• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Sekirei, Tetsuwan Birdy Decode & Decode:02

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
@Rancourous
This is actually pretty tame. If any another company would've licensed them then there'd be at least 8 pages of dub fans and sub fans bickering with the occasional middle-grounder who comes in and talks about how people should be happy we're even getting anime here. Also, there's no armchair CEO's with imaginary stats and numbers. So, yeah, they're annoying as hell, but this isn't as bad/entertaining to read as others.

@Eivion
Then I mistook you for an angry acnebeard, but I still don't think those are reasons to be disappointed in the license.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Oooh I like that Full Metal Panic news. Maybe now I can finally get some replacements for the crappy Heavy Metal Collection I have that ADV put out that won't cost me ~$80.

Yay, Funimation!

Why're they crappy? I got the Neon Genesis Evangelion Heavy Metal set and it's not crappy.

They're crappy because when I upscale them to 720p on my 42" TV they look like shit. And before people start going off on the "too many episodes a disc" thing I'll say that it's only my ADV discs that look bad, the Funimation ones look great. So it's an ADV problem, not a general too many episodes per disc problem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Whats with the hate on Sekirei?

I know two people who enjoyed the show and are now fanboying / fangirling over the fact it was picked up.

I mean from all the clips they showed me and all the other stuff I have seen it looks like a pretty ok show.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Lame, sexually autistic, milquetoast boy gets turned into a pretty space alien woman dressed in a santly clad battle suit? Call that new? Yawn. Rolling Eyes

Of course not, since it's a remake of a show over ten years old to start with. Who said anything about it being new? It's just fun.
Someone over in the other thread about FMP was lamenting that Funi wasn't licencing "something new" but then saw Birdy pop up, though they must have been living in a deep cave recently. Looking up the OVA I think I'd rather given that a go then this. The OVA designs look great and the plot, though similar, the protagonist doesn't appear to be so pathetic. Decode looks like a bad knock off, like Tenchi in Tokyo.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm sort of interested in Birdy, and surprised it didn't get picked up sooner, but I still want DMC, dammit! Anyway, I wonder if this means someone will license rescue the OVA or if Viz will publish the manga.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
@ the Rancorous: It's more than a little hypocritical for me to say this but I agree with you. Though you left out the inevitable if Funimation is the company doing the licensing "ZOMG! MONOPOLY!" comments. I'm a hypocrite here since I've contributed plenty of whining at various times about lack of dubs or recasts (though I still think being aggravated on principle about recasts is valid) but you've got a very good point. There really isn't any bad news here unless you just find the idea of a show you don't like or don't want getting licensed to be a bad thing.

Neither of the new licenses was on my radar but they sound good to me. I'm very pleased to see FMP! now with a stable company. (Also glad that they are getting both seasons of Birdy straight out since that cuts down on angst for it's fans and me if I get into it.)

Curious if this means they'll get the second season of Sekirei automatically. Also I wonder if there will be any more licensing from them before the end of the year.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Sekirei did contain one of the only true tsunderes in anime. None of that Rie Kugimiya insane psychotic Helga G. Pataki bitch stuff, but a character that showed the loving side to the character quite often. It's Pokemon with hot women; I'll definitely considering owning it.

Birdy is less stupid than some people here might think, the show isn't oriented around fanservice at all but on the storyline of the other aliens and fighting them, just like the original OVA.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Birdy is less stupid than some people here might think, the show isn't oriented around fanservice at all but on the storyline of the other aliens and fighting them, just like the original OVA.

Totally agree.

It's also tragic in parts and has well animated fight scenes. The guy isn't turned into an alien. He's sharing her body. So technically, she turns into him.

Hopes for Birdy BDs with lossless Japanese audio.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, if they come out with BD's of FMP and FMPF, it would actually force me to pick up TSR on BD as well. I remember the first Birdy OVA as being a little bland for my tastes, but Birdy Decode seems to have a little bit more flair to it now, so I'll look into seeing what thats about. Pretty soon Funi might be the only game in town judging on how things are going into, and I am more than a little interested in how things will shape up from now on.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* come on FUNimation, when is Phantom coming?
sypherman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly pumped about all of the licenses but l'm going to bust out my happy dance for the fact that shikabane hime is hitting DVD soon.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just be glad we're getting more anime over here AT ALL.

I'd rather not get anything over crappy shows like Sekirei. It's like Ikki Tousen, without the rape.

Kaiba would probably sell just as much as this, if not a little less so companies should start thinking quality over quantity. I tell ya, Nozomi Ent. has a quality monopoly over Funimation. Funimation is just for laughs nowadays. With the exception of Casshern and Higashi no Eden and a few other titles, everything else has been laughs.

Birdy is pretty good though. Can't complain about that one since I MIGHT pick it up. I can't really complain though. We still have a lot more anime distributors out there.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Funimation....

....where the hell is the second season of Hell Girl? Mad
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Kaiba would probably sell just as much as this, if not a little less so companies should start thinking quality over quantity.

As much as I prefer Kaiba to Sekirei, I have no doubt that Kaiba would be a flop in the US. Shows like Kaiba simply don't appeal to much of the target audience for anime in the US (Frankly, Kaiba doesn't appeal much to most of the target audience for anime in Japan either). Meanwhile Sekirei has a bunch of women with huge tits who conveniently fight each other so their already skimpy clothes get torn up, along with plenty of nudity aside from that. I have no doubt it will sell more than Kaiba would.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Me: "Hey wallet, what do you say about Tetsuwan Birdy Decode seasons coming out?"

Mr. Wallet: "Give me a date and it's on and poppin' yo."

Chrno it seems your wallet is a african american youth.

Because that's how all African American youth talk(/sarcasm), right?.

I'm black its a total joke. lol.

And yes....we do sound old Count.
I'm sure we can all think of a million other titles Funi's should get. But they didn't.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if these rather decent-level tier Aniplex titles are another one of those "packaging deals" so FUNi could get the bigger sought Aniplex titles like say Kara no Kyokai or Kuroshitsuji.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6