• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-11-11

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
errantrogue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
i love how its gross that figures get bust enhancements yet pushup and waterbras are all haute coutre.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:06 pm Reply with quote
As a figurefag, this amuses me. I usually have the opposite problem, though; figures call out to me because they're gorgeous, but I'm not very familiar with the series they're from! I have yet to watch Gurren Lagann (inb4 heretic, burn the witch, etc), but just ordered a figure of Yoko.

I'm disappointed in the girls for being all irritated at the fanservice, though. Well, distorting how a character looks to make them "sexier" for a figure is annoying, but otherwise, fanservice-y things aren't so bad, and I really wish female anime fans would get off their high horses about big boobs on female characters. I mean, sure there are cases of it being exaggerated to the point of it being realistically impossible, but busty women do exist naturally in the real world. And I guarantee Nina and Paola wouldn't be whining if it were a gorgeous, scantily clad male character. ^.~
RedTail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The gigantic wall of anime DVDs and manga is already hard enough to explain. Figures of suggestively posed anime heroines wearing next to nothing wouldn't do much to help matters...
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
B) It's still possible to look up its skirt most of the time.

One of the main selling point of the more expensive PVC models/statues is the level of detail in the sculpt. I'd actually be pretty pissed if I bought one with a skirt but no lovingly sculpted panties underneath.

Last edited by KoujiTamino on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

I'm glad that I don't collect figures.
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Actually, that first figure reminded me of the never released OVAs (I saw photos on the internet though ^/////////^ ) where Daisuke is subjected to all sorts of torture to reveal where he gets his brooms from, including a gender change, boob enlargement, and then being covered in soapsuds. Guess the soapsuds were caustic to the clothing?

Dood, that was just a doujin. It looked like the anime because it was in color. (I should know, I own— I mean, what…? >.>)
PrettyCranium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Just putting my word in as another straight female who does not mind seeing panties on my figures. My collection is growing rapidly, and yes, some have short skirts -- of course they should thus have underpants. What would there be instead?
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
PrettyCranium wrote:
Just putting my word in as another straight female who does not mind seeing panties on my figures. My collection is growing rapidly, and yes, some have short skirts -- of course they should thus have underpants. What would there be instead?

I agree ... would people rather they had no panties? Very Happy If anime figures had the cheap "fully molded skirt" look, they wouldn't be anywhere near as beautiful or accurate - they also wouldn't be worth the $$!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
While we're on the discussion of figures - tsuki-board profile, anyone? http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/Jenthehen
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Eh, why the hell not? http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/KoujiTamino

My collection is embarrassingly small, but I'm still glad to have the few I do own.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Quote:
I think all this fanservice ecchiness gives anime and anime fans a bad name.

No, fans pointing out other fans gives anime a bad name.

Man, I love this argument!

If you're an anime fan who is really creepy and unpleasant and kind of gross and bizarrely proud about it, you can chastize anyone who is also a fan but finds you creepy and weird, because they're "giving anime a bad name"!

That way you can be a total creepy pervert endlessly crowing about how "hot the lolis" are AND you get to be all self-righteous about it and pretend like you're some kind of victim when your fellow fans tell you you're gross! See how that works? Brilliant!
XYZeke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm willing to admit that I purchased a Witchblade PVC at this past Otakon and that it makes for an interesting conversation piece when one of my friends points and says,"The hell is that?!", "What's wrong with you?!" and, the occasional, "Nice dude!" But, in all seriousness, I feel no shame about it. I did when I first bought it (well, really my friend bought it for me and I bought him a Gundam model kit in exchange) because I felt that everybody would see me in a different light. However, not many seem to care after staring for a while.

Are Nina and Paula walking out of the store with one of those figures? Anime hyper
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Quote:
I think all this fanservice ecchiness gives anime and anime fans a bad name.

No, fans pointing out other fans gives anime a bad name.

Man, I love this argument!

If you're an anime fan who is really creepy and unpleasant and kind of gross and bizarrely proud about it, you can chastize anyone who is also a fan but finds you creepy and weird, because they're "giving anime a bad name"!

That way you can be a total creepy pervert endlessly crowing about how "hot the lolis" are AND you get to be all self-righteous about it and pretend like you're some kind of victim when your fellow fans tell you you're gross! See how that works? Brilliant!

I would say argue that enjoying "fanservice echiness" by no means makes someone a "total creepy pervert" - it's a far cry from talking about "hot lolis" and an even farther cry from actually being a real life creeper. Almost everyone has some prurient interest in SOMETHING.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

I would say argue that enjoying "fanservice echiness" by no means makes someone a "total creepy pervert" - it's a far cry from talking about "hot lolis" and an even farther cry from actually being a real life creeper. Almost everyone has some prurient interest in SOMETHING.

I didn't say enjoying "fanservice ecchiness" makes you a creepy pervert.

But the argument that if you're a fan you have to accept and defend whatever disgusting shit other fans are in to otherwise you're some evil hater who isn't a real fan is nonsense. It's a very transparent attempt to further embolden the people who are almost religiously self-righteous and outspoken about whatever their particular nasty fetish is.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

I didn't say enjoying "fanservice ecchiness" makes you a creepy pervert.

But the argument that if you're a fan you have to accept and defend whatever disgusting shit other fans are in to otherwise you're some evil hater who isn't a real fan is nonsense. It's a very transparent attempt to further embolden the people who are almost religiously self-righteous and outspoken about whatever their particular nasty fetish is.

Point taken. It's a difficult issue, though, since what constitutes a "nasty fetish" is entirely subjective. If people started spouting about how yaoi or yuri is nasty or disgusting, then they would be branded a homophobe, and many fans would flock to their support and call those people "haters," I think. I do agree that it would be stupid not to call them "real fans" - but the entire "real fans" issue is pretty ridiculous anyway Smile

Panties / big boobs on anime figures is hardly an obscure fetish, though. I do believe that at some level, in order to be a part of the "anime fan culture" (not necessarily an "anime fan"), that you need to accept some level of fetish / moe / etc. ... I mean, it's there. It's in your face. Screaming about how "nasty" it is isn't going to make it go away.

Disagreeing with someone else's preference is certainly allowed, but I think that those who are into particular kinks/fetishes just come in screaming because they've been offended by others initially mocking that fetish and saying "how nasty!" without considering the mixed audience of an anime fan forum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6