• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kurokami's U.S. BD Release to Have English Dub Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Here's a DVD sale site devoted to reverse importing of R1 dvds to Japan:
http://www.fantasium.com/
Not just anime, of course, but anime seems to be one of their biggest business segments.

On amazon.co.jp by far the longest thread on their internal forum on their blu-ray section is "foreign version of blurays"
http://www.amazon.co.jp/tag/blu-ray/forum/ref=cm_cd_ecf_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1VIPT1QJBQ9W4&cdThread=Tx20ONXCJJ7LQ0K
which lists all blu-rays that have japanese subs or dubs and definitely includes anime.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Yup, and I maintain that the ultimate solution to this would have been to just put English subs on the Japanese Blu-Ray, so we could import that. I'm perfectly willing to pay R2-style prices. I think R1 anime is far too cheap. It just seems that there are few American anime fans who are willing to put quality over cheapness, these days.

Yeah it perplexes me too why they did not include the english subs on the JP release, given how it's already done.

But I disagree on your last point. I think the R2/JP BD releases are far far too expensive. If you look at how much sells, only a few tens out of hundreds of titles actually sell any appreciable amount. Looking at the oricon charts shows a huge sales gap between the handful of big sellers and the rest, which makes sense given how every title is expensive, yet not all titles are "worth" the same.

Your average japanese buyer just does not have that much money to spend--less than US actually (income for the same equivalent professional position in Japan is less than US, with higher cost of living in Tokyo) so he/she will only be able to spend it on his/her most favorite couple of shows. The rest, unsold.

As far as quality goes, I don't see any difference in video quality for shows that are encoded/transferred properly (and most are). Now the JP release do get lots of extras, which is nice, but not 5-10x the cost nice.

@samuelp - thanks for sharing that

Last edited by configspace on Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Fans: Bandai Visual? We thought you guys broke up?

Bandai: HAHAHAHAHA! That was what we wanted you to think! Twisted Evil

But in all seriouness I thought they were doing good with their whole simultaneous release policy, but this does seem like they are taking it a bit far and falling back on the old bad habits that Bandai Visual established out of arrogance.

This happening to Kurokami sort of worries me a bit now about how the simultaneous release of Gundam Unicorn is going to go over next year. There was a chance that my friend and I were going to pay for it over the PSN release and get it the moment it came out but now I'm thinking it's possibly going to be dub only on the Canadian PSN release. This....complicates things..... Confused
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

I'm perfectly willing to pay R2-style prices. I think R1 anime is far too cheap. It just seems that there are few American anime fans who are willing to put quality over cheapness, these days.

I definitely agree that there is no reason to complain about R1 pricing these days, even though people do all the time. But, about $100 for 3 episode on BD is no drop in the bucket. I actually thought about buying the Japanese BD release of this when I first found out in had the English dub on it but I simply could not afford it.

Its not so much that I have a personal problem with the way there handling this as much as it is I know every one else would. It just seems that Bandai really doesn't have a clue what there consumer base wants and I'm starting to get the impression that they don't care.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I have no interest in Kurokami or Gundam Unicorn but I will admit to a tinge of concern regarding even just the potential of a domestic K-On! BluRay release being dubbed-only, since I have no interest in dubs, but I'm not particularly eager to import the Japanese K-On! BluRay disks due to them being a little out of my price range. (Of course, that's *should* K-On! be licensed by Bandai Entertainment, which isn't a given.)

I'd sooner accept a one-year moratorium on "new" anime titles getting billingual (or sub-only) BluRay releases in North America than I would dub-only disks, and I hope this move doesn't kill the potential of BluRay becoming a viable format for anime releases in North America, for those of us only interested in purchasing anime on physical media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
monkeyshinobi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, when i buy my dvds i like having the option of Japanese and english audio, not just english and the BD is costs more, has less episodes (wtf?) might as well just buy the normal dvd :/

I guess I can understand why the Japanese want to buy the american dvd over the japanese release. I went browsing online once for some anime and a set for a few episodes (for hetalia i think?) was nearly $60. Madness i say... -___________-
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai Entertainment tells ANN, "The license for the Japanese audio was not granted for our Blu-Ray release of Kurokami."

Poor Bandai.

Well, I guess that solves the question of why.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
Quote:
Bandai Entertainment tells ANN, "The license for the Japanese audio was not granted for our Blu-Ray release of Kurokami."

Poor Bandai.

Well, I guess that solves the question of why.

Yes. And this means almost without a shadow of a doubt that reverse-importation is at the root of this.

Well, I didn't commit to Kurokami anyway. Hell, I'd be buying the DVDs if I did.
holybell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Let's see how the BD release fares in North America. If sales are (very) low, maybe this will make the Japanese company think twice of allowing Japanese audio included as well the next time around. If not with this series, maybe other future/current Bandai licenses.

Last edited by holybell on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
It's different with Funi: some BDs are US only and while others that are released in both JP and US, the US release always trails behind far away, like their DVDs, usually 1-2 years behind.

And I'm fairly certain that anime releases go out of print relatively quickly in Japan, so a much cheaper non-Japanese release a few months down the road doesn't cut much into what they consider the real profits.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I suspected this, but it certainly makes me give Bandai Ent. a lot more sympathy.

Considering reverse importation fears, you basically get three options, all of which have real-world examples:

1. A delayed release, usually at least multiple years. See: All BD's from Funimation.
2. An expensive release, at the same levels of R2 prices. What Bandai Visual tried to do.
3. A neutered release, what Bandai Ent is trying now.

So, it's "pick your drawback." Personally I'd go with expensive, but it seems like in the long run "delayed" might be favored by the market. Though many-year delayed releases aren't a very good option for those who don't watch fansubs.

configspace wrote:

But I disagree on your last point. I think the R2/JP BD releases are far far too expensive. If you look at how much sells, only a few tens out of hundreds of titles actually sell any appreciable amount. Looking at the oricon charts shows a huge sales gap between the handful of big sellers and the rest, which makes sense given how every title is expensive, yet not all titles are "worth" the same.

Your average japanese buyer just does not have that much money to spend--less than US actually (income for the same equivalent professional position in Japan is less than US, with higher cost of living in Tokyo) so he/she will only be able to spend it on his/her most favorite couple of shows. The rest, unsold.

That's the beauty of the system, though...it insures that the shows which truly succeed have to truly and passionately connect with fans. It rewards high quality. (Yes, some will say, "It only rewards otaku shows!", but I take a utilitarian view of quality).

Also, in regards to US only BD releases from Funi...well, a lot of those are just upscales anyway.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
mania.com is saying that the bluray volumes are going to be priced at 24.98. If that's the case, I guess it's not such a big deal. That's alot cheaper than I was expecting anyway.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Fans: Bandai Visual? We thought you guys broke up?

Bandai: HAHAHAHAHA! That was what we wanted you to think! Twisted Evil
Epic Simpsons reference for the win!

einhorn303 wrote:
So, it's "pick your drawback." Personally I'd go with expensive, but it seems like in the long run "delayed" might be favored by the market. Though many-year delayed releases aren't a very good option for those who don't watch fansubs.
Eh, the fans that want to buy can wait. Those that can't wait generally aren't buying anyway. If all the fansub watchers were buying DVDs (or at least switching to legal streams) the R1 industry would be fine and Bandai might actually be negotiating from a better position.

As it is, Bandai is an arm of a Japanese company and a broken arm at that. They're trying to negotiate with their superiors and, since they're low on cash and hemorrhaging consumers, they got a big no from their bosses. Funimation is in a better position to negotiate given their cash supply and market dominance (what is Bandai's market share nowadays? Better or worse than previous years?) and since they need time to dub anyway, they don't try to force the earlier releases and avoid the pitfalls like this situation.

I'm a hardcore English dub fan. I got into anime because of Laura Bailey so I'm all for English dubs. However, this move by Bandai is just awful all around. It's bad for sub fans for glaringly obvious reasons and since Bandai has CLEARLY decided to focus on them, this seems a very counterproductive move. It's also bad for English dub fans though as many of us prefer to have the option of the sub, if for no other reason than to be able to spot check it out of curiosity, not to mention the fact that dub-only releases are heavily associated with edited and censored anime.

I've never exactly been excited about this show and I've yet to see it but this mess just makes me think I should stay away. Frankly, I don't think Bandai's going to be in the R1 market in the future and a move like this suggests a deteriorating position if nothing else.

At this point I think it's valid to say that Bandai Entertainment USA is either running on fumes or is being run by idiots. It would have been wiser not to try for a Blu-Ray at all under these circumstances. They're basically releasing glorified singles with even fewer features than singles in the past and we're supposed to swoon? As if.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

Considering reverse importation fears, you basically get three options, all of which have real-world examples:

1. A delayed release, usually at least multiple years. See: All BD's from Funimation.
2. An expensive release, at the same levels of R2 prices. What Bandai Visual tried to do.

I guess that...

4. Japanese distribs dropping their prices so that they are more in line with other regions (thus removing the impetus for re-importation and potentially reinvigorating a stagnant domestic market)

...ain't on the table, eh?

*sigh*
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:17 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I think it's best to just pretend the BD release doesn't exist. The DVD release is normal and makes sense. I'll just live in a world in which Kurokami was only released on DVD in North America.

Blood- wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

I guess that...

4. Japanese distribs dropping their prices so that they are more in line with other regions (thus removing the impetus for re-importation and potentially reinvigorating a stagnant domestic market)

...ain't on the table, eh?

*sigh*

That's so far off the table it's in the closet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9