• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bringing the Heat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Quote:
(FYI Japan, Clair is not a boy's name)

The same thought occurred to me while watching Baccano. Anime hyper

Wonder why that is...?

http://www.behindthename.com/name/clair

It's rare but it exists/existed (they even dropped the "e" to make is masculin which especially americans like to ignore it seems)
Sunni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
What's to the left of Inuyasha in the pic?
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
Sunni wrote:
What's to the left of Inuyasha in the pic?

Baccano!.

Edit: Out of curiosity, why - and more importantly, how - does/can he have three TTGL boxsets and two Baccano! boxsets? They're all different, that's what gets me. That's just odd. Very odd. In fact, I notice that much of what he's got comes in more than one box, either because of series length, multiple seasons garnering their own boxsets, or because the show was presumably released in halves (courtesy of FUNimation, heh). But that still doesn't explain Baccano! and TTGL. Perhaps a Blu-Ray release???
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
The TTGL boxes are the disposable (in my opinion--I never keep those things) storage units for the three dub LEs.

Baccano!, I have no idea about. I can't even see a second box in the pictures. You sure it isn't something else?
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I was disappointed to see Daphne in the Brilliant Blue on the Perishable list, but then again it is not a show for everyone. I liked it, but then again I'm an ecchi fan so I enjoy these types of show regardless of how original not original the show is.

Same with me. I also like it a lot. Though i'm a rabid fanservice junkie,this one does have an interesting storyline on maia's past. and unlike most fanservice - ecchi series they do allow some character development.

Even for non main characters like Maia's best friend tsuaksa gets her time in a couple of epsiodes,though the only complaint is that those mafia brothers and their sister remindes me too much of team rocket at times,and though nerid's costumes look bizzare,it's not enough to give it a pershiable in my eyes.

It's not high quality i can admit but it's passable. though i would say that it should get a shelf worthy i'd say rent the series cause of the so-so outfits,but for ecchi fans that wants some substance, it's a definate need to be shelf worthy.

Also what's need to be shelf worthy is definately Devil May Cry ( for anyone who likes violent series and who liked the games) like myself.

Sure dante's no Vash or no Alucard,but at least we should be greatful he's not like Desert Punk's Kenta. i played all the games and like them and since this spoiler[ follows betwen DMC 1 and DMC 2 ] it's a definate interest for anyone who's play the games. the art is cool though they made lady from DMC 3 really medicore art wise which was a minus for me. other than that it's a hit cause it has the best dub since most anime movies & series that are based from videogames (except street fighter) are really awful,so this was a blessing. overall its a definate must have for fans of the games and for actions buffs out there.

my grade:

Shelf Worthy:

Devil May Cry

Rental Shelf:

Daphne in the Brilliant Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Baccano!, I have no idea about. I can't even see a second box in the pictures. You sure it isn't something else?

It's there. Here are the two I see:

Second-to-top shelf, far left.

Sitting on top of empty Haruhi figurine package which is in the bottom-left corner.

The first is clearly marked with the show's name, the second has unmistakable pictures of Psycho, Wimpy and Quiet (as I like to call them).
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only similar anime series I've seen is Burst Angel, which has the distinction of being god-awful boring, despite sexy character designs.

Can't agree to that. Burst Angel is one of my personal favorite action series, so entertaining in its bizarre campiness it is.

Quote:
I love the Haruhi anime and novels, but I'm continually offended by Mikuru's asymmetrical breast bouncing, Haruhi costume-raping her, and the fact that when Mikuru is sexually harassed it's played up for laughs. Everything else about the show is fine.

Can agree to that. Seeing Mikuru cry like that as Haruhi practically molests her, it's not even executed in a silly cartoon way.

Hmm, I'm almost interested in seeing Heat Guy J now. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought the CGI in Last Exile was outstanding and really blended well with the overall animation, unlike most series. And any Anime fan who has Haibane Renmei in their collection is an instant winner to me. Again, Erin, keep up the good work!

Last edited by pachy_boy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

It's there. Here are the two I see:

Second-to-top shelf, far left.

Sitting on top of empty Haruhi figurine package which is in the bottom-left corner.

The first is clearly marked with the show's name, the second has unmistakable pictures of Psycho, Wimpy and Quiet (as I like to call them).

Have you not purchased Baccano? The second "box" is the paper insert that comes with the Vol. 1 DVD inside the artbox. Most throw theirs away, but apparently Aidan felt like keeping it.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote
This must the third or fourth time that I've read something good about Heat Guy J, I really am going to have to take the time to pick than up and give it a proper viewing.

I am also one of those who would move Daphne up to the rental shelf. (Personally I'd give it shelf-worthy) I already went on about it once in detail, but suffice it to say that it was always about Daphne to me. The Nereids' costumes are just distractions, and Daphne's boss at Nereids is a total b*tch, and the rest of it pales to the fact that Daphne is spoiler[the last survivor of a city destroyed by the other cities.] When I found my focus on the struggles she was going through with everything, my enjoyment of the series increased quite a bit.

Enjoyable review nonetheless.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Have you not purchased Baccano?

I have the first two DVDs, should get the third one soon. Fourth one only recently came out in Australia, which is always ahead of New Zealand. At any rate my local shop hasn't received it yet.

doctordoom85 wrote:
The second "box" is the paper insert that comes with the Vol. 1 DVD inside the artbox. Most throw theirs away, but apparently Aidan felt like keeping it.

I didn't manage to get my grubby mitts on the collector's boxset + Volume 1, so I don't know if the R4 version has that or not. A lot of what I saw on those shelves - that I see every week in fact - has never been released in New Zealand. Case in point; the absolutely gorgeous RahXephon boxset that Aidan has. I would kill for my boxset to look like that . . .

Am I serious or merely joking? Well, I AM the resident RahXephon freak around here . . . you decide.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
Shelf Life wrote:
As humans, our brains naturally try to make connections and invent narratives to explain the outside world.

That's assuming people know what the "outside world" is.

Because it seems this...
Quote:
The technological advances of the future include ... and last but perhaps most importantly, the strapless thong.

rather shows that the outside world of today isn't well known. Otherwise, one would be aware of these things called "pasties" (observed on several beaches).

Then we have personal observations which really throw things into confusion...
Quote:
Daphne is also superior to Burst Angel because there's no lolicon sex object character.

...as having seen Burst Angel, I'm at a complete loss on what character was the lolicon sex object. If the reference was toward Amy, then we're at a disagreement as I never portrayed her as a sex object. It would be nice to know what character the quote referenced.

Quote:
For reasons which go unexplained, the Nereids strip down to bikinis to fight.

Our brains should have also put together the "need" to strip comes down to avoiding hindrance of clothing, or at the very least, the possibility the chase would end up in the water (it happens, often). Given what the girls wear on land, this makes the most logical reasoning.

Quote:
...but this was surprisingly un-misogynistic and inoffensive.

Translation: Ecchi fans are going to be sorely disappointed as the cover art suckers them easily.
For those who don't buy on ecchi impulses, the quote "never judge a book by its cover" has just been enforced.

The review closes with...
Quote:
What the hell?! How can this show exist?!

... which boggles my freakin' mind. It's not offensive, sexually exploited, and offers several chuckles.

Yet, it's perishable? Something simply doesn't add up here.

I had to stop reading at this point. I'm quite comfortable someone's opinion about a show will differ than mine, but as a human, my brain naturally tries to tie up words as to make sense of the opinion.

At least I can understand the comment about the brain grinding to a halt. Mine did the same.

I'll try finishing the rest of the column at some point.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:26 am Reply with quote
Great shelves. Here is a true collector. Kudos on the high quality. I have nearly all of those--our tastes are eerily similar--but have added some to the find list now.

Erin, I'm enjoying your reviews even more. Quite agree with your observations on Daphne, though I do have it on my shelf, and will one day watch it again. Certainly for the majority it's no more than a rental. It was briefly considered for my Sell stack, though, which is my criteria for "perishable" (as in, Divergence Eve). The characters and partly the writing saved it. (BTW, I agree with PJ in the cross-post--definitely false advertising on that box Wink)

But come on...
Quote:
You know what's way more offensive that this show? Mikuru's treatment in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Lighten up. It's just good comedy Smile. Now I'm really curious to see your take on similar fare in future reviews, if this offends you.

Quote:
a young Kusama running through Central Park, naked and painted in polka dots, in the middle of a sort-of flash mob that she arranged

Ah, those were the days... I miss the 60's. Thanks much for reviewing this (just ordered my copy). But humility in an artist? Unnecessary and generally boring trait.
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
Here are some examples of very bad CG blends: Golgo 13: The Professional (movie), The Last Starfighter. Last Exile is somewhere between those two. It might be worth noting that I'm an old school Doctor Who fan. I have tolerance for bad special effects.

Are you talking about the Luc Besson film? With Natalie Portman and Jean Reno in it? There's CGI in that? Where? (seriously no saracasm here) I love that movie, and noticed they used CGI.

No, this one is being referred to with its awesomeness of CG helicopters circa 1983.

---

Count me in as another person who would list Daphne as Rental Shelf material at the least. It's an enjoyable, light scifi series that has its imperfections, but really doesn't do too much horribly wrong except for going for the extra fanservice, which seems to be a deadly sin to some. I'm not even really sure why the author ranked it Perishable to begin with asides from the dislike of its character designs and a nebulous description of the various tiers within the Rental and Perishable categories.
rabrek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
And is that Ergo Proxy box just the Funi thinpack, or did Geneon actually release one at some point? I had to cannibalize a box from the Madman release, as I did with Death Note...

Geneon had a box + bonus DVD option for vol 1.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I'm not biased against Gonzo, like say, Daryl of Anime World Order. Gonzo makes a lot of shows. Not all of them can be good. Daryl often complains Gonzo's shows tank halfway through. I haven't had the good fortune to actually finish a lot of Gonzo series, so - we'll see in future columns...

Hey, get my positions right! Gonzo shows don't tank "halfway through," they tank after the third episode. (That's on average; some fall apart sooner!) If OAVs still existed, Gonzo's ideas would be perfect since they'd only need to sustain the premise for a few episodes. But now instead of OAVs, they make 13 episode TV series instead, and they just aren't capable of keeping things interesting for that long. For reference, the Gonzo shows I like are Gankutsuou, Last Exile (more for the setting than the plot and the characters who are not Alex, also I don't care for its ending), and Speed Grapher which is just RIDICULOUS. That's...pretty much it, which leads me to wonder if Mahiro Maeda was the only guy there who every once in a while knew what he was doing. The remainder tends to start off showing potential only to tremendously fall apart. Even Burst Angel starts off with the promise of crazy gunfights and a giant robot named Django. But then you realize that the Koichi Ohata constrained by television broadcast standards is not the same as the "Most Dangerous" Koichi Ohata of yesteryear. It COULD have been good...if it wasn't Burst Angel.

KanjiiZ wrote:
There we go, Erin! Way to finally put something in the perishable section. Doing a great job so far. At least you're not trashing anime like Bamboo did at some points.

Hold on. Why is "trashing" anime a bad thing? If you say everything is good, then nothing is good. (The same logic applies if you say everything is bad.) Per Erin's interpretation of what the three categories mean--good for Shelf Worthy, average for Rental Shelf, and bad for Perishable--it only makes sense that the vast, vast majority of titles reviewed will be considered "Rental Shelf" because the majority of things are "average" per the very definition of the word. Only a quite small amount of things will be either Shelf Worthy or Perishable. The problem of course is when people interpret your having said "this is okay" as "trashing" said something, as was the case with the diehard FMP: TSR fans last column. These people then brand you with an unjustified "you hate everything" tag because even though you like something, you didn't like something ENOUGH. I never understood that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6