• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo, Astro Boy Submitted for Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

It hasn't been considered, just submitted for consideration. It'll almost certainly be disqualified, unless Fox intentionally put in enough scenes this time for it to be considered "animated", which they might well have done if they were attempting to ensure enough animated films would be submitted to ensure five nomination slots so that there would be a greater chance that both Ice Age 3 and The Fantastic Mr. Fox would get nominated.

Well that makes sense. I do realize that these films are only being submitted, and that maybe Chipmunks 2 wont even qualify... But doesnt fox know the "requirements" to submit a film for consideration in the animation category? They must know if Chipmunks meets the qualification or not, I mean, why else would they submit the film if they knew it couldn't be accepted?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Psycho: Well, I'm sure many of the naysaysers agree with me that there are a lot of high-quality anime movies which deserve the win more than Pixar and American movies. [Tokikake, Millennium Actress, Metropolis, etc.] And if Pixar's movies were in 2-d, I'd imagine no one would be hyping them as much as they normally do. Hell, how many people were willing to support Iron Giant when that came out in theaters?

We can talk about the what ifs all we like but it doesn't change the present. If their films were 2-d then maybe they wouldn't win. Who knows. But the simple fact is they are winning awards. And I would agree other titles have deserved to win as it should be half based on the story and power behind it. But the other half is the actual animation as it is the best animated movie and the animation is literally why it's an animated movie. I would still hype lots of Pixars movies regardless if it's 2-d simply because many do have that second part, damn good stories. Not all of course but many. Anime like Paprika or Ponyo also have equally good stories don't get me wrong. But as I said before Pixar makes some damn fine fluid animation and in a category that is for animated movies (as in animation) that gives them a big plus in their category over other movies right off the bat.

Plus another factor is this is America and not Japan. Is it really surprising that American animation gets looked at first in an American award show? I mean the Oscars are voted on by the "American Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science." Do you think say if the Oscars were based in Japan that anime would not get top billing and consideration over Pixar films? I'm not saying it's fair or puts the movies on equal footing I'm just pointing out this fact. Add the fact that Pixar does have good stories by in large and fluid animation and any other title is behind the 8-ball. They have to really step up and deliver to top that like Spirited Away did. And honestly since Spirited Away the only anime movie nominated that I felt was deserving of a win was Paprika, and now Ponyo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4