• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Bringing the Heat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
So no love for Kiddy Grade, Vandread, Full Metal Panic!, Basilisk, Bokurano, Seto no Hanayome, Welcome to the NHK, Chrno Crusade, or Saikano?
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So no love for Kiddy Grade, Vandread, Full Metal Panic!, Basilisk, Bokurano, Seto no Hanayome, Welcome to the NHK, Chrno Crusade, or Saikano?

Haven't seen: Kiddy Gade, Vandread, Seto no Hanayome, or Welcome to the NHK (read the book of the latter, tried to watch the anime and hated it, long story)

Very good: Basilisk

Okay: Bokurano, Full Metal Panic!, Saikano

Series I hate more than any other in the world: Chrono Crusade

Re: Devil May Cry

My best analogy for this series is that it's like a long-distance runner who sprinted out of the start line only to stop about fifty meters out and jog in place. The first episode is surprisingly artistic, and of course the music and art are great throughout. But the story and characters go nowhere; a few episodes work as stand alones, but mostly it's just boring.

Re: photos

You have Utena! ENVY!! Oh, and kudos for getting the Geneon Gankutsuou box set. Enjoy the extras, they're phenomenal. And holy cow, I had that Hellsing wallscroll back in college...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:45 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

And the other boot drops. I was beginning to think you and I had the exact same taste in anime. Anime hyper

May I ask, why the hate?
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
"I Love Me" sounds like a fascinating study of a life lived fast and hard, but maybe too long.

When people talk about "the fast life" I picture drinking, partying, and gambling or whathave you. I wouldn't say Kusama has lived a "fast" life. Maybe a "sleepless" life where she's worked on her art every day to the point of collapse. The interviews with her 1960's artists friends are all them saying how she worked harder than anyone, and never stopped.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Wait, $50 is too expensive for a 26-episode anime these days? How times have changed... no wonder the industry is suffering.

It's too expensive for that series, and by today's standards, anyway. There's a recession, you know?
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Yayoi Kusama - everything I've read talks about how she has no choice but to paint. She needs to get the art out of her.

I'm sorry that she seems to be in pain, but her art moves me. I hope she's able to find some peace while she's still alive.

Her declarations seem more a dismissal of the things she's heard people tell her all her life.

Her performance art pieces in the 60's were brave and entertaining. It's too bad that she's been overshadowed by other New York artists in the past 20 years. Warhol can't hold a candle to her.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Shelf Life wrote:
Quote:
The technological advances of the future include ... and last but perhaps most importantly, the strapless thong.

rather shows that the outside world of today isn't well known. Otherwise, one would be aware of these things called "pasties" (observed on several beaches).
I know about pasties, but not strapless underwear, or strapless bikini bottoms. How would that... stick? Seems like it would hurt, or you'd have to "get a Brazilian".

I can only assume that in Daphne there's some kind of painless laser hair removal process. Thinking about hair removal isn't very sexy... yikes.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
...as having seen Burst Angel, I'm at a complete loss on what character was the lolicon sex object.
Amy - the one with pigtails who carries a teddy bear. How old is she supposed to be?

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Our brains should have also put together the "need" to strip comes down to avoiding hindrance of clothing, or at the very least, the possibility the chase would end up in the water (it happens, often). Given what the girls wear on land, this makes the most logical reasoning.
That's crazy. I'm not a street brawler, I mean, I've never been in a fist fight, but typically cops wear some kind of protective gear, like a bullet proof vest. At least a leather jacket would make it easier to take a punch. It's like leather armor, it improves you Armor Class by at least two points. What if your opponents have knives? I'd want to wear a leather jacket.

What do Olympic wrestlers wear? Full body spandex? Those outfits aren't liable to be yanked off in quite the same way as a bikini top.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
nooneofconsequence wrote:
Count me in as another person who would list Daphne as Rental Shelf material at the least. It's an enjoyable, light scifi series that has its imperfections, but really doesn't do too much horribly wrong except for going for the extra fanservice, which seems to be a deadly sin to some. I'm not even really sure why the author ranked it Perishable to begin with asides from the dislike of its character designs and a nebulous description of the various tiers within the Rental and Perishable categories.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Yet, it's perishable? Something simply doesn't add up here.

My brain died while I watched it. If I huffed some markers and lost brain cells doing so, I wouldn't advise others to do the same.

If someone asked me "Should I rent Daphne?" I'd say no, but it might have some caveat questions, such as, "Do you like ecchi?" (although this wasn't ecchi enough to be ecchi) or "Did you actually like Burst Angel?" or "Do you wish Marine Boy was a sexy show about lady bounty hunters?"

I mean, it was almost a rental, and just barely perishable, because the first episode is an interesting set up, and ending is pretty decent sci-fi. There are some laughs in the middle, but I still felt like I was wasting my life watching it.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Hold on. Why is "trashing" anime a bad thing? If you say everything is good, then nothing is good. (The same logic applies if you say everything is bad.)

I have no problem with this sentiment, myself. fudge good and bad, there's just what you like and don't like, and nothing else matters. A reviewer should talk about their own opinion of a show, and their readers should decide how much the reviewer's biases interlace with their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
Daphne is also superior to Burst Angel because there's no lolicon sex object character.

...as having seen Burst Angel, I'm at a complete loss on what character was the lolicon sex object. If the reference was toward Amy, then we're at a disagreement as I never portrayed her as a sex object. It would be nice to know what character the quote referenced.

I love Burst Angel, but have you ever looked at what Amy is wearing? Short-shorts and a bare-midriff. What else do you need her to do beyond dressing like that to be a sex object? What else do Jo, Meg, and Sei do that make them sex objects, but not her? Have boobs (note: Jo doesn't have boobs either, really)? That's where the lolicon thing comes into play.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Have you not purchased Baccano? The second "box" is the paper insert that comes with the Vol. 1 DVD inside the artbox. Most throw theirs away, but apparently Aidan felt like keeping it.

Strange thing is, I purchased the LE, and I don't remember that box at all, even having seen it now. But then, I do count them as disposable.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure why people have a problem with Gonzo. Sure some of their shows are rather poor, but that's only because they have so many shows. Some great shows they have done are Saikano (still watching this), Last Exile (still watching this it's nothing amazing but it's ok), Gantz (terrible ending, but a good show. Just not the masterpeice people claim it to be), Gankutsuou (still watching but this is EPIC, amazing show), Desert Punk (very funny!), Speed Grapher (amazing series with perfect ending!), Welcome to the N.H.K. (outright terrible ending, perhaps the worst middle finger of an ending they've ever given to fans, but other then that a really good series), Red Garden (amazing ending, better then Gantz), Romeo x Juliet, (still watching), and Pumpkin Scissors (bad ending...great show). Plus I can't wait to check out Bokurano. That's a series i know I will love. Kitoh for the win.

Gonzo seems to have so many good shows. In fact I would have expected them to have more bad series then they do. I think it's quite a miracle they have so many good series actually. Not every show can be a masterpeice. Now they aren't my favorite studio, far from it. But I do tend to like their stuff.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

And the other boot drops. I was beginning to think you and I had the exact same taste in anime. Anime hyper

May I ask, why the hate?

Sent you a PM, don't want to hijack the thread. It's a long angry rant, just to warn you. I really just despise that series.

Prede:
People bash GONZO because in the most recent couple of years they haven't done much worth watching and have produced quite a few big stinkers (read Theron's review of Dragonaut). But some of the hate comes from how many people still watch every GONZO show that comes out because we know it's a GONZO series and they've done so much good stuff in the past. The result is that while some studios produce complete crap and it gets ignored, we all know when GONZO's left behind some foul waste. Most of the GONZO hate comes, I think, from former GONZO fans. It's a weird relationship: we keep coming back hoping to get the studio we used to love, and when we're disappointed, we bash them, only to go back the next time hoping things will be different.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic: Ah well that second point makes a lot of sense. But the people who are truly to blame is not really Gonzo, but those who keep coming back. It's quite clear their tastes do not lie well with that studio (anymore) yet they come back time and time again anyway. And they get their hopes up to be smashed. That's their doing. They may be more resposible then even Gonzo.

And I'm not one to think their quailty has decreased as the years have went by. They have always had their stinkers, and they still can put out one hell of a show (Romeo X Juliet is trully an amazing series, an intellegent re-telling of the classic story, and so far very well put together. They still have talent that that studio).
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:09 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Welcome to the N.H.K. (outright terrible ending, perhaps the worst middle finger of an ending they've ever given to fans, but other then that a really good series),

Buwuh? So following the actual ending from the original novel is now a middle finger to the fans? Also NHK has one of my favorite endings ever...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6