushed because of cancellation, and series like One Piece and Naruto have a definitive ending in sight.

Last edited by doctordoom85 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Lonecow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Well I personally can't wait. The manga always went in a direction that you never expected it to. It kept it interesting.

I am expecting a high body count though. I am already preparing myself for the beautiful Reika's horrible death. Crying or Very sad

I just hope it doesn't end with Kei getting with any version of Kishimoto. She needs to stay dead. I hated her character, and they made so many more interesting characters once she kicked the bucket, but you can tell he wants her to come back for some stupid reason.

Maybe Gantz will resurrect 200 Kishimoto's to fight the big bad and they all die. That would be epic.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:
I just hope it doesn't end with Kei getting with any version of Kishimoto. She needs to stay dead. I hated her character, and they made so many more interesting characters once she kicked the bucket, but you can tell he wants her to come back for some stupid reason.

I don't see spoiler[Kishimoto coming back. Yeah, her original form is still alive, but Kato seeing her was just a way to remind him of what had been lost. There haven't been any hints that Kei has any interest in Kishimoto left, I'm not sure he's even thought of her anymore (considering he brought Nishi back over her).]
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
At least it is nice to know the manga-ka is taking the manga somewhere because it has really lost its edge the past several volumes.
Lonecow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:24 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Lonecow wrote:

I don't see spoiler[Kishimoto coming back. Yeah, her original form is still alive, but Kato seeing her was just a way to remind him of what had been lost. There haven't been any hints that Kei has any interest in Kishimoto left, I'm not sure he's even thought of her anymore (considering he brought Nishi back over her).]

I meant mostly Oku wants to bring her back not Kei. spoiler[When Kei brought back Niishi they showed a picture of Kishimoto with an editor note of "You'll have to wait a little longer" to the audience as if that is what we want to see. I think Oku thinks the audience wants her back more then they really do.

But that was a while ago and the fact that Kato nearly hooked up with that girl on the Osaka mission kind of puts a kibosh on anyone wanting her back within the confines of the story.
]
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Lonecow wrote:

Well we've already seen proof that Kurono cares more about Katou than any of the other unfortunate people trapped in GANTZ's game. spoiler[Although it was certainly a shock that he decided to bring Nishi back to life. Seeing him mutilated and begging for his life like that must have really traumatized him. (Then again, that is when Kurono first noticed that he was getting used to seeing horrific deaths.)]

If anything, I think he'd spoiler[bring Sakuraoka back to life] instead of Kishimoto. After all, spoiler[she died to protect him. Kishimoto just wanted to sacrifice herself for Katou.] Not to mention Kishimoto was just an emo attempted suicide victim anyway. Who wants to hang around someone like that?
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Well this is always good to read. Can't wait for the ending and hopefully somebody animates the rest of Gantz.
Lonecow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Lonecow wrote:

Well we've already seen proof that Kurono cares more about Katou than any of the other unfortunate people trapped in GANTZ's game. spoiler[Although it was certainly a shock that he decided to bring Nishi back to life. Seeing him mutilated and begging for his life like that must have really traumatized him. (Then again, that is when Kurono first noticed that he was getting used to seeing horrific deaths.)]

If anything, I think he'd spoiler[bring Sakuraoka back to life] instead of Kishimoto. After all, spoiler[she died to protect him. Kishimoto just wanted to sacrifice herself for Katou.] Not to mention Kishimoto was just an emo attempted suicide victim anyway. Who wants to hang around someone like that?

Yeah I agree. spoiler[I always thought he just brought back Niishi because Niishi knew all this stuff about Gantz and he knew he could finally get some answers by bringing him back, which he did.

I think Kei doesn't want to bring back any more of the women because it would just make his life more complicated. There are already two of him now just to keep his two girls happy. If he brought Sakuraoka back he'd have to create a third version of himself because he promised he'd be with her as well. If that was the case he should bring Kishimoto back just to drive her insane, "Hey you thought I was disgusting? Well I had to split myself into three just to make all these women happy who want my bod."]
akumakun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Guys the chick on the top left corner of the magazine picture... who is she? .... she is HOTT me want some booty... *ahem* I mean Gantz... LULZ
VLOXY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Posting in epic GANTZ News Thread....

It sucks that it is coming to an end.

Crying or Very sad
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying the craziness that is gantz. It would be cool if it were animated again, but with the sort of content in it I can see why it would never happen, at least not in a commercially viable manner.

One thing I don't understand though...

spoiler[Why is there a second Kishimoto? Did someone wish for her to come back? Was it some kind of copying error? Or a copied copy like what happened to Kei? This was never really explained, but perhaps there is something to it that could be pivitol in the end?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2