• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Tales of Petri Culture

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:07 am Reply with quote
I thought the appeal of Slam Dunk was in the random fist-fights. Laughing And you seem to forget that the characters are yanki at heart. As for Wicked City, yeah, it was a disappointment that it wasn't as cool as its anime name-sake, but I'm still holding out on the "Wind Named Amnesia" novel-whenever Dark Horse gets it out, of course. Rolling Eyes Though, considering the ages of the characters in both versions, I imagine the book was aiming for a different audience than the teen demo Kikuchi usually writes for: the salaryman. So the gratuitous sex was probably to be expected.
rabrek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
a guy trying to disguise himself as a tengu by wearing a "Hi! I'm A Tengu" nametag

Now ordering this manga. Even if it doesn't turn out to go anywhere, this is clearly something I need to read. (I'm glad there wasn't anyone else around when I barked out a laugh just now.)
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
Kitchen Princess suck? How horrible. I liked the manga so much.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Wait wasn't the Wicked City anime also a horrible piece of trash?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
brand: Only to people who don't know a good B-movie when they see one. Rolling Eyes
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:

Yeah, but it looks pretty. You're not going to get that from text.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:

Obviously, there's a question of taste here, but as I wrote in the review, I like the film. I think it's done very well in the design, animation and direction departments, and while it's hardly an intellectual piece, I found the script to be well-paced and it did a good job in keeping me interested. I like Kawajiri's work in general: I think he's still one of the best action directors working in anime today.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
I found the script to be well-paced and it did a good job in keeping me interested.

The rushed love story and plot holes didn't catch you up?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I love your review format. I find it fun to look for the sugar-coating terms in the "for" column when you really don't have anything good to say, and the twisting of positive traits into negative ones in the "against" column when you love the book and can't trash it at all, then guessing the grade.

Today was pretty hard since the manga skewed average, but with all the talk about how hard it is to write "average" reviews well, I have to give you kudos that they're still interesting to read.
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Raz_G wrote:
I like Kawajiri's work in general: I think he's still one of the best action directors working in anime today.

He's working?
I guess it's only been eight years since the last relevant thing he did -- six if you count the Animatrix. (Since every review of his Highlander movie seemed to be embarrassed for him, I'm willfully discounting that.)
I don't mean to dispute the man's legacy of violent trash, but he's a few decades past that now. Not only are there dozens of better action directors working in anime, there are quite a few directors better at violent trash. Although few as specialized.
For all I know, he's working on a big old comeback, but it definitely feels like he's eased back into an elder statesman role, and rarely actually gets down and does any work.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
Andrew: Highlander is great if you're a fan of the movies and shows. And frankly, most of the action I've seen in contemporary anime blows. It either tries to ape that Hollywood close-up camera crap, or it relies too much on Bay-style explosions. As for his current work, he's supposed to be involved with Ninja Scroll 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1