• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kurokami's U.S. BD Release to Have English Dub Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akumakun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Mehhh.. Who cares anyways.... This anime Suc*ed badd. Confused I wouln't buy it even if it were offered at 1 buck per disc.
Koji98

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Isn't Japan kinda in denial about this? I mean, I'm sure it's easy to get a region-free DVD player in Japan, so why suddenly raise a fuss when Blu-Ray came along and it was region-free discs right off the bat? I'm sure Japanese fans who were concerned about price on their DVDs were buying region-free players and importing R1 DVDs a long time ago. SIGH.

Probably because even with region codes on Blu Ray, Japan and the US use the same region code, so technically it's easier/cheaper to import a copy from the US to Japan without even needing to buy a region free player.
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mehhh.. Who cares anyways.... This anime Suc*ed badd.

Probably true, and it doesn't look like anything I'd buy in a million years. Still, the worrisome thing is whether this sets a precedent for future marketing.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
With all due respect, Bandai, WTF? As if 6 episodes a disc instead of a boxset with the first 11-12 episodes (the series is 23 episodes) or a complete series boxset isn't okay with you, you delayed the original intended release date that would've been in June.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the argument of the Japanese importing blurays is an excuse here. I mean Funimation makes their blurays cheap as hell (Tsubasa just came out for $60), but they still keep the Japanese language track on there. I think it just comes down to Bandai/Honneamise loving money too much.
MARl0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
This is about as epic fail as you can possibly get. Way to stick it to your fans AGAIN Bandai. And this is coming from a strictly dub-only fan.
akumakun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Probably true, and it doesn't look like anything I'd buy in a million years. Still, the worrisome thing is whether this sets a precedent for future marketing.

Yeah.... maybe they knew that this wouldnt sell dat well and thus they had a chance to try this new selling strategy to see just how many they would sell.... Although I doubt they will try this with good animes *cough Code Geass *cough
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
More reverse importation fears shenanigans. The series flopped badly in Japan, did they really think Japanese fans were going to go out of their way to import the US Blu-ray release unless if it was crippled? With the way some companies are behaving, I'm caring less and less if the R1 companies/divisions go out of business.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I canceled my pre-order of Kurokami a couple of months ago when I figured out there would be a Blu-ray version.

And then this... Rolling Eyes

Yeah I prefer the BD format, and am even willing to pay a little more for it. But cutting episodes and soundtracks? Blows the mind. Even with reverse importation fears factored in.

Weird news day. On one hand we hear of a Japanese firm starting to put out boxsets. On the other have a delusional R1 company doing the opposite due to the bidding of their Japanese masters.

akumakun wrote:
Yeah.... maybe they knew that this wouldnt sell dat well and thus they had a chance to try this new selling strategy to see just how many they would sell.... Although I doubt they will try

They already tried this strategy. It was called Bandai Visual. Laughing

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:47 pm Reply with quote
For a series that not only strayed from the original work, but also went off the deep end, buying it for only the English-dub is dumb from head to toe, not to mention that I heard the dub for this series was bad when it aired on TV in the US. If this was for something that had a better/decent dub, then maybe I would consider, but the issue of putting less episodes on a Blu-Ray than a DVD simply tells us that Bandai USA doesn't know how to encode properly.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
but the issue of putting less episodes on a Blu-Ray than a DVD simply tells us that Bandai USA doesn't know how to encode properly.

No it doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Reverse importation or no reverse importation, this move will do nothing to encourage people to buy the BD's for this show. If anything, it will just encourage standard DVD sales.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh, NOW they finally announce an American release date for Kurokami! And here I've already watched the whole show on YouTube. ABOUT GODDAMN TIME!

But why cut so much from the Blu-Ray version, which HAS MORE SPACE FOR MORE STUFF? And why release single discs in a day and age of box sets? WHAT THE fudge ARE THEY THINKING? HURR HURR HURR HURR HURR HURR! Why doesn't Bandai open their eyes and accept the fact that single discs are DEAD? (Furthermore, what was the industry even thinking using singles PERIOD? Why not just release the shows in box sets right out the gate like American TV shows? What do they think will happen?)

Since they're pulling a Fruits Basket with the DVDs, guess that'll mean fewer discs to buy, though. Smile
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
So that's what a tumor feels like
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
It must be really insulting to be a Blu-Ray anime fan right about now. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9