• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Reviewer.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Didn't notice this before now, but I was browsing the staff page (not something that I do frequently) and I saw that JesuOtaku was listed as a reviewer. I'm assuming that she's the new reviewer that Zac's been looking for lately, so congrats on getting the job JesuOtaku!

Hey, this is feedback, right? I'm hoping that this is all right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey, great job JesuOtaku. I wonder what types of shows you'll do. Or will you be a generalist like Key? And I don't think I've ever heard you say that you read a lot of Manga, so I suppose you won't do much of that.

Another thing that occurred to me; what format will your reviews be? Are you going to go for the tried and tested text, or will you do video reviews? The latter would certainly be interesting.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Now that's a welcome surprise.

I haven't gone through all her video reviews to date, which is a bit of a shame, but going by her forum posts I can tell she's a good reviewer that definitely deserves the chance to do this professionally, regardless of the format involved.

I wish JesuOtaku the best of good luck with her new position.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Good job Jesu! Somehow, I can already guess the types of shows she'll do Wink
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
On a side note, I notice that Erin Finnegan is not listed as a columnist. Shouldn't the staff page have been updated to reflect that by now?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Well done to you, JesuOtaku! You must have excellent time management skills to combine this job with your other projects.
Though none of us are strangers to your reviews, it'll be quite novel to see them in ANN format.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote

Well, I guess it's known now, although I was going to wait to "announce" it or something. News travels fast on the internet! Razz

But yes, I tried out for the reviewer position Zac mentioned on the podcast, wrote up some fake reviews and sent them to him for consideration. I'm not a cranky old-timer, but I am known for being a bit...sardonic...so I was pleasantly surprised that I was selected and I'm pretty excited about joining the ANN team...goodness knows I've haunted these forums for a long time, filling them with posts of ungodly length (like this one) and I guess it's a good thing that something this nice came of it! Very Happy

Thank you for all the kind comments! (I'll be sure to remember them when I'm receiving much nastier ones about the actual reviews I write, I'm sure. Ah, I love the smell of flamers in the morning...) I really appreciate all the support you guys have given me with my video reviews and...well, numerous anime-related endeavors I've been wrapped up in recently. It means SO much to me, and I'm really grateful to have been given this opportunity...although...written reviews are ENTIRELY different from video reviews in form and presentation! I'm going to need some reining in to come up to standards here, no doubt. Anime dazed But I'm doing my best!

dtm42 wrote:
I wonder what types of shows you'll do. Or will you be a generalist like Key? And I don't think I've ever heard you say that you read a lot of Manga, so I suppose you won't do much of that.

Another thing that occurred to me; what format will your reviews be? Are you going to go for the tried and tested text, or will you do video reviews? The latter would certainly be interesting.

I will review whatever they see fit to send me, and whatever I BEG them to let me review when the release comes up, I think...something to that effect. I don't plan on specializing in anything. I embrace all genres! (...Well...except...THAT one, but hopefully, you know which one I mean.) Even then, if I got a moe title, I would be fair and evaluate it for the general viewer as well as the moe fan, because...well...it is a niche. I have to evaluate it for that niche like I might DBZ "for the DBZ fan" as well as the uninitiated or whatever.

No, I almost never read manga...which is funny, because most of my friends like manga WAY more than anime. So I probably won't review it. If they ask me to, I will, but I'm just not very knowledgeable in that medium, so it wouldn't be wise.

As for that second point, no no, I will submit to ye olde tried and true ANN review method, like everyone else here. Uniformity is important, ya know? The video reviews...that'd be SO sticky. There's no way that could work. ANN could not host them in the format I make them now, but that's fine. I can choose what to review, and review older titles if I work independently. It's very nice. Anime smile

If ANN ever wanted to do a regular video segment that I could in any way contribute to, though...well, anyway. That's their department, not mine at all, but I'd be happy to help on that front if the opportunity ever arose. My position as it stands is just another reviewer. Very Happy (But that's awesome.)

Zin5ki wrote:
You must have excellent time management skills to combine this job with your other projects.

Weeeeeell... Anime dazed I haven't been doing any other projects recently, through no choice of my own. My computer has been a big pile of broken for going on a month now, no thanks to the Geek Squad...(tries really hard not to explode into a volley of swear words at the sheer mention of their name...) so I haven't done any videos in forever, and it's totally killing me.

All the same, I'll try to balance the video show with my reviews here on ANN (which come first)...and the new website...and the new podcast...and the Desudes Brigade gang wants me to help with an "awards-show" segment for January. Yeah, when I DO get my computer back, I'm going to be a busy bee. I hope they send it back soon. Crying or Very sad I think I'm only really happy when I'm busy. Laughing

Last edited by JacobC on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
On a side note, I notice that Erin Finnegan is not listed as a columnist. Shouldn't the staff page have been updated to reflect that by now?

That's being fixed.

As for Hope, she's being modest - I contacted her via PM the day before the podcast was posted and asked her to submit some samples for the position. She was actually the only candidate I personally reached out to. I was impressed with the way she'd talked about the principles behind writing reviews, and had seen how people responded to her video reviews. Seemed like a good fit, and the resulting month's worth of emails and tests and edits proved me right.

She's got the complete Nabari no Ou and Tokyo Majin coming to her in the mail so keep an eye out for those reviews. Smile

I should also mention here that the reason we were hiring a new critic in the first place is because Casey Brienza has moved on to greener pastures (namely a job at her grad school which prohibits her from working anywhere else).

I am happy to see people are pleased with the decision. Now just make sure you're as hard on her as you are on my other critics. Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I am happy to see people are pleased with the decision. Now just make sure you're as hard on her as you are on my other critics. Smile

That won't be a problem, ha hah.

Zac wrote:
I should also mention here that the reason we were hiring a new critic in the first place is because Casey Brienza has moved on to greener pastures (namely a job at her grad school which prohibits her from working anywhere else).

But didn't Casey do the, er, how to put this in a non-offensive way, didn't she review the Yaoi and Bishoujo material? Who will replace her? Not that I often read reviews of those types of Anime, but, I'm still curious.

Zac wrote:
She's got the complete Nabari no Ou and Tokyo Majin coming to her in the mail so keep an eye out for those reviews. Smile

But I cannot wait until JesuOtaku's first review. Now only will it be interesting to see how she adjusts to a different format (and rating system), but I am very curious as to her opinion on Tokyo Majin. Key is the reviewer here at ANN I most often agree with, and he has already reviewed half the show and given it a fairly low score. Will she agree with him or not? Maybe she will be even harsher; that'll be hilarious.

I think I can already sort of guess what she'll say about Nabari no Ou, but who knows, I may be surprised.

Oh, and of course, once the reviews goes up she'll also get the title above her Avatar. Right?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I didn't often appreciate Casey's reviews but I'm sad to hear that a reviewer with a passion for manga is being replaced by one who doesn't read manga at all.

That's not to say that I object to JesuOtaku becoming a reviewer in the slightest but ANN's manga reviews are already low in frequency and often months out of date - I'd hoped you'd be improving that aspect of the site rather than neglecting it even further.
I realise that manga has always been the poor relation on ANN but for those of us whose interest is primarily manga rather than anime, there is a danger of ANN becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Could the budget not have stretched to two new reviewers?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
First, congratulations to Hope on becoming ANN's newest reviewer. I'm glad there will be another female voice on staff. However, her assertion that RahXephon (i.e. NGE Lite) is "better" than NGE itself doesn't suggest to me that I'll be seeing eye to eye with her on much, but I'll try to keep an open mind.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Hope, congrats on the new gig! I look forward to reading your reviews.

And Zac, if you decide to take Moomintroll's advice and hire a manga critic, well, you know how to get a hold of me. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
However, her assertion that RahXephon (i.e. NGE Lite) is "better" than NGE itself doesn't suggest to me that I'll be seeing eye to eye with her on much, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

That's where criticism comes in, of course, but I think a good reviewer is someone who can present a proper argument and still make it interesting enough to be worth considering or discussing, which doesn't mean his or her views need to coincide with my own.
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
While I may not be famous like Blood-, I'd like to congratulate you as well, and I hope that attacks you receive from your reviews are about your opinions on things, and are well thought out and explained, not made towards you personally because of your opinions.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
Blood- wrote:
However, her assertion that RahXephon (i.e. NGE Lite) is "better" than NGE itself doesn't suggest to me that I'll be seeing eye to eye with her on much, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

That's where criticism comes in, of course, but I think a good reviewer is someone who can present a proper argument and still make it interesting enough to be worth considering or discussing, which doesn't mean his or her views need to coincide with my own.

That's always been my philosophy. If I can give good, detailed reasons for what I think of what works and what doesn't in a show, you have good reason to agree or disagree with me, right? At least I hope so.

It shouldn't be a big deal about what I said about RahX anyway. (Again...I make one statement, and two pages of debate erupt from it that I swiftly back away from. Oy.) I said IN MY OPINION, it stood up as a better standalone work than Evangelion, being consistently excellent from beginning to end while Evangelion rollercoastered from occasional heights that far surpassed RahX to the embarrassing depths of bad fanfiction at points (ep. 24). But I also said I could see how people would totally disagree with that because RahX is far from being an EVA clone: they're very different works and people will respond to their evocative content very differently. I prefer RahX but can see why others would like EVA more.

...sorry I don't read much manga. Sad Maybe I should start back into that again. My roommate reads manga near-constantly, so I should get pointers from her, I guess. ...Seriously, every time I show her a new anime (which is frequently,) she goes searching for the manga version of it, and thanks to her, I know what's going on in Berserk, seeing as I couldn't keep up with its endless chapters myself but loved the anime.

See, I became an anime fan based on a love of animation and film in general, and not from comics. I'm still not "into" comics on the whole, so I'm less interested in manga on the whole, but I still like reading it...just less than watching anime, heh heh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3