• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dungeon Hacking

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Hentai_JP wrote:
As soon as I realized you haven't even seen first season of Clannad my anger that you put AS in "rental shelf" vanished completely and I stopped reading right there. Without seeing original there is no point in watching sequel.

I disagree ... the first season was incredibly weak in plot, IMO. The second half of After Story is really the only part that is worthwhile for me. And then the ending re-set ruins any emotional depth that had been there at all :/

I just do NOT understand everyone's obsession with Clannad. It is the weakest of the 3 key visual novels to anime series (Clannad, Air, Kanon). It feels the most harem-y (it even has the "no eat MY food, Tomoya!" scene in the first season!) The arcs are too choppy (too much like a visual novel game would be, and not so much like a fluent anime / show). Also, Clannad tries way too hard to be sad ... it's like they thought "Wow, that sad shit was really awesome in Air and Kanon ... let's do that ... only this time, we won't make the effort to have the audience care about the characters first!" Arrghh!!!

Air and Kanon are not perfect, but I much prefer them to Clannad. If only Air had been given 24 episodes, it could have been amazing.

Kanon is my favorite. The arcs and characters interact and intertwine in a way that brings the entire story together as a whole, rather than it feeling like arcs in a dating sim. The major theme in Kanon also connects throughout all the characters. Yes, Clannad has the theme of "family" ... but ... it's just poorly executed.

...I'm sorry but did you just see if Air COULD have been amazing with 24 episodes?

I just want to know if you're saying that 12 kept it from being flawless. I mean seriously, Air did NOT have much more beyond it's 12 episodes to tell... Everything was wrapped up perfectly. There were no loose ends and the ONE arc that lacked in extra content, the summer arc, eventually got 2 more episodes after the main series finished.

As for the commentary on the actual review, I'm sorry but I much liken the reviews that were made back on the 2008 fall preview. This show really should not be bothered watching if you haven't seen season 1. I'm sure someone will come in here and counter comment towards me but this cannot be said enough...

I'm just... tired of that comment. I do have to say, aside from the comments about Mei (Which really, thank you japan, because you've sexualized most of your other series and Clannad will probably be one of the last few somewhat innocent shows out there...) and Nagisa's mother (I mean correct me if I am wrong but they're only in they're only in their mid to late thirties, right? But it's anime and Sanae is kinda just a comic relief character... So of course she gets looped into the sunohara ordeal...), your review for someone who is not familiar with the visual novel was a lot more fair and forgiving than most I've seen...

So, thanks Erin. I'd rather give credit to you for making an attempt at getting it better than most would than slam you for the minor comments.

Oh and to add, Mei is a fairly insignificant and unapproachable character in the actual novel. And there is no adult content to speak of whatsoever... Hell, IIRC, we never actually see the main pair kiss at all. That just goes to show, if a romance series can be good without actually showing the leads kiss... It's something else.

BUT I BEG YOU, PLEASE watch the first season before viewing the second half or you will have next to no knowledge that will be useful for the second half of After Story.

In addition, the review of Claymore makes me interested in it more... Maybe I'll finally add it to my netflix queue and check it out...
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:59 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
JairStout wrote:
Quote:
I never saw the first season of Clannad

Then why on earth are you reviewing the second season? Confused

Nice shelves btw, Kirby.

Because as a reviewer, you sometimes don't have a choice.

...Is that a fair reason? I mean, ANN is a professional type site, right?

I'm not looking to start a flamewar here, I want to be clear on that, but I don't see MUCH this kind of stuff happening on other places. I mean, I haven't seen other major sites say, have one guy review a season of a TV show and then pick another random reviewer who has no knowledge of the first season review the following one.

I get that Erin is the new Shelf Life person, but whoever decided she had to review it put her in an unfair position. You guys could have passed on it or something, right? You're not contractually obligated to make that review, right?

I'm sure that someone will tell me somehow I'm wrong about my opinion but really, it does seem unfair. If I had some site tell me to review a naruto boxset higher than 1 for a column, I'd take the chance of getting dropped or fired or whatever... But I'm not so I guess I better shut the hell up before a staffer yells at me. Surely someone will
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

...I'm sorry but did you just see if Air COULD have been amazing with 24 episodes?

I just want to know if you're saying that 12 kept it from being flawless. I mean seriously, Air did NOT have much more beyond it's 12 episodes to tell... Everything was wrapped up perfectly. There were no loose ends and the ONE arc that lacked in extra content, the summer arc, eventually got 2 more episodes after the main series finished.

Well, I guess the real issue I had with Air is that the pacing was very awkward. I suppose they could have done better in 12 episodes, but with 24, they could have really explored the connection between Misuzu and Kanna - they could have done a lot more overlapping and going back and forth between each era. I think they could have expanded Kano and Minagi's arcs a bit and incorporated them more later in the series (when the focus shifted to Misuzu).

I think the movie does a much better job at pacing, so the series COULD have done better in 12 episodes, I guess Smile I still like Air better than Clannad, though!
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
I'm not looking to start a flamewar here, I want to be clear on that, but I don't see MUCH this kind of stuff happening on other places. I mean, I haven't seen other major sites say, have one guy review a season of a TV show and then pick another random reviewer who has no knowledge of the first season review the following one.

I seriously doubt you'd miss a lot by watching CAS before Clannad. You're clearly overreacting here. Besides, it's always good to hear a "raw" opinion about a show. I call it raw because, looking back at the origins of anime, it was created to give us entertainment, and well, watching a second season simply because you liked the first, always expecting the same thing and having the anime feed on your "expectations". And looking from that point, having Erin's opinion about a season 2, without having seen season 1, is definitely welcome.
You, people, enforcing your tastes on others is a bad habit.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:12 am Reply with quote
My roommate and I had tons of fun sticking RPG labels on the Druaga crew, and recalling similar experiences we'd had to them in various games. I definitely got a lot of enjoyment out of the nerd humor present in Druaga, though I think it stands up pretty well aside from that if you just want something to turn your brain off with. And the visuals are nice.

And oh my god, you have to watch Those Who Hunt Elves. One of very few shows that has made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

Claymore I generally agree with you about; though I'd describe it as "Rental Shelf with value added" rather than "Shelf Worthy because of value added" (never mind the fact that I bought the whole series as singles).

Quote:
the two volumes of manga I read I managed to finish in about 30 minutes (and I read slow, too).

No, that isn't slow. Slow is reading one volume in 45 minutes to an hour (me, regularly). My record is two plus hours for a volume of D. Gray Man, because I was savoring every page.

About Clannad: you summarized what happened in season 1 pretty effectively. Sure there's the actual fluff surrounding how they became a couple and whatnot, but that's the gist of it, so you aren't missing much having not seen it. Anyway, I think you're really going to like a lot of part 2 of AS if you enjoyed the end of part 1. No more of those lame dating antics or anything. Although what's coming is also kind of lame, anyway.

Quote:
It's not as funny as the Samurai Champloo baseball episode...

Hehe yeah, that was a good episode.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:14 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

I'm sure that someone will tell me somehow I'm wrong about my opinion but really, it does seem unfair. If I had some site tell me to review a naruto boxset higher than 1 for a column, I'd take the chance of getting dropped or fired or whatever... But I'm not so I guess I better shut the hell up before a staffer yells at me. Surely someone will

animenewsnetwork.com/review/clannad-after-story/sub.dvd-1

Theron reviewed this last month and he'd seen the first season and reviewed it in context of someone super-familiar with the entire franchise.

Erin's take is from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the first season or the games. Which many people are. It's a valid perspective.

We ran both takes. There isn't anything wrong with that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
As far as Druaga goes, I really wish Gonzo had kept up the slapstick comedy. I absolutely loved the first episode and the episode that had the old arcade machine, but everything else was jsut generic RPG meh for me.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/review/clannad-after-story/sub.dvd-1

Theron reviewed this last month and he'd seen the first season and reviewed it in context of someone super-familiar with the entire franchise.

Erin's take is from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the first season or the games. Which many people are. It's a valid perspective.

...I guess I confused Theron's review with a review I thought Bamboo did. Nice to see then a small mix up of how the reviews were handled, a complete newcomer versus a seasoned viewer.

My mistake then. Still, I hope that she will check out season one before season two part two is tossed at her, if only so she has better enjoyment/understanding of it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Yeah, that seems like a good way to do things. It might not be a bad idea to mention this in the column though. Otherwise people probably aren't aware that you're covering it from multiple points of view and from that perspective it does seem a bit questionable.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Yeah, that seems like a good way to do things. It might not be a bad idea to mention this in the column though. Otherwise people probably aren't aware that you're covering it from multiple points of view and from that perspective it does seem a bit questionable.

From the perspective of "guy who ran into the forums and posted multiple lengthy complaints without bothering to check and see if we'd ran any other reviews of it first" it "seems questionable", I agree.

You wanna bitch, be educated about it first. Not my job to make sure you know what you're talking about before you complain about something.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:19 am Reply with quote
Hentai_JP wrote:
As soon as I realized you haven't even seen first season of Clannad my anger that you put AS in "rental shelf" vanished completely and I stopped reading right there. Without seeing original there is no point in watching sequel.

Which is why i wont for either series. First is that this genere also has never been one of my strong suits though and some of the dialouge were cheesy at times though it have an interesting storyline,unfortunately what killed me is this one had a lack of an english dub which a lot of people went midevil on ADV on their youtube page begging them to include a dub. Cause of these facts,I'd say it's a definate perishabe.

But Claymore on the other hand is a definate Shelf worthy,if the ending dont give you a bad taste afterwards.

It's passable but just like other high octane series like Guyver (ADV's release) and Tokko, the way it ended felt it was begging for a second season. Hopefully if the manga is extremely successful, a 2nd season might be possible. Lets hope that's the case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:39 am Reply with quote
I swear some rants here about the Clannad review are what embarrass me about enjoying certain series. Let's face it, the show isn't God's gift to anime fans. Is anything wrong with a rental recommendation at all?

A lot of reviews are from the perspective of people who haven't seen the original source.

Do you think that Roger Ebert saw all the Pokemon episodes before reviewing any of the films?

And where's Mario? I'm surprised there isn't some rant from him already.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:39 am Reply with quote
One reason I dislike Claymore (and there are many, mind you) is the number system. The biggest reason for this is that Claire is ranked 47, which places her at the bottom of the Claymores, the weakest... except when she goes up against any opponent who's stronger than her, then she gets a Shonen Jump power-up. The weakest should be the weakest, period, otherwise it's just very trite.

Also, I would say (and I'm sure a lot of fans of the manga would agree) that the manga is a better bet than the anime, based solely on the last... six or so episodes, I forget. The biggest issue with the anime is that they introduced a bunch of plot stuff from the manga and then did nothing with it. But I guess it's better than months of crappy filler episodes.
RedLeader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quote
I actually liked Druaga quite a bit. Seems fairly shelfworthy to me... Certainly adding it to my Christmas list now that it's out on DVD. I need to rememebr to watch the second season, though. I keep forgetting to. Anime hyper

To be honest, despite my long and full arcade career, I'd never heard of or seen Druaga before Baton Kaitos' Druaga themed dungeon (complete with 8-bit green slimes for your 3D polygonal heroes to fight). Of course, now, I have it as part of Namco Museum DS. :p And yes, Erin, the arcade sequence in the game is taken DIRECTLY from the original game! Even many of the strategy guide directions are really from the real game! The show had a lot of fun and dramatic moments but I think my favorite is still the line from the first episode where that stuck girl gets attacked by a tentacle monster and Jil wants to save her... "No, no! Let's wait a little longer!" Anime hyper

I also noticed that Erin failed to note that Neeba's party contains a walking, talking Tales of Phantasia reference. Curious.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
It's still kind of irregular to provide a review of part 2 before watching part 1 imo. Jumping into the middle of a story is expected to give you a lower rating imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12