• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kurokami's U.S. BD Release to Have English Dub Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Ah man! This is exciting! It's just like reliving the good old VHS days, except now in expensive High Definition discs that require expensive equipment to play it, and an expensive TV big enough to notice the difference in quality compared to SD. Having only one language track? Surely they're daring and challenging the fan community to accept that this will be the future.

Brilliant move, very very brilliant.

But really, we can understand why not having an English dub makes sense, but where is the logic in cutting the language track that's already completely finished, i.e., no more work on money needing to be put into it. Some might consider a series without an English dub to be not worth their specific time, but we can all agree having no Japanese dub is completely moronic.

And Gundam Unicorn won't help them either, with its single episode releases at premiums.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't care. Since I am a dub fan and I did watch the fansubs and I did mildly enjoy the series, it did keep me entertained. So yeah, doesn't really matter to me.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to join in this conversation, but EVEN IN SIMULTANEOUS WORLD WIDE RELEASES, F.O.E!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
What we have here is a failure to communicate. It seems somebody just didn't realize just how much of anime's retail value in the US comes from the Japanese audio track and English subtitles.

How much does back-importing really happen, anyway?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
fudge BANDAI.
That sums it up.
They used to be a quality company putting out good releases, but over the past year or so we have been dealt with disc defects and delay after delay to the point it gets beyond a joke.
I was quite interested in getting this series on BD since it has some quality animated action seqeuences that do the format justice, yet they lessen the disc count AND dub-only?
No thanks. fudge you Bandai, and you can fudge your DVD release as well.
Either sort yourself out or pull out of the market. They are after all only being kept afloat due to the Gundam franchaise. Take that away and they're just another ADV waiting to happen.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
There are dub fans who don't care about subs who will buy this. The english track is an original language track too which makes things slightly different.

But how many people, even dub fans, realize that fact? Maybe 10? It's not going to affect sales appreciably. Furthermore dub fans buy based on cast lists unless the show itself is a draw (which this one isn't), and I don't think there's anyone in the cast that would pull in many dub groupies.

Bandai will sell more of these to blind buyers in stores thinking the cover looks cool than to people who actually want them.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:20 pm Reply with quote
All to get Blu-ray out but not every one can get a blu-ray player now Bandai it really fuckeing it self up now
loplop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
That's one way to be sure that no one buys the disk. It wasn't on my buy list anyway.

Bandai, You can do better than [expletive] over your customers . . .

Last edited by loplop on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a blu-ray player, so this doesn't affect me. It's strange that Bandai is doing the single-disc-with-6-episodes release for this series at this day and age, especially when they're just making progress by at least having 9 episodes on a 2-disc release. But ultimately I decided I don't care. I loved watching this show on Bandai's Youtube channel. It had a lot of heart with high-quality action scenes, so I feel the single discs will be worth my money-- or at least when I wait for the Bandai sales on Right Stuf.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
It has to be the reverse importing thing or why would they even do this? Dollar is weak and buying R1 would be ever so cheaper, so probably in their mind, they have to gimp our release so it won't appeal to the Japanese audience who pay much more for their disk. Well, Blu-ray has the same region for NA and JPN, so another "benefit" to do this.

DVD the way to go in this case.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:13 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
I don't think the argument of the Japanese importing blurays is an excuse here. I mean Funimation makes their blurays cheap as hell (Tsubasa just came out for $60), but they still keep the Japanese language track on there. I think it just comes down to Bandai/Honneamise loving money too much.

It's different with Funi: some BDs are US only and while others that are released in both JP and US, the US release always trails behind far away, like their DVDs, usually 1-2 years behind.

Bandai's releases for their recent titles are very close to the JP release time.

I wonder (just purely guessing) if they--Bandai Visual, Square Enix, whoever other production committee/sponsor--somehow have been gauging the degree of reverse importation for a few titles and decided it was worth the risk to lower US sales to prevent that.

I mean this is practically antithetical to Bandai Ent's current strategy of targeting sub-viewers, which I'm sure must be doing well enough for them to continue on with it.

einhorn303 wrote:
I think people might be slightly exaggerating how big a deal this is, sicne you can always just buy the normal Bilingual DVD´s.

It just ruins the Blu-Ray release. And you could already get the Japanese Blu-Rays if you wanted to, and have them be the same region, so it´s not the hugest loss.

Problem is as the update mentioned, the JP release won't have the English subs.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Ya know, what really sucks is that Bandai releases more shows that I truly like and want to buy then all of the other companies combined.

I'm trying real hard Bandai, but your not helping me out here much.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'll post here what I said at ToonZone. Curious that Bandai's movie releases have worked out fine whereas its first Blu-Ray release for a series is running into such problems....

It's important to note that so far this is an exception to the rule, not a trend. AFAIK no FUNimation Blu-Ray release has run into these issues and the prices are reasonable. How this is accomplished in contrast to this situation I have no idea, but there it is.

In addition hopefully this is an isolated case, seeing as how there are also Bandai Blu-Ray releases that do have dual audio tracks (Ghost in the Shell and GiTS Innocence, Sword of the Stranger, the Eureka 7 movie, the Escaflowne movie). Unfortunately, even if we narrow this down to a Sunrise or Bandai Visual problem, there's still inconsistent treatment since the Escaflowne film was a Sunrise production. So basically, they're winging it. That's bad news. The good side to it is that if it's a case-by-case basis, other deals could work out differently.

So, time will tell what this portends for other TV series. Frankly, if this is based out of fears about undermining Japanese releases, I would rather see a long delay that waits for major sales to run their course than a faster but gimped release. Of course, I'm assuming that the suits in Japan would use common sense to see that they have nothing to lose once domestic sales have clearly leveled off, but what I'm suggesting seems to make reasonable business sense.

From a practical standpoint for us consumers, Kurokami's Blu-Ray release is clearly a subpar deal. You know, under the right conditions I will buy sub only, and I could theoretically swallow English only if it weren't for the fact that this release is also shorter, which means that the lower price is really no compensation. Most of us shop smart and don't pay MSRP but at 6 volumes going for $25 each Kurokami Blu-Ray will cost $150 MSRP, which means it's going to top Samurai 7 as the most expensive TV anime series released in HD that I know of (its box is $100 MSRP). Except unlike it and all other series, it also has only one audio track.

If they're gonna do it, they should just wait and release it in a collection. At the least, release a series on Blu-Ray in half season sets. But this? This is just an uphill struggle all of the way.

The only way issues like this are overcome is if the series is good enough and/or gorgeous enough for HD to really shine. Freedom's very first release was very expensive, but at least it was a top-notch OVA. For a series? Gundam 00 is just about the only series I would pay a premium for, and even then I'd have to think about it under conditions like this.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

einhorn303 wrote:
I think people might be slightly exaggerating how big a deal this is, sicne you can always just buy the normal Bilingual DVD´s.

It just ruins the Blu-Ray release. And you could already get the Japanese Blu-Rays if you wanted to, and have them be the same region, so it´s not the hugest loss.

Problem is as the update mentioned, the JP release won't have the English subs.

Yup, and I maintain that the ultimate solution to this would have been to just put English subs on the Japanese Blu-Ray, so we could import that. I'm perfectly willing to pay R2-style prices. I think R1 anime is far too cheap. It just seems that there are few American anime fans who are willing to put quality over cheapness, these days.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
How much does back-importing really happen, anyway?

A lot more then you think. The Haruhi DVD's for example... When Bandai first released them back in '07, the Japanese got really jealous that the English release got all those extra goodies that the original Japan release didn't. And they sold fairly well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9