• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo, Astro Boy Submitted for Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
I predict these 5:

Coraline
Up
Ponyo
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Monsters vs. Aliens

... and though the Academy loves Pixar, the one that IMHO should win for technical merits is either Fox, Coraline or Ponyo. To me those are far more impressive than a CG film.
...Why?

Do you have ANY idea what goes into making a CG film? Do people think the computers are just a magic button and you just set a few options and out pops professional animation or something? I mean, yes, there are some lazy CG companies out there that dig the bottom of the barrel, but that's true of all other types of animation as well.

If I had to guess, I would say Up probably had the most man hours, creative thinking, problem solving, and WORK put into it of any of the films you listed (Coraline would probably be second, considering its massive set construction and innovative use of stereoscopic photography). It took over 5 years to make Up. By comparison it took a little over 2 to do Fantastic Mr. Fox, less than 3 to do Ponyo, and about 3 to do Coraline. The difference here is that Ponyo is like painting a beautiful picture with a paint brush on a canvas. Up is like inventing an entirely new method of painting with new tools and a new style of canvas and then also using those things to paint a beautiful picture. And Pixar does that with EVERY film. That's even more the reason they're so massively respected in the industry (and why some of the proprietary tools they license out have come to be considered industry standards) than just their ability to tell a story.

Really, on "technical merits," there isn't even a contest here.

While yes, you are more likely correct that he has no idea of this but would you care enlighten us? I mean you clearly state that you believe that Up had better animation. While your facts may or may not be correct (as I'm too lazy to check the years), you must back up your ideas. What program did they use? How many people did the story had to go through to into production? How many people were on board? How long where the hours? When did production ACTUALLY start?

The fact remains that we don't know this (unless any Pixar people or whatever want to announce themselves) so we really can't be determine this. I do know that the Japanese people tend to sleep in their offices and don't go home so they can work more and get paid more money (Thank you really random extra on 'Brave Story'). Whatever the case may be, animation is only a half of the story and, if the judging were to be correct, they would try to assess that, the story, music and acting (voice acting to be correct).
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah, just padding the ballot so they don't just hand UP the award. Though Fantastic Mr. Fox could be a contender from what I understand.

Kells looks pretty, but the plot seems pretty derivitive. I'll be in Ireland when it comes out, so maybe I'll check it out. Very Happy
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
Although, for those who have seen it, can you confirm the title is The Secret of Kells, and not Brendan and the Secret of Kells?

The working title was "Brendan and the Secret of Kells." But it was released simply under the title "The Secret of Kells."
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope they nominate "Planet 51" (made in Spain), though I'd like Ponyo to win. Because when some people were thinking "hey, let's do the same history, but in 3D" (Monsters, Cloudy...) , Miyazaki went back to hand-drawing.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, regardless of which you think is the truly deserving winner, I think we can all agree that, unlike last year (I liked "Kung-fu Panda" to a certain degree, but they were really scraping the bottom of barrel in 2008), Pixar at least has some competition going this time around. Most of these may not have a chance in hell (Squeaquel?!?), but there are several that are solid contenders who truly deserve a nomination .
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Seems to me a lot of the time most of Pixar hate and loathing of American animated movies is knee jerk reactions by people who simply think anime should win because it's anime and obviously superior. Don't get me wrong I love anime, obviously, but in recent years what honestly high quality movies have come out worth an Oscar if people were honest? There are several reasons why Pixar ins so often but one is they simply make very good animated movies. They put tons of man hours and work into their movies and I'm sorry but while you can debate which style of animation is superior Pixar has some of the most fluid animation period. Now I do think UP is weaker compared to more recent movies they've done such as Ratatouille or Wall-E. Plus Ponyo is higher quality I think then majority of most anime movies worthy of a nomination in recent years. So with those factors combined I think Ponyo stands a decent chance this year.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Psycho: Well, I'm sure many of the naysaysers agree with me that there are a lot of high-quality anime movies which deserve the win more than Pixar and American movies. [Tokikake, Millennium Actress, Metropolis, etc.] And if Pixar's movies were in 2-d, I'd imagine no one would be hyping them as much as they normally do. Hell, how many people were willing to support Iron Giant when that came out in theaters?
Ranmah

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I am glad there will be some contenders for the Oscar.

My pics for the second round:
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Monsters vs. Aliens
Planet 51
Ponyo
Up

I saw Astro Boy and unfortunately I wasn't that impressed by the story.

It is still early to tell who will go onto the next round.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
I am glad there will be some contenders for the Oscar.

My pics for the second round:
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Monsters vs. Aliens
Planet 51
Ponyo
Up

I saw Astro Boy and unfortunately I wasn't that impressed by the story.

It is still early to tell who will go onto the next round.

There is no "second round." There are over 16 eligible movies, so of these 20 they will pick 5 to nominate, one of which will win. My guess - bearing in mind that 70-80% of the Oscars is pimping your movie - is that those will include:
>Up (deservedly)
>Ponyo (deservedly)
>The Princess and the Frog (because it's Disney and they have $$)
>Fantastic Mister Fox (reviews so far have been extraordinary)

The fifth slot is still an bit of a wild card; of the remainder, all I've seen is "Coraline," which, while very good, I don't think holds a candle to "Up," the main challenger.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
Loved UP. I thought Ponyo was weak by comparison to Spirited Away but then again, there is something eerie about Ponyo that I liked.

UP is the only animation on the list that I have seen that made me feel something and had an effect on me. There is nothing more timely than a tale about what we do with our time (my bloated opinion).

Of course I love Wes Anderson and I can't wait to see Fantastic.

It's been a while since an animation made me FEEL something and for me that's what's important. Anime has a bad habit of being sterile in the emotion department.

And someone mentioned Iron Giant. I loved Iron Giant! That didn't win anything? Darn...
David.Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:40 am Reply with quote
This is my "whish list" for the nominations

Mary and Max
Ponyo
Fantastic Mr Fox
Coraline
The Secret of Kells

Of the ones listed, I only haven't seen Fantastic Mr Fox. But seeing that is stop-motion and from Wes Anderson, I don't see how I can go wrong. But I am well aware that Up or Monsters vs. Aliens or Princess Frog, will most likely push out Secret of Kells and Marry and Max and maybe Ponyo from the nominations. As it stands now, I want Mary and Max to win. I just saw it and it really is one of the best films I've seen this year. While mostly a "comedy" this film knows how to throw an emotional punch. Two scenes in particular were just outstanding... Its hard to describe. Anyway, the premise is simple: a friendless chubby girl from Australia becomes penpals with an obese atheist Jewish man from New York who is also friendless. Really is good stuff. Check out the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbBHsWC5Hp8

Up will most likely win, seeing how Pixar creates mostly animation gold (except Cars, which is pyrite). I did see Up, and it is pretty good... or at least the first 1/3. I thought the idea of talking dogs was ok until they decided that the main "bad" dog had to have a chipmunks voice... funny for 2 seconds, then the rest just annoyed the hell outa me. Granted this is supposed to be a kids flick first and foremost, but come on, you start out a movie with one of the best emotional openings in Disney history only to follow it up with flying dogs that talk? Yes the story of Carl and the house was great, Russell was funny most of the time, but that was the only redeeming thing for me. Then again I didn't like The Incredibles very much so maybe its just me Laughing

Anyway, what I don't understand is how Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 could even be considered. Is it because a few of the characters are fully rendered cgi? If so, then couldn't Terminator, Transformers, Night at the Museum, Land of the Lost, Aliens in the Attic, District 9 etc be considered? What makes the Chipmunk movie "an animated feature" but not District 9?

Last edited by David.Seth on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:59 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raz_G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:42 am Reply with quote
I ageree with everyone who voiced their support for "The Secret of Kells". It's a wonderful film, and if the Best Animated Feature category was like most other categories in the Oscars, it would have been a front-runner - however, the real name for the animated feature category should be "Best Blockbuster Animated Feature of the Year"...

To bo honest, I don't think the EVA film really stood any chance of getting nominated even if it could be submitted - and most of the other anime films submitted over the years didn't impress me much either (I'm a huge Satoshi Kon fan, but "Paprika" was a big disappointment for me. If anything, not even nominating "Millennium Actress" was plain criminal).

I agree that "Up" is the most likely winner, but I actually think that the strongest competition would be "The Princess and the Frog" - it's Disney's return to classic 2D, so it will play strong on the nostalgia cords of Academy members, and from what I heard - it's getting an overall very, very, positive buzz.
stararnold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen much of the films listed in the article, but I look forward for when voting pollls are open so I can offer my say. As usual, I intend vote based on story quality and not based on whatever country that produced the work, because judging an animated work only by its country only means animation prejudice.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Here's my list.

Up
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Coraline
Disney's A Christmas Carol
Secret of Kells
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:18 am Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:

Anyway, what I don't understand is how Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 could even be considered. Is it because a few of the characters are fully rendered cgi?

It hasn't been considered, just submitted for consideration. It'll almost certainly be disqualified, unless Fox intentionally put in enough scenes this time for it to be considered "animated", which they might well have done if they were attempting to ensure enough animated films would be submitted to ensure five nomination slots so that there would be a greater chance that both Ice Age 3 and The Fantastic Mr. Fox would get nominated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4