• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo, Astro Boy Submitted for Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
hm :/ I've got some mixed feelings about what I should be rooting for. (if all the movies I want to be nominated even get in)

I want to root for Ponyo since its "omigosh! Anime in the oscars!" plus I thought it was a beautifully animated movie and was adorable

I also want Princess in the Frog to win so maybe Disney will want to make more "fairy tale+musical+drawn animation" type movies they make that I love so much. (but then again, I haven't seen it yet)

and Up, just because it will probably win anyway (however. I only really like half of "Up" :/ all the things involving Carl and his life and his history with the house, I love. and his chemistry with him and Russell. but all the talking dog antics got on my nerves)

so I guess it all depends on how much I like Princess in the Frog to see who I want to win
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm still disappointed Eva didn't get a nomination. Granted I haven't seen the movie but it would be nice to see a different anime aside from a Miyazaki film get nominated for a change. I love Miyazaki's work, I loved Ponyo but let's get some variety AMPAS! I think they should change their rules.

I wonder if any anime could ever qualify for a Foreign Language film? Yeah most have dubs but they also retain the Japanese audio. Hmm kind of a weird paradox. I need to read about qualifications for that category.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
I'm still disappointed Eva didn't get a nomination.

Nothing's been nominated yet, this is just a list of films that were submitted for the category. However, the Evangelion movie wasn't eligible for this year because the Japanese release date was before January 1st, 2008, beyond the one calendar year extension the Academy grants foreign animated films to be play for a week in Los Angeles by the end of the following year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
okitasan wrote:
The best animated film category is such bs.

Oscars in general are bs. Whenever I see "Academy Award Winning" or some other crap, I laugh. That does not guarantee that it was any good. Just that it was good for that year. UP is going to look like crap 4 years from now.
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
okitasan wrote:

Oscars in general are bs. Whenever I see "Academy Award Winning" or some other crap, I laugh. That does not guarantee that it was any good. Just that it was good for that year. UP is going to look like crap 4 years from now.

True.

When you consider that films like The Sound of Music, The English Patient, Gladiator, and Crash have all won Best Picture, it kind of puts the award in perspective. Hell, The Ten Commandments ('56) got nominated for Best Picture. They show it every Passover on TV and it just gets worse and worse every time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
okitasan wrote:

It will be remembered the same as Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Wall-E, et al. Take from that as you will.

IMO they should just separate the category between the Animated Feature Oscar and the PIXAR Oscar. Seriously, it's getting ridiculous at this point the iron grip they hold over that award.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
okitasan wrote:

It will be remembered the same as Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Wall-E, et al. Take from that as you will.

Let's not forget what gets nominated in general is not always a good movie. Who remembers Bolt? Surf's Up? I'm not saying it makes them bad movies, it's just what's good at the moment.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
okitasan wrote:

Let's not forget what gets nominated in general is not always a good movie. Who remembers Bolt? Surf's Up? I'm not saying it makes them bad movies, it's just what's good at the moment.

A Shark Tale received a nomination back in the day, which is almost universally considered an awful movie. An Oscar may be a nice award, but it really doesn't mean as much as one might think. Ideally you'd be giving out awards for the best movie of 5 years ago, to give it time to see how "innovative" and "groundbreaking" something really is.

As much as I love that there is an animation category now, it 1) continues to ghetto animation and 2) brings to light every year the sad fact that animated movies in America seem to consist of Pixar and Pixar wannabes. I know, Disney's got a new 2D animated film, but it's yet another "princess" movie, so they're playing it safe as well. Secret of Kells looks really different, which is why I'm excited to see it if I can.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
+1 for The Secret of Kells; I just watched that and A Town Called Panique at the local Film Festival on the weekend. Although, for those who have seen it, can you confirm the title is The Secret of Kells, and not Brendan and the Secret of Kells?

A Town Called Panic is a riotous five minute TV series of small plastic figures who live in a rural area, and the movie is- well, a much MUCH longer version of the TV series.

Youtube clip from The Secret of Kells: Aisling's Song (this is uploaded by the studio, so it's legal.)
Youtube clips of the TV A Town Called Panic.

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ghiblichick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Although I would love to see Ponyo win, I have to agree with the majority and say UP is going to win. The other nominees will probably be the Princess and Frog, Coraline, Ponyo and The Secret of Kells (at least, if the Academy has a shred of intelligence left in them...)
Vapors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
okitasan wrote:

That's the whole point of the Academy Awards. They are not charged with figuring out what will be good in 5, 10 or 50 years from now. They are asked to vote what they think is the "best" at that given time during a given year. I never know why people think the Academy should be responsible with such a task, its hard to gauge what is "good" or "bad" a generation from now, never mind figuring out what people will like in a year from now.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
I predict these 5:

Coraline
Up
Ponyo
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Monsters vs. Aliens

... and though the Academy loves Pixar, the one that IMHO should win for technical merits is either Fox, Coraline or Ponyo. To me those are far more impressive than a CG film. I've yet to see most of them but hopefully the one with the best storytelling wins.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Well I knew that Up would get nominated and it is highly likely to win as well.

Sad thing is that I hated Up and gave it a good old beating review and gave it 4/10. But meh. Basically the Oscars and the Academy awards are there to be seen, not really to award the best. Several times, films have slipped under the radar because they didn't come out in America or something like that ...

But for animation ... I really think Secret of Kells should get it. I mean for just the animation, it isn't what you normally see. And it is refreshing to get a movie about mythology in the Irish areas.

My two cents.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
With as many of the films they cart out onto the film festival circuit, I'm surprised that studios of the likes of Madhouse (Summer Wars), Studio 4C (First Squad), or Production I.G (Musashi) didn't submit any of their works for consideration, if they or their distributors hadn't already. It would seem to be something of a prestige to be only the third Japanese-animated film to win an Academy Award if it happened, but I guess they weren't able to secure a Los Angeles viewing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
I predict these 5:

Coraline
Up
Ponyo
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Monsters vs. Aliens

... and though the Academy loves Pixar, the one that IMHO should win for technical merits is either Fox, Coraline or Ponyo. To me those are far more impressive than a CG film.
...Why?

Do you have ANY idea what goes into making a CG film? Do people think the computers are just a magic button and you just set a few options and out pops professional animation or something? I mean, yes, there are some lazy CG companies out there that dig the bottom of the barrel, but that's true of all other types of animation as well.

If I had to guess, I would say Up probably had the most man hours, creative thinking, problem solving, and WORK put into it of any of the films you listed (Coraline would probably be second, considering its massive set construction and innovative use of stereoscopic photography). It took over 5 years to make Up. By comparison it took a little over 2 to do Fantastic Mr. Fox, less than 3 to do Ponyo, and about 3 to do Coraline. The difference here is that Ponyo is like painting a beautiful picture with a paint brush on a canvas. Up is like inventing an entirely new method of painting with new tools and a new style of canvas and then also using those things to paint a beautiful picture. And Pixar does that with EVERY film. That's even more the reason they're so massively respected in the industry (and why some of the proprietary tools they license out have come to be considered industry standards) than just their ability to tell a story.

Really, on "technical merits," there isn't even a contest here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4