• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - The Last Record Chronicles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The FF XIII announcement came in. It's coming out on both the PS3 and the 360 on March 9, 2010! Can't wait to see what the Collector's Edition will have Mr. Green (assuming there is one...).

It'll also have a new theme song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0_mNC5FQ8

Can't say that I'm a fan of this move so far, but we'll see how it fits into the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
bleuster wrote:
Quote:
In North America, however, it'll be a PLAYSTATION Network download.
Yep, that's the official word, but, a rep. from their site's board stated that there is going to be an announcement concerning Agarest coming very soon (it was supposed to be released this month, but pushed back to next year). It sounds promising and there are a few rumors going around what it could be, but we'll see.

Man, I REALLY don't want to double dip, but I might depending on what Aksys has to offer.

Imported and been playing Agarest for a week now, and I like it. It's pretty slow in the beginning though. The sprites look better then average IMO, or at least better then the typical Gust game.
Well, the news is out...

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/13/aksys-explains-why-record-of-agarest-war-was-delayed/

They're still releasing it for the PS3 as a download, but they are also adding the extra content the Japanese version had on the Xbox 360 had, as well as a Xbox 360 release for the U.S.
Guess it depends if that is enough for you to wait a few months (new dungeon, items, voice acting, etc). I might consider getting the PS3 only because I plan on importing a Japanese Xbox 360, but good news if you decided to not import, yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
The FF XIII announcement came in. It's coming out on both the PS3 and the 360 on March 9, 2010! Can't wait to see what the Collector's Edition will have Mr. Green (assuming there is one...).

Hopefully one of them will come with the FFXIV item code that the Japanese version is getting.

This also makes a Fall 2010 release for FFXIV all the more likely. My bet is on September 14.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The Wii caters to a largely different audience than the other systems while occasionally coming out with stuff for the more old-fashioned gamers, essentially serving two masters. Not that that's a bad thing, as it seems the Wii has become a massive success.

Better get used to it, because I get the feeling if the Wii's successor will be as big or better a seller than the Wii, Microsoft and Sony will be catering primarily to what you people call "casual gamers" too. Yes, I do predict that by the 9th generation of video games, all three companies will be making Wii-like systems. Natal, and much earlier, the SplitFish are proof that the other two companies have noticed early on that Nintendo struck gold, and they want their share too. I'd love to see the faces on these "hardcore gamers" should those companies make that sort of announcement at E3 2014...

I really don't mind, and I kind of enjoy it too. I don't like how we have such a rigid definition of what a video game ought to be and we just flat-out ignore or loathe stuff like Wii Music, which were meant to not actually be games, but toys. I would say that I fall under the definition of a casual gamer myself, though I don't like to use that term very much because of its derogatory connotations.
sfried

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I don't like how we have such a rigid definition of what a video game ought to be and we just flat-out ignore or loathe stuff like Wii Music, which were meant to not actually be games, but toys. I would say that I fall under the definition of a casual gamer myself, though I don't like to use that term very much because of its derogatory connotations.
To be honest, there's really no such thing as a "casual" gamer. In fact, a lot of genres are being pigeonholed into the umbrella term so much that point-and-click adventure titles are considered "casual" from a layman's perspective. I really hate a lot of these made-up genres that they just seem to past on every title nowdays...

Uthred wrote:
sfried wrote:
Primus wrote:
Forget the PS3, 360, PC, Wii, and DS. 2010 is the PSP's year software-wise.
Err, sorry. I believe DS still takes that spot. Playing Phantasy Star Zero right now...

Its nice that you're playing PS0 in 2010, how's life in the future?
Oh crap, I meant to say Strange Journey...I was thinking of something else.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
You're absolutely right--"casual" and "hardcore" ARE simply arbitrary. Now that you mention it, games like the WarioWare series and the Professor Layton series can be both...or neither.

There was this article I read that mentioned that, during announcements and speeches, Nintendo never uses the phrase "casual gamer." Rather, Nintendo prefers to talk about disruption, to punch big holes in how people view video gaming as opposed to the previous couple of generations and to provoke the people entrenched in what video games should be like and who should play them. Here, I dug it up: "Birdmen and the Casual Fallacy"

So far, it looks like it's succeeding...or not, considering that Nintendo's efforts have completely dropped off the top 10 most popular lists on sites like GameFAQs and Metacritic except when a major Wii or DS release comes out, like with Scribblenauts or New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Heck, even the Pokémon games have dropped off, which remained on the lists for years.

I get the feeling that we're seeing a kind of reactionary response--due to the Wii's sheer success, the audiences for the normal traditional sort of video gaming has retreated into the dark and gritty, which would explain (at least in part) the crazy success of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. This very thing happened with American comic books when girls' comics like Betty & Veronica got popular--the boys who were reading comics to begin with also had to retreat and so we got these hypermuscular macho men dominating traditional American comics to feel like things never changed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3