• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kurokami's U.S. BD Release to Have English Dub Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
What a massive failure. No English subtitles? Might as well throw away the BD discs right now. Such stupidity - they just dont get it. This was a fantastic start - but only if they included the subtitles in English on it. Now instead of selling, its going to be a doorstop. Nobody is going to buy it.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:13 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It must be really insulting to be a Blu-Ray anime fan right about now. Confused

Yes...I feel mildly violated. Crying or Very sad ....then again I'm not hearing such great things about the show so....no big deal Wink
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
I'm sure it wasn't US Bandai that made this decision. I'm sure it was on the Japanese end and they didn't want Japanese consumers to import the US BDs to get them cheaper.

Why is it that no other anime company besides Bandai is so deathly afraid of the threat of reverse importation of US releases to the point that they'll deliberately sabotage their own releases in the hopes of preventing it? When was reverse importation EVER this deal-breaking problem that threatened to bring the Japanese DVD market to its knees? The "stop people from buying the show from anywhere outside of Japan NO MATTER THE COST" strategy did not work well for them when they decided to release Mobile Suit Gundam dub-only (in addition to the laundry list of other stupid things they did when releasing Gundam in the US). All that happened was that the fans opted not to purchase that release in the hopes of an eventual sub/dub release that never happened, presumably because they saw that nobody bought the dub-only discs and concluded there was no value in releasing the show again.

But now they're going to do it again? What do the Japanese think will happen differently this time? I'm sure the US folks at Bandai Entertainment raise these concerns and get shot down such that their hands are tied on the matter, but that doesn't make it any less boneheaded a move.

akumakun wrote:
Mehhh.. Who cares anyways.... This anime Suc*ed badd. Confused I wouln't buy it even if it were offered at 1 buck per disc.

Consider this: if they're willing to go this far for a show that NOBODY cares about, what will they do with shows that people would actually WANT to consider importing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
but the issue of putting less episodes on a Blu-Ray than a DVD simply tells us that Bandai USA doesn't know how to encode properly.

No it doesn't.

It means that Bandai wants to make more money on the BR release.

The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
(Furthermore, what was the industry even thinking using singles PERIOD? Why not just release the shows in box sets right out the gate like American TV shows? What do they think will happen?)

If you actually remember, TV on DVD started with singles and then moved to the box set format. Oh, and good luck going back in time and convincing the Japanese, who still release in singles, before FUNi did.

kokuryu wrote:
What a massive failure. No English subtitles? Might as well throw away the BD discs right now. Such stupidity - they just don't get it. This was a fantastic start - but only if they included the subtitles in English on it. Now instead of selling, its going to be a doorstop. Nobody is going to buy it.
There are dub fans who don't care about subs who will buy this. The english track is an original language track too which makes things slightly different.
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Damn. And I so wanted to buy this, too.

I haven't bought a dub-only DVD since... ever! If there's no Japanese track, then I don't consider it "uncut." I'm more inclined to buy the Japanese BD now, but they're pretty expensive so I'm not going to. Hopefully they change their mind at some point in the future. They could at least sell a more expensive version with Japanese audio in the US.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It must be really insulting to be a Blu-Ray anime fan right about now. Confused

Yes... yes it is.

Although up until recently, all my Blu-Rays were Bandai (or Bandai's Honneamise). There was never any kind of fiasco like this for their movies. So I had high hopes for them. I just hope this doesn't kill their chances of getting actual series done right on BD.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't have anything more to add that hasn't been already said. I just want to join the chorus and say that this decision is a horrible one.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:

akumakun wrote:
Mehhh.. Who cares anyways.... This anime Suc*ed badd. Confused I wouln't buy it even if it were offered at 1 buck per disc.

Consider this: if they're willing to go this far for a show that NOBODY cares about, what will they do with shows that people would actually WANT to consider importing?

I agree. Imagine what it would be like if this spreads to Code Geass or Gundam 00.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Maybe that's why the Geass R2 and Gundam 00 recent releases are as shitty as they are.

Bandai has no godamn clue what they're going whatsover. Me thinks the final R2 set will be my swan song with them....
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Utter stupidity, or worse really. Note this means someone made a decision (these things don't "just happen") to not offer a BD sub version at all to U.S. fans (R1).

Count me as not buying either of these. Not a bad show, not great, but I would have paid for the singles partially to help support the industry.
Afax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
what a load of garbage.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to a show thats actually worth paying for
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Utter stupidity, or worse really. Note this means someone made a decision (these things don't "just happen") to not offer a BD sub version at all to U.S. fans (R1).

Count me as not buying either of these. Not a bad show, not great, but I would have paid for the singles partially to help support the industry.

Is an industry that seems content with committing suicide an industry worth supporting?
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
I don't have anything more to add that hasn't been already said. I just want to join the chorus and say that this decision is a horrible one.

I agree, WTF is Bandai Entertainment thinking!?!

Their sales already have to suck right now with them only doing subs, why oh why do they do a dub, but only A dub on BD.

I was looking forward to at least seeing this series, but I'm not going to buy it now!

Also, I can't wait for these guys to fall victim to the monopoly of FUNiMATION. Then I'll have dubs on my discs, WITH subs. Yay!
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I have come to LIKE Bandai more recently, however this decision has me baffled. Even if it was an order from the Japanese, I would then say "thanks, but no thanks" to paying for any Blu-Ray rights.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
What a waste. Why couldn't they just wait until Feb. and release a full version on BD and standard. I guess they really want to push the English version to BD users. But that's too much. There must be a reason hopefully it won't be Bandai Visual defeat.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I think people might be slightly exaggerating how big a deal this is, sicne you can always just buy the normal Bilingual DVD´s.

It just ruins the Blu-Ray release. And you could already get the Japanese Blu-Rays if you wanted to, and have them be the same region, so it´s not the hugest loss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9