• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Starts Initiative for Co-Producing Anime

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
If any company can make this actually work its Funimation. Funimation has continued to impress me and stand above most other companies.

No telling how this will turn out, but I wish the best for Funimation. Next to Viz Media, Funimation is one my favorite anime companies these days.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I've seen in said that, in Japan, they consider it Japanese animation only if everyone from key animator upwards is Japanese. By this definintion, Tekkonkinkreet is not actually an anime as it has an American director.

v1cious wrote:
looks like an anime Thundercats just became very likely. we are already seeing revamps of the other old franchises, so it makes perfect sense.

If Thundercats is not considered an anime then something that comes out of this deal probably would not either. Thundercats was animated in Japan for the American market (Keiji Gotoh cut his teeth on it). Since the article is also talking about animating things in Japan for the American market you would end up with the same thing, only newer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kakugo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
I have posted here as a handy flow chart:

I think you just became my hero for the day.

As for FUNi co-producing "Japanese" animation... eh, whatever. Sometimes co-productions appeal to me (Afro Samurai, Hellsing Ultimate) and sometimes they don't (IGPX, Halo). Some are fantastic, some are unbearable. Wither you get a Ghost in the Shell or a Highlander is dependent upon a thousand variables - the producers only being one small piece of the puzzle.

I'll keep my torch and pitchfork in the closet until FUNimation announces Witchblade vs Afro Samurai.
dyuken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:11 am Reply with quote
I gotta tell you , as a guy who is currently pitching an original IP for anime, I am very excited. I think that a lot of times, we forget that their are talented people still left in this country.

Sure their are those who have jumped on the anime bandwagon, and tried to ride it into the ground, but for the most part, us people who watch anime serve as our own quality control.

So even if they did make something, if it wasn't up to muster then it would really not resonate with us.

So yeah I am pretty excited.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11