• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Festival Asia 2009

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I want more pictures of food and how Justin is avoiding the mandatory death sentence.
yurijuri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:21 pm Reply with quote
It was interesting to get a glimpse into a convention in Singapore!

I also have to add that I love the picture of the Animax office. I never thought I'd see Dean from Supernatural next to an anime character.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Re: 15 *shock* you mean to tell me Singapore did *not* build a perfect, happy society? [/sarcasm]

Re: Dubs to goof at: Yay! Please tell me you got a snippet of Victorian Romance Emma! No, wait, don't tell me, it'll be a surprise! Whatever you got, I'm looking forward to anncasts more than ever!

Re: Cosplayers: I never minded the Ls, they're just having fun. As for the "buttoned up Asian society," well, the concept comes from Japan to begin with...but I do want to see more photos, please!

Hope you have a good trip back (and get to rest. Good thing it's Thanksgiving!)
Egret

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
yurijuri wrote:
It was interesting to get a glimpse into a convention in Singapore!

I also have to add that I love the picture of the Animax office. I never thought I'd see Dean from Supernatural next to an anime character.

Oh, thank God you saw it, too. I read the update this morning before work, and I thought I had to be hallucinating or watching way too much television or something. Begs the question, though--what the hell is a picture of Dean Winchester doing at an anime convention in Singapore?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Egret wrote:
yurijuri wrote:

Oh, thank God you saw it, too. I read the update this morning before work, and I thought I had to be hallucinating or watching way too much television or something. Begs the question, though--what the hell is a picture of Dean Winchester doing at an anime convention in Singapore?

Supernatural is shown on Animax's sister channel AXN (which used to have an anime block). A little cross-promotion never hurts.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
That pic was only part of a large wall that included 3 other networks, including AXN as has been mentioned.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Re: Dubs to goof at: Yay! Please tell me you got a snippet of Victorian Romance Emma! No, wait, don't tell me, it'll be a surprise! Whatever you got, I'm looking forward to anncasts more than ever!

Wait, I just looked up VRE here and how is there an English dub? I remember that TRSI released it sub only so are there multiple countries listed under the English speaking release? Would love to see it in English too since it is set in England after all....
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Animax Asia usually dubs their shows for ONLY the South Asian market. Unfortunately, this means Odex-style dubs, produced very quickly and cheaply in countries with prominent and inconsistent accents and little to no professional acting pool. Most of the time they will fall very short of the standards of most dub fans. I told the Animax guys how much proper US dubbing costs and they just about freaked.

Pretty sure Shawne would have tried to include it on his DVD had he thought there was a point.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I think Animax dubbed a version of Cardcaptors that I watched not too long ago that could make babies cry. The actors who did Sakura and Li were so terrible that I feel like making a new word that's strong enough to describe it, but I won't because I know it won't be able to express my emotions properly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ravager

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I heard Reine Hibiki, the illustrator for Marimite and First Love Sisters, was at AFA. Can anyone confirm it?

Yep she was there. Here's a photo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5