• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: MangaGamer Adds Koihime†Musō, More Da Capo Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
What is Innocent Finale, exactly?

EDIT:

Second question. If we're now seeing this company releasing non-adult games, is it possible that they may in the future release the non-adult versions of games like Da Capo and Shuffle?
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I hope they made their letting a bit more bold this time. It was hard to read the text in Shuffle!. Sad
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:46 am Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
What is Innocent Finale, exactly?
Visual Novel Database

Koihime†Musou being translated has been rumored since last summer, but it's nice to get a confirmation, because I had already forgotten the rumors and was about to start playing Koihime in Japanese.
dan888

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:15 pm Reply with quote
One other thing, with Higurashi (quote from the Soul Link translator)

Quote:
They are also planning to open an "All Ages" version of the website version for the Higurashi release. So those of you who aren't 18 can still enjoy Higurashi.

Seeing that KiraKira is getting a non adult IPhone version, it would not be a surprise in the least if that non adult version ends up on the all ages version of the website as well.
VDZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Okay, to clear up some misunderstandings and add some additional information...

First of all, a blatant mistake.
About Tactics and Nexton
The article states One ~To The Radiant Season~ was made by Nexton. This is incorrect.
The company Tactics made One ~To The Radiant Season~ (after two other games, Dousei and Moon.) and released it in 1998. After its release, the people who worked on Moon. and One left Tactics to start a new company, Key. (Yes, this is the Key that made Kanon, Air and Clannad.) Shortly after, the company was bought by Nexton.
In other words, Nexton had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of One, but they probably do have the rights to the game (they re-released Moon. at some point, so they'll likely also have the rights for Dousei and One).

MangaGamer's current Nexton line-up consists of only Liquid (another subsidiary) titles: Suck my dick or die! and My sex slave is a classmate have been released, and The Queen and Princess as your rewards is planned for release, but no release date is known.
Most likely, "a few adult titles from NEXTON" refers to random sex romps.
On a more positive note, Koihime Musou is also a Nexton title, so the chances of more serious VNs coming from Nexton soon aren't zero.

About MangaGamer
MangaGamer is a company that spawned from Circus, Nexton, Overdrive and Tarte, and focuses solely on releasing English-translated visual novels.
So far, every title by them has been by one of the above companies or its subsidiaries, with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni becoming the first exception (although it must be mentioned that 07th Expansion's licensing costs are most likely very low, as they're already glad their story is getting to non-Japanese audiences - also see their extremely positive response to the fan translation of Umineko no Naku Koro ni). This means titles not by one of MangaGamer's founders are much less likely to be released by MangaGamer.

MangaGamer's prices started out very high (50 euros), and they've been experimenting with them a bit. Eventually, they seem to have settled on 37 euros, with Kira Kira and Shuffle having been released for that price. However, since Koihime Musou features gameplay and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni was originally a doujin game (which are generally much cheaper than regular VNs), their prices may vary nonetheless. Comparing to the original Japanese visual novel prices, MangaGamer releases are cheap. 9000 yen is a completly normal price for a visual novel over there. Compared to its competitor, JAST USA, MangaGamer is more expensive.

MangaGamer releases games as download-only, with no plans to sell physical copies. As MangaGamer is only a small company and the non-Japanese VN market is a small market, they can't afford to invest a lot into making physical disks available (JAST USA on the other hand can do this just fine, as they're a large company, further supported by J-List). This has been confirmed multiple times, regardless of what the rumor mill might say - they've played with the idea, but the conclusion remains that it's a bad idea.
They have been selling merchandise related to their VNs at conventions, however there do not seem to be any plans yet to sell this stuff outside of conventions.

MangaGamer ports all games they release to the Buriko General Interpreter/Ethornell engine. This means that they can release non-PC games just fine, as they're porting the whole thing anyways.
Chaos;Head Noah will never, ever be released by MangaGamer, though, as JAST USA currently has a partnership with Nitro+, publisher of Chaos;Head and Chaos;Head Noah.

MangaGamer has been confirmed to be in the red before the release of Kira Kira and Shuffle. However, Kira Kira was very popular among visual novel fans, and Shuffle was very popular among anime fans; it is unknown if the success of these two titles has managed to improve their situation, though.

No plans have been announced concerning releases of non-adult versions of adult games. It has been confirmed that they plan to open an all-ages version of the site for the Higurashi release, though.

About the news
It must be noted that this news is just from a forum post by EvoSpace, a MangaGamer employee. It is in no way an announcement, and any release can be delayed, removed, etc. EvoSpace is a very reliable source, though, but keep in mind that this is all an unofficial confirmation - especially the later release dates will inevitably change.
Releases for Da Capo IF and Da Capo II were not confirmed yet, although it was known they have the license. Koihime Musou, Higurashi, KKCC and EEF were already known, but there was no release date announced yet.
'The rest of Higurashi' will 99% sure be Higurashi no Naku Koro in Kai, episodes 5-8 of the Higurashi story, which will conclude the story (although a later game, Higurashi Rei, adds additional story). From what I've heard, the first season of the Higurashi anime covers the first 6 episodes and was a horrible adaptation (as is often the case with VN adaptations. Perhaps it wasn't a bad series, but it left out WAY too much from its source).

Other stuff
An unofficial font hack has been made for Shuffle!, which can be downloaded at http://www.mediafire.com/?e2gjtqwnzgd. When using the hack, the game has a bolder font. Kira Kira was also released with the same font; EvoSpace has probably heard the complaints, but it hasn't been confirmed yet whether or not MangaGamer will change the font in future releases.

It's not 'Edelweiess Eden Fantasia'. It's 'Edelweiss Eden Fantasia'.

Hi dan88.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
VDZ wrote:

About Tactics and Nexton
The article states One ~To The Radiant Season~ was made by Nexton. This is incorrect.

The article does not say that Nexton created the 1998 One ~To The Radiant Season~ game. It says that Nexton created the 2003 One: True Stories anime. Nexton is listed as gensaku for the anime.

Quote:
About the news
It must be noted that this news is just from a forum post by EvoSpace, a MangaGamer employee. It is in no way an announcement, and any release can be delayed, removed, etc.

Nowhere in the article does it say that these titles were announced, just "revealed" as "slated," similar to how Media Blasters "reveals" its titles through forum posts.

Quote:

Actually, it's neither. It's Edelweiss Eiden Fantasia.

I didn't write this article, but I'd rather have any criticism of the author's work be constructive.
VDZ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
VDZ wrote:

About Tactics and Nexton

The article does not say that Nexton created the 1998 One ~To The Radiant Season~ game. It says that Nexton created the 2003 One: True Stories anime. Nexton is listed as gensaku for the anime.

Yes. And that field is used to denote the original creator. For example, at Umineko no Naku Koro ni it shows Ryukishi07, and at Da Capo it shows Circus. It doesn't mean they made the anime; they made the source material and gave the okay for the adaptation. Nexton did give the okay for the anime adaptation, but they were not involved with the production of either the original work or the anime adaptation.

Quote:
Nowhere in the article does it say that these titles were announced, just "revealed" as "slated," similar to how Media Blasters "reveals" its titles through forum posts.

Yeah, but it was more of a warning that these dates will change. The article is written in a way that makes it looks like these dates have been announced and are likely to be correct (whereas past experience has shown that pretty much every release date that is not less than 2 months after its announcement is incorrect).

Quote:

Actually, it's neither. It's Edelweiss Eiden Fantasia.[/quote]
You got me there.

Quote:
I didn't write this article, but I'd rather have any criticism of the author's work be constructive.

Pointing out what mistakes there are in the article and explaining why those things are wrong is constructive criticism. Using that criticism, the author can improve the article. Non-constructive criticism would be if I'd just say 'this article sucks' or 'this article is totally full of errors' without pointing out what should be improved.

You're confusing 'constructive criticism' with 'positive criticism'.
" The article is really good"
is highly positive but non-constructive criticism, as it doesn't provide any information the author can use to improve their article, whereas
"This article is horrible. X was released by Y, not by Z, and it was released in 1998, not 1999. And which idiot would confuse GAME A with GAME B?? GAME A is obviously the sequel, they're releasing the original, GAME B. Retards."
is very negative but still constructive criticism. It may be very rude, but at least it has information the author can use to improve their article.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote
VDZ wrote:

Yes. And that field is used to denote the original creator. For example, at Umineko no Naku Koro ni it shows Ryukishi07, and at Da Capo it shows Circus. It doesn't mean they made the anime; they made the source material and gave the okay for the adaptation. Nexton did give the okay for the anime adaptation, but they were not involved with the production of either the original work or the anime adaptation.

In other words,
• Nexton is listed as gensaku, which is used to denote the creator(s) of 2003-2004 videos.
• Nexton was not involved in the cel-by-cel/pixel-by-pixel animation process of the 2003-2004 videos
• Nexton was not involved in the creation of the 1998 game

However, nothing in the article contradicts these points or would need to be called out as "incorrect" by a post that itself was incorrect.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, but it was more of a warning that these dates will change. The article is written in a way that makes it looks like these dates have been announced and are likely to be correct (whereas past experience has shown that pretty much every release date that is not less than 2 months after its announcement is incorrect).

Again, the article never says "announced" or "announcement" for the new titles, and in fact, emphasizes that previous dates for Higurashi: When They Cry were revised. Please do not read asumptions into an article and then criticize the article for what it does not say.

Quote:
Quote:

Pointing out what mistakes there are in the article and explaining why those things are wrong is constructive criticism. Using that criticism, the author can improve the article. Non-constructive criticism would be if I'd just say 'this article sucks' or 'this article is totally full of errors' without pointing out what should be improved.

Except, no actual mistake was pointed out except for one — in a statement that was itself incorrect. That's not constructive.

Quote:
You're confusing 'constructive criticism' with 'positive criticism'.

Please show where anyone in this thread asked for only positive criticism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2