• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DMI Puts All Print Releases on Hiatus in January-June 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gothicangel89

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:58 pm Reply with quote
What the heck? Now I have to wait an entire year just for the next one volume of Itazura na Kiss.

Last edited by gothicangel89 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:

Or it could be that...yaoi titles are so many that so few are good...it's like everything else out there. Not everything can be up to par to like...Tyrant Falls in Love or Border.

I feel the same way.

Much of the new (BL) titles they have release, so few of them lack that "IT" factor: the thing that separates a plain, average smut fest from something truly memorable and actually worth buying. Also, personally, some of the artwork from the lower quality manga looks rather dull and unimaginative.

And I really do not like reading nothing but digital manga (I much rather import) but, if this continues, I'm going have to. Anime cry

Looks like I'm going have to wait until later next year to finish my Itazura Na Kiss collection and to get my Triton manga.
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised if they laid off more people and only kept their sucky freelancers. The only one directing them will be Sasahara's secretary and DMP (or whatever they wanna call themselves now) will continue to churn out crappy manga.

edit: Wait. Some of the titles in that list were part of their Kickstarter campaign that they were so keen on to the point of annoyance. They already have the money for that so what's the hold up?! The most frustrating thing is that if anybody asked them on their forum about this a) you'd get ignored, or b) get the same answer Sasahara gave on that news release.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
osakaedo wrote:
Books before 2000-2005 (depending on the publisher), are not likely digitized. So pubs would have to scan them. Now some don't mind just slapping pages on a cheap scanner but to get high-res clean scans... Well, that costs money.

I don't think it does. I have an an Epson scanner, you just need to do 300 for the res (that's the standard for scanning), but it can go up a lot higher and the Japanese artists only work on half sheets (half from 8x11 size). I'm not sure how companies get their scan like (like are they already clean by the time they get them, ect, and just do the translations). I think if they get scans clean and they do scans themselves, they don't want to do the extra work.
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah I don't know, I just have a really bad feeling that this might not end very well.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
glitchhunter wrote:
Ehh, switching the focus to digital. That sucks. Can't stand digital manga. Would hardly read it at all if it were all digitial.

Same here. It's not that I hate it, but it just can't compare to the physical, tactile experience of reading a hard copy book.

Glad they're still going to release them, just at a later date. I really loved Alice the 101st and was sad when I thought it was left unfinished. Always a big fan of Youka Nitta's work too so I'll absolutely check out Otodama.
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
glitchhunter wrote:
Ehh, switching the focus to digital. That sucks. Can't stand digital manga. Would hardly read it at all if it were all digitial.

Same here. It's not that I hate it, but it just can't compare to the physical, tactile experience of reading a hard copy book.

Glad they're still going to release them, just at a later date. I really loved Alice the 101st and was sad when I thought it was left unfinished. Always a big fan of Youka Nitta's work too so I'll absolutely check out Otodama.

Mn, same. It's not like I hate digital manga- I support efforts to bring manga over here, and I have a JManga account, but I think manga is really best in print, at least, in my experience. It would be such a shame if companies ceased print pubs of manga. I don't see it happening in Japan any time soon, but here in the US, I could see there being issues.

I'm glad, too. I'm really really pumped about their Tezuka releases!
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
edit: Wait. Some of the titles in that list were part of their Kickstarter campaign that they were so keen on to the point of annoyance. They already have the money for that so what's the hold up?!

Actually, those and Vampire Hunter D are the only ones still on target. Pretty safe bet it is because of the Kickstarter requirements, and that's a bridge aren't willing to burn.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
My guesses:

1. Yaoi Con was moved to L.A. last October. A more expensive venue. I doubt more people attended than when it was at the less expensive hotel near the San Francisco airport. I know I couldn't attend. Having to fly down to L.A. just wasn't practical.

2. The latest volumes of certain titles are censored. They are coming from Japan that way due to that Youth Healthy Development Ordinance. I've seen complaints about titles on discussion forums. People aren't buying the titles that are censored.
keikanna44

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
pissed off Evil or Very Mad
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
I've waited far too long for the next volumes of Alice the 101st. I honestly thought they'd ditched that series.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
I haven't bought a DMI manga since the last volume of Enchanter and I'd still like to see that finished Mad
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
[quote="tuxedocat"]My guesses:

1. Yaoi Con was moved to L.A. last October. A more expensive venue. I doubt more people attended than when it was at the less expensive hotel near the San Francisco airport. I know I couldn't attend. Having to fly down to L.A. just wasn't practical.

2. The latest volumes of certain titles are censored. They are coming from Japan that way due to that Youth Healthy Development Ordinance. I've seen complaints about titles on discussion forums. People aren't buying the titles that are censored.[/quote]

I was at yaoi con and the attendance was decidedly less than in past yaoi cons. Even DMI/DMG/DMP's panels had very low attendance (the guest mangaka had very few people at her panels too) compared to SuBLime's panel which ran short of time. I'm beginning to see the writing on the wall and from what people are saying here, the fans are not happy with them either.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
My guesses:

2. The latest volumes of certain titles are censored. They are coming from Japan that way due to that Youth Healthy Development Ordinance. I've seen complaints about titles on discussion forums. People aren't buying the titles that are censored.

Even if attendance at Yaoi Con was lower, DMI is based in Gardena, CA so they should theoretically have had to spend a LOT less to go there (less in shipping books and booth materials, less in hotels, less in airfare)...unless they used the money they saved to go all out in some way? I haven't been to Yaoi Con in a few years, so I have no idea there.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 am Reply with quote
Hmm. I've been subscribing to a Japanese manga magazine (Ribon) through AKAdot Retail (a division of DMI) for a while, but they recently advised me they would not be able to continue to do this, as in a few months they would be "unable to purchase my magazine from their vendors due to various reasons."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3