• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Launch Day

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
thepsychogamer wrote:
The WiiU launch line up seems pretty bad for any one who already owns an HD console.

You're telling me. It's basically a souped PS3 with a watered down iPad controller consisting of PS3/360 ports with gameplay variations.

Its today's Atari 5200. Its the Nintendo 5200.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
and watched the Giant Bomb Endurance Run...

What was that? I assume it a challenge run with some sort of self-imposed restrictions, but what were they? I haven't played Persona 4 at all yet, though I played part of P3 so I have a general idea of how the game works.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
Also can we stop with Smash bros inventing that game style. It did not , it came out concurrently with power stone, which is actually the better series of the two. Smash only gets the benefit of having mario and zelda in every game, and people will buy just about anything with them in it.

Personal opinions aside, Smash Bros is on a 2D plane and Power Stone is in a 3D space. That's a pretty big difference in gameplay. Considering that All-Stars is also on a 2D plane featuring characters from other games the comparison is quite apropos.

From the article:
Quote:
And for those who already went through Persona 4, you can skip through to the new material fairly quick.

Is this a feature? Or is it just easy to find the new content if you're already familiar with the game?

okay and virtual fighter was 3d and street fighter was 2d but it was the same gameplay. There was no change in gameplay from FF6 to FF7. Theres a change in visual style but at the end of day both games are classified as turn based role playing games.

PS and SB are 4 player brawlers, and both unlike most other fighting games allows for pickups. But these are the only 2 real difference they have from fighters as a whole, and both have them and both came out at the same time.

Lets not kid ourseleves her though, despite being a new IP PS went on to have a sequel and a full run anime series, as well as a port on the psp. Smash bros probably wouldnt have anywhere near the success if they had used original characters and not just relied on what Nintendo always relies on Mario and Link. Honestly I could say the same thing about a lot of their games. While the Zelda games have and continue to be gems, the mario games are spilt. You have the good quasi series which is 64-Sunshine-Galaxy; and then you have all other mario games that would sell 5 copies if they had no mario. New super mario bros, have you played that game, its awful, its only marginal better than the NES game and that only thanks to graphics. But whatever.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Might I just say I love you for suggesting Dark Cloud 2 and Okage characters? Dark cloud 1's Xiao would also be a cool addition. However, a lot (if not 99 percent) of these are American franchises. So no, nobody interesting.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
It seems like only yesterday that the Wii was out now we're up to the next system the Wii U. Well, at least the good news is that if you never had a Wii in the first place then you might as well pick up the next console. I guess I kind of feel down and out because I just picked up a Wii for my niece and there really isn't many that she'd be interested in playing. I could make use of it, but for me as I've never owned on personally I may eventually get a Wii U. The Nintendo Land looks interesting as a family game. But I doubt we'd waste the money for that system just for one game.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 pm Reply with quote
From what I have seen that Adventure time looks like it might be one of the best games of the year! It might make me actually want to play Zelda II.

As for the WiiU, for sure not picking one up right away just case not to much interest in the system its self, but man, it is hard to say no to a good 2D mario game. Might just pick up the 2ed mario 3DS game to quell that feeling though.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:10 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, the main Mario games continue to be just as much gems as the main Zelda games. Even the RPG titles are a lot of fun and have a certain level of polish. I get that Nintendo is milking the side scrollers, but the fact is people still buy them. If it means getting the profit to make better quality and innovative 3D Mario titles, it's a trade off I'm willing to accept.
wayne-kun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:18 am Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
In my opinion, the main Mario games continue to be just as much gems as the main Zelda games. Even the RPG titles are a lot of fun and have a certain level of polish. I get that Nintendo is milking the side scrollers, but the fact is people still buy them. If it means getting the profit to make better quality and innovative 3D Mario titles, it's a trade off I'm willing to accept.

I agree, I actually find mario a lot more fun then zelda. I don't hate the 3D mario games, I just kinda suck at them. I don't know how many times I have thrown my self off the sides in Super Mario Land 3D. I am lookin at that new Paper mario and just waiting till pay day to snatch that mother up. Because if there is one mario series aside from snes mario games I love, its paper mario.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
wayne-kun wrote:
Son-kun wrote:

I agree, I actually find mario a lot more fun then zelda. I don't hate the 3D mario games, I just kinda suck at them. I don't know how many times I have thrown my self off the sides in Super Mario Land 3D. I am lookin at that new Paper mario and just waiting till pay day to snatch that mother up. Because if there is one mario series aside from snes mario games I love, its paper mario.

I love hte Mario games , but Skyward Sword (once I got use to it) was honestly the most fun I've had in gaming in the past decade. My Wii died playing it 30 hours in, a year ago, but i still remember every minute of it.

Also, nitpicking here I'm sure but " iPad-ish touch screen." kinda irks me because the Ipad was not the first touch screen which this sentence kinda makes it seem like it was. Better comparison would be like a giant DS screen. Wii U pretty solid system from what I saw of it
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
I'm liking my WiiU so far, but the process of getting it ready to play games (especially if you want to get the Deluxe deal for the 10% rebates from the eshop) is kind of ridiculous.

It must've taken like 7 hours before me and my friends got to finally sit down and play 5-player Sonic Racing...

And man, Sonic Racing Whatever You Call It is an amazing game.

The tracks are so good.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
When I say main Mario games, I mean games like SMB 1-3, World, 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1-2. The NSMB series I kind of consider to be a side series to satisfy the classic gamers. The only NSMB game I've really enjoyed was the first one on the DS. The Wii title was ok, while NSMB 2 is pretty much a disappointment. NSMB U looks to combine elements from SMB 3 and World, and I'm liking the some of the level design with nods to Yoshi's Island. I'm personally more of a fan of the 3D titles and the Galaxy games were some of the best games I've played this generation. Also glad to hear that Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed to be good fun.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
It's honestly my favorite piece of gaming hardware right now...

Playing Ninja Gaiden on the tablet is awesome since I don't have to move around in order to get at the optimal distance from my TV; I can stay right here in front of my computer.

Also, Ayane is glorious x_x

Also, Miiverse (it's like Twitter for Nintendo) is surprisingly addicting (and informative: I learned about the dreaded boost challenge glitch for Sonic Racing from the game's community forum)...

If that wasn't enough, you can actually pause the game, open the web browser and surf with a browser that isn't terrible (it plays youtube videos... it can probably load ANN and had I not already been here on my computer, I could've probably made this post from my WiiU).

Then, when you're done screwing around watching cat videos on youtube or something (youtube is probably the only video player that works), you close the browser and continue your game.

The system has its problems (lol day one patch), but it's terrific when it works.

I actually wish that Hitman was coming out for the system too... would've immediately switched consoles had this been the case.

ANYWAY, even if the thing fails miserably, there's a lot of stuff here that I'm hoping will become industry standards...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2