• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bringing the Heat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Also, I wasn't comparing Last Exile's CG to those of top-tier movies only series of which I think it ranks quite highly.

That is always an excellent point! TV budgets are never as good as a feature film. Last Exile wasn't made by Pixar... Part of the fun of anime is how awesome it can be on a shoestring budget.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:
The reason you know this is a show for 12-year-olds and not 15-year-olds is that Dante never gets laid.

I LOL'ed at this statement. So true.

Erin wrote:
We slowly learn about the world, how Judoh closed it's borders

Hate to be a grammar Nazi about this, but it's is always a contraction, most likely of it is or it has. Its is the possessive form it.

"I Love Me" sounds like a fascinating study of a life lived fast and hard, but maybe too long.

I am so envious of this week's shelves. I should buy the Matrix of Leadership Transformers box set, and there's so much more on those shelves I'd like to have -- if I had the funds and the space.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:41 pm Reply with quote
There we go, Erin! Way to finally put something in the perishable section. Doing a great job so far. At least you're not trashing anime like Bamboo did at some points.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Here are some examples of very bad CG blends: Golgo 13: The Professional (movie), The Last Starfighter. Last Exile is somewhere between those two. It might be worth noting that I'm an old school Doctor Who fan. I have tolerance for bad special effects.

Are you talking about the Luc Besson film? With Natalie Portman and Jean Reno in it? There's CGI in that? Where? (seriously no saracasm here) I love that movie, and noticed they used CGI.

Anyway another great set of reviews. And those shlves this week looked really nice Surprised .

Last edited by Prede on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Also, I wasn't comparing Last Exile's CG to those of top-tier movies only series of which I think it ranks quite highly.

That is always an excellent point! TV budgets are never as good as a feature film. Last Exile wasn't made by Pixar... Part of the fun of anime is how awesome it can be on a shoestring budget.

Yeah, sometimes the more interesting looks come from the shows with seemingly smaller budgets.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Not just including manga, but the CDs too, in with the DVDs? Well, my mind is blown.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Another good read, Erin. Very Happy
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I lol'd a few times reading the Daphne review. Even though I'll never watch it, the show still manages to entertain me by proxy.

bglassbrook wrote:
Not just including manga, but the CDs too, in with the DVDs? Well, my mind is blown.

Yeah, that's what I thought Laughing

Nice shelves though. The only box I'm missing from there (of the series I own)--oh wait, two actually--are FMP 1 and Rahxephon (and technically Gantz, but I have the cool sphere so I don't count that Razz ). And is that Ergo Proxy box just the Funi thinpack, or did Geneon actually release one at some point? I had to cannibalize a box from the Madman release, as I did with Death Note...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's less ironic when Patty, a 10-year-old girl with curly ringlets takes up residency in the Devil May Cry offices. Patty is annoying in the same way a little sister can be annoying. In fact, she really drags down the show. On the plus side, thank god she's not there for some sick lolicon reason.

Yeah, this is what sort of ruined DMC for me. I didn't exactly expect it to be good. I just wanted something mindless and actiony to appeal to my inner 12 year old. It actually kind of struggles to do even that though.

Quote:
This could be Shelf Worthy if you can get it on sale. $49.95 SRP is too expensive, but for $30 or less this would be a good buy.

Get it before it's gone

Quote:
I really liked Escaflowne, even though the plot turned into shenanigans part way through

I'm glad to hear somebody else say this. I've always felt that although it was still good, Escaflowne's plot kind of goes down hill in the second half.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:33 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
(FYI Japan, Clair is not a boy's name)

The same thought occurred to me while watching Baccano. Anime hyper

Wonder why that is...?

Sure it is.

Nice to see some positive comments for the show. I've owned a copy for a while now.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I would put Daphne in rental category.
The first episode, unlike so many other anime series first episodes, was good in a tragic comic way to make me want to continue.
The character designs were weird, I had the same questions about the mission outfits, most of the comedy pretty much missed me (though the recurring gag about the bad guys brothers/sister and unfortunate kidnappings made me almost chuckle)...

But when it finally came time for the plot (going from memory, about 7 episodes I think), I actually wanted to find out what was going on.
That is a lot more than can be said for a lot of series out there in my opinion.
One of the stranger license rescues, rented via netflix, no desire to own or watch again.
I hold the same view on shelf worthy status, though if I can get something for under $2 an episode, I will generally blind buy it.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

Well people really stopped nameing their sons that name in a real hurry. Wonder what the hell happened in the 1960's that made people go "wait...Clair for a boy's name? Nah!".

Last edited by Prede on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Good to see that someone else despises Merle with a passion. As much as I tend to like catgirls, Merle was a clear exception.
domino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:35 am Reply with quote
Wait, $50 is too expensive for a 26-episode anime these days? How times have changed... no wonder the industry is suffering.

I remember gladly paying $40 per Fruits Basket DVD for 1/4 of the series at a time. And an unspeakable amount of money was poured into my now-useless subtitled-only (the sub tapes always cost around $10 more than the dubs, which confuses me because they required less work) VHS collection...

Anime fans these days have it too easy. *shakes fist*
(but at the same time.. woohoo, cheap DVDs!)
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
This Shelf Life was, too me, MUCH better than last weeks.

Great discription on Heat Guy J!!! I couldn't have said it better myself.

To me though, when CG is in anime, I focus less on how it looks with 2D, and more on how the atmosphere gets by with it's presence i.e. Last Exile's cloud battles and the battleships in general were... breathtaking...

It didn't matter that the people stood out like a sore thumb, I found the blend to be art all within itself.
Sorta like Gankutsuou. The Armors were big stickers, but who cared?

Your discription on Daphne, sorta reminds me of Divergence Eve. Which was a babbling materpiece, like Ghost in the Shell.

Daphne isn't something I'll try out anytime soon, but all the same: Fan-service laden box arts, usually belie a very, VERY impressive plot: Welcome to the NHK is a perfect example!

Keep up the good work though!!! Between you and me: I'd show EVERYONE Welcome to the NHK!!! It really blew me away... Well that and Air!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6