• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Tara & Yuri's Infinite Conversation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote
Zac, you should try to procure Patlabor 2 on BluRay. Too bad it's highly unlikely that the Patlabor BD's will ever come over here, Bubblegum Crises' either. My favorite scene is of course the military takeover scene.

That said, Five Star Stories' BluRay comes out soon too, I plan on getting it.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
It was really nice to get to hear from Yuri and Tara this week. I've met Yuri a few times and Tara once (both at the same con that time) and I've enjoyed meeting both. Yuri really is one of those VA's who truly loves his work and is honestly a fan which I think shows in his work. Tara too. Plus i find it cute that husband and wife do the same job and have even had roles in the same show. Just cute to me. Embarassed

I must say I am surprised Zac had not seen Patlabor 2 before. I've found very few movies/OVA's/series that can compare with that one single piece there. Of course because it is older most of my friends won't watch it because they're all into the new flashy shows and not something a few decades old. Their loss. On a random note (I don't know if anyone has said this before) but it's been bugging me lately with these ANNCast episodes who Zac sounds like. I couldn't place it for some reason until tonight. Zac on the ANNCast you sound like Conan O'Brien to a fair degree. It's the voice tone and pitch and some of the specific words, like "ummm" "So" and "Yea" where to me you sound like Conan. Maybe I'm just losing my mind. It caught me off guard a bit because I have met you and to me you sound a bit different on these ANNCast episodes then what you did when I met you. Maybe my speakers are failing or I am indeed losing my mind.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quote
As long as Cynthia Martinez isn't in the VA commentary, I like them. I never really knew I was in the minority there. In fact, I just bought the first Adventures in Voice Acting because I just like hearing from the people behind the voice. I guess it comes from me liking dubs (pretty much exclusively) so much.

I also wish they'd release more outtakes and inside the booth segments like Princess Tutu had. I, and I'm sure more dub fans feel the same way, just love seeing that stuff. Those kinds of things almost guarantee I'll buy a show with VA extras over another that doesn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:06 am Reply with quote
Another great show. You guys seem much more comfortable now in this venue. Yuri and Tara are awesome guests, so forthcoming and erudite regarding their professions, and willing to help. I do have a voice for acting, and have used it up to civic theater, but am in complete awe of anyone who has the persistence--and importantly, the life skills--to make a real living at it. Want to see their movie.

Japanese loving tragedy - This really aggravated me when I first started watching anime. Every show besides truly slapstick comedy had to have its near, if not actual, tragedy for a climax, regardless of previous tone. You could count on episode last-minus-3 to be foreboding, last-minus-2 to turn deep dark, someone to cry in last-minus-2, and choose your A/B ending--they die/they don't (whereupon the sidekick dies). I truly despise that pandering formula, but it's obviously what the Japanese want. Though anyway, being old, drama has to be near-masterpiece level to interest me. Been there, seen that, lived it. Funny is more fun. But I will watch Patlabor 2, now, based on this segment.

Voice commentaries - Even English anime directors don't often talk much about the show, though occasionally about the process, which is still interesting. ADV's commentaries were invariably just butt-rubbing marketing segments for voice actors and quite obvious shilling for other ADV shows. The Japanese commentaries are great when talkative creators are involved. The Code Geass commentaries, which I am just now hearing for the first time, are really quite good, featuring the Japanese director and writer in most instances. Even the actors are doing a far better job than usual, providing insights into the story and process as well as good comedy. The other extras I enjoy sometimes are the video segments with Japanese actors (a la Fruits Basket, with Yui Horie interviewing other actors), partly because it brings home how truly different the culture and viewpoint is. Of course, speaking of Fullmetal Alchemist: Conqueror of Shambala, my all-time favorite segment is the "yuri" cross-interview between Romi Paku and Rie Kugimiya. That's a disc I will pop in just for the extras.

U.S. movie commentaries range just as widely in quality, though. Ridley Scott is the master commentator, while Rob Reiner will make you want to commit suicide in the actual 5-minute gaps before his depressed, non-informative next sentence. The actor commentaries are generally fine, since they obviously have much more familiarity with the material, even adaptation sources (similar to the Japanese with manga) and are sometimes insightful. Certainly not always. But overall, commentaries and video extras definitely add value to any DVD, and sometimes the bulk of it.

Stu Levy - Van Von Hunter movie - Can't wait to see this from the description. Who cares if he's nuts (that's usually a plus for me... David Lynch, well, you know, before he thought transcribing his incoherent dreams was entertainment for anyone but himself). This movie could be terrible, or it could be great. If anything, it sounds creative and different, which is so rare these days.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that I went ahead and bought the FMA movie again for its blu-ray release. I can't think of too many other things where I'd be willing to do that when I already own the DVD.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
My favorite MST episode is "Space Mutiny". We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese!

I disagree with a lot of your opinions in general, but you have never been more correct. "Christmas comes to Santa this year!"

And I highly recommend Waltz with Bashir.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
So much to comment on this week! First of all, you should have a fun couple as guests every week! Tara and Yuri are awesome! Yuri, if you're reading this, I want you to know that your acting is just about the only thing I like about Sasuke! Razz I just wished someone had asked him if his fluency in Japanese helped him get jobs. I've seen fans comment that there should be a mandatory Yuri course in pronouncing Japanese properly in dubs to reduce the incidence of "Japanese-glish." As to Engrish, I wonder where The Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad voice casters got the English VA for the original Japanese dub. They were really good.

FMA: I loved the portal reveal! I was un-spoiled for it and totally blown away. The movie was vaguely unsatisfying, though. (probably due to breaking my Ed/Winry shipping heart). I'm glad that they edited Sho Aiwakawa's script, and was relieved that Ed didn't turn into an antisemite (yes, I was worried-his comment about Einstien threw me for a moment...) Although I'm kind of curious as to what they took out.

I remember making fun of my friends in high school for going ga-ga over the novel and movie "Walk to Remember" Spoiler Alert: the girl dies. You know she dies! The whole point of the story is that she dies. Save your tears for real tragedies (or at least well-told ones). I'm really glad that that "genre" of entertainment is not as popular here as it is in Japan.

I want to see Patlabor 2 now. But it is far from the only anime that deals with politics without, um, "pissing itself in the school auditorium." Flag does that, with a journalism bent to boot. Great underappreciated.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
My favorite MST episode is "Space Mutiny". We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese!

I disagree with a lot of your opinions in general, but you have never been more correct.

My favorite part is when the woman who was killed in one scene is seen back at work in the next one.

Also, the low-speed chases in the cart things.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

My favorite part is when the woman who was killed in the previous scene is seen back at work in the next one.

"Okay, look alive every-! Oh, sorry, Susan...."
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Another good listen, A little bit longer than usual but understandable since you had two guests who talk for a living. Yuri's pretty good at filling time isn't he. Wink

Yes, Werewolf is hilarious and definitely in my top five along with Space Mutiny(as mentioned) Soul taker and a tie for the top spot between Giant Spider Invasion and Zombie Nightmare. And if we are quoting Space Mutiny how could anyone forget "She's got an armadillo down her trousers." Laughing
yurijuri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I really liked that there were two guests this week so it just didn't focus on one person. Though voice acting has never really interested me, and I don't usually read/listen to anything on the topic, Tara and Yuri didn't have me skipping the interview.

Patlabor: Patlabor 1 is always going to be my favorite movie of the series, since it stayed closer to the atmosphere of the TV series and it had a plot I liked and could follow. The second movie was more of a challenge for me to like. Making Goto and Nagumo the main characters was a nice change and the art was nice, but I found the movie boring. The first one also had this problem in spots, but I could look past it. For Patlabor 2, I had a very hard time getting through my first viewing. On the second viewing, it got a little better for me, but it was still felt like a chore to get through.

I have yet to see the third movie.

I agree that Manos and Werewolf are up there on best MST3K episodes, but my favorite is always going to be Prince of Space. It was the first one I ever saw, and it has some very funny parts.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:43 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Another great show. You guys seem much more comfortable now in this venue. Yuri and Tara are awesome guests, so forthcoming and erudite regarding their professions, and willing to help. I do have a voice for acting, and have used it up to civic theater, but am in complete awe of anyone who has the persistence--and importantly, the life skills--to make a real living at it. Want to see their movie.

I agree on how much it improved. When I first heard the podcast I thought about not listening to anymore due to how bad it was do to none of them knowing anything on Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, but thankfully they have stuck to topics that they know about, and are not trying to push the hotbutton anime for views.

Also they have gotten really interesting guests that are pretty interesting to listen too.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I shall second yurijuri's preference for the first Patlabor film. Each point in the exposition of the antagonist's plot gave me further appreciation for his cunning. He simply forced the police investigation to do his own work for him, and in effect, they were an integral part to the very plot they were trying to solve. Eventually, the various elements mystery converged flawlessly into a single operation, demonstrating the strengths of the script writers. spoiler[Though the police were successful, the antagonist still 'won' as much as he could have hoped for.]
The best part is, everything was perfectly clear to the viewer at all times. Patlabor 2, whilst a splendid film in its own right, lacked this charm in the unravelling of its own scheme. It spent more time focussing on how a city and her authorities reacts to a masterminded threat. On my first viewing of the sequel, I was left with a modest amount of lingering confusion as to the precise motives and intricacies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:31 am Reply with quote
I'd have to say that Bakemonogatari is definitely one of the better recent series. However, it seems to me that if it does well here, it would most likely be in the niche market. Shaft is thoroughly Shaft in it, and I've got to think that a lot of people would find it just plain weird. It's definitely not shounen, and it really doesn't have much action for the most part. It just doesn't strike me as the kind of series that would be a big hit in the US. I hope that it gets licensed, but I definitely wouldn't have expected it to make sense to do a simulcast dub for it. Certainly, with how things have been going, I'd expect that if Bandai were to pick it up it would be sub-only.

As for dub simulcasts in general, I don't see much benefit. If you really want to watch the show right away, there's always fansubs, and in some cases legal streaming. Dubbing the show for TV rather than DVD/BD can cost more because sometimes things get changed for the DVDs/BDs and some things would have to be redubbed. Also, there would be far more pressure to rush the dubbing process and get an inferior dub. In fact, I'm not even sure that the actors would get the full video to dub to since it's all so last minute (I heard that that was the case with Kurokami). Rushing the release in that manner would do nothing to improve quality and stands a good chance of harming it.

In addition, it's the risk is that much greater for any potential licensor. If they wait until a show has been released in Japan, they have a better chance to evaluate its quality and how well it was received - both by the Japanese and by those outside Japan who watch it via fansubs and the like.

I see little to no benefit in dub simulcasts. A little patience will result in a better product for us and less risk for anime companies (many of which are already seriously hurting in this economy).
Kenotic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to "The Secret of Kells" as well after watched an HD trailer on YouTube. I had someone tell me that the animation reminded them of Samurai Jack. However, if someone wanted to go out and rent something now, I'd recommend the French "Triplets of Belleville" - it's bizarre but quite conventional in the way it tells the story.

As for MST episodes (since it's getting comments here, and I've been watching since it was briefly in syndication in the mid 90s) Santa Claus Conquers the Martians might be my favorite, with Mr. B Natural being my favorite short. Having a pixie woman telling awkward kids that playing in the middle school band is cool is funny enough, but having her play a man while dancing in tights is the type of thing that made the show what it was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3