• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Evangelion: 2.0 You Can [Not] Advance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Great review, Justin. I've put off seeking out EVA 1.0 because seeing a simple retread didn't get me all that fired up, but after reading how much things twist and turn in 2.0, well, my next stop after I finish this post is Right Stuf to pick up a copy of 1.0. This really, really sounds fantastic.

Nebs wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:
Wonder how Tiffany will handle a soft-hearted, more affecting Asuka!

Assuming Funimation will even cast her in the role, which I certainly hope they do. Replacing Rei's VA is one thing, the girl hardly talks. But I can't imagine any other English actor playing Asuka.

AGREED. I identify her so much with the character that wherever Grant pops up, I immediately think Asuka. Funimation, if you're reading this, please please PLEASE use Tiffany Grant for Asuka again. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
tmsidr wrote:
The new Asuka is adorable *_*.

That's a good example of everything that went wrong with this movie. Everything is adorable (moe), at the level of a date sim. NGE was way more than that.
Vent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
animefan1238 wrote:
i was skeptical of the first movie but reading how this takes a slight turn in the story i'm sold. now i just have to see the first movie. Eva was the first series i bought. (on the white VHS tapes LOL!)

Slight turn is a pretty big understatement. It's more of a sharp winding mountain curve in the story. This is where it is blatantly clear the movies are their own entity entirely.
sonickid101

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
what doesw he meen a long wait? 3.0 comes out this summer, the first 2 movies took 2 years to complete. This is FAST!
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
"my next stop after I finish this post is Right Stuf to pick up a copy of 1.0."

psst. Walmart $20. I was shocked, but happy. Not that I have anything against R/S, they get plenty of my cash too.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That whole track 27 thing is a very interesting way to symbolize the redirection of the series. Very nice to hear that while more mature, Anno isn't sugar coating things. The mood stabilizer line was both hilarious and exactly what I wanted to hear.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Nebs wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:
Wonder how Tiffany will handle a soft-hearted, more affecting Asuka!

Assuming Funimation will even cast her in the role, which I certainly hope they do. Replacing Rei's VA is one thing, the girl hardly talks. But I can't imagine any other English actor playing Asuka.

AGREED. I identify her so much with the character that wherever Grant pops up, I immediately think Asuka. Funimation, if you're reading this, please please PLEASE use Tiffany Grant for Asuka again. Thanks.

Yeah, I have said this before too, this is going to be such a massive key to the dub for 2.0 for me.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
To the people worried about Tiffany Grant playing Asuka:

Have you not seen the Asuka room in her house? You know, the shrine that has Asuka posters, figures, watches, charms, license plates, shirts and more random Askua stuff from one wall to other from the top to the bottom. I have a feeling that Tiffany called them telling them that she's ready to go and all they need to do is name the time and place.

Tiffany is in love with that girl, so I don't think you have to worry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
I read usenet groups like rec.arts.anime and forums for over a decade now and I never have met such strong animosity toward unusual narrative storytelling and self-awareness of the original series and also towards Anno Hideaki among european anime fans as in raam or english speaking anime forums like in ANN.

If you've observed, I'll trust you on that. I don't talk with enough people from around the world to know if that's true. I will say I've known plenty of Americans who consider the original series to be THE GREATEST ANIME EVER and who will get very pissed whenever you point out its flaws and volunteer better ones. In fact, I would say it's only been a recent phenomenon to have swarms of haters. Older fans love it, younger fans can't stand it. Maybe it's hype backlash, or maybe Evangelion just doesn't seem as innovative anymore after all the great series that rose up since then to meet the challenge of being as smart and filled with well-developed characters as it was.

Quote:
So yeah, for me this must be an american thing, something like being on the right or wrong (political) side. An "either - or" thing with little or no place for middle ground opinions.

Wha....? Well, for starters, that's partly the result of the electoral college crippling us into a two-party system, but don't trust the view of American politics you get from our godawful media. They only want to show the loonies on both sides and totally ignore the moderates in between who don't fit into the neat categories of "liberal" and "conservative."

Also, don't trust the internet to necessarily represent an entire nation's sense of a series. As many have said, people are dicks to each other on the internet. It's much more appealing - and easier - to just flame the other side online.

I think this thread so far has been astounding for its balanced tone and lack of attacks on differing opinions. I was certain that a host of fans of the first series would be descending here to rag on Justin for daring to criticize their sacrosanct series and decrying the remake as meddling with perfection. As for myself, I'll say I like RahXephon more than Evangelion without saying it's the better series (partly because it would never have even existed without Evangelion). But in my not-so-humble opinion, if you want an intelligent, trippy, hyper-symbolic series with thoroughly well developed characters that utterly subverts the tropes upon which it plays and is better than Evangelion, go watch Revolutionary Girl Utena.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I wish these came out faster, in America AND Japan. I hate that I'll have to wait so long to see them. I'm in such an Eva mood, I'll have to marathon the series this weekend.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I'll say I like RahXephon more than Evangelion without saying it's the better series (partly because it would never have even existed without Evangelion).

Well, that hardly precludes it from being better. Eva itself borrowed a lot from Ideon, but its much better because Ideon is a mess.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
I'll say I like RahXephon more than Evangelion without saying it's the better series (partly because it would never have even existed without Evangelion).

Well, that hardly precludes it from being better. Eva itself borrowed a lot from Ideon, but its much better because Ideon is a mess.

Mostly I just don't like to argue the point because I think it sometimes comes down to a matter of taste with RahXephon and Evangelion. Besides, this is a thread for Evangelion, and so far we've all been civil, I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest saying one is better than the other. I think they both have their strengths and their weaknesses. And I like RahXephon more. But not as much as Revolutionary Girl Utena, which is mind-blowing once you get past its bizarreness.
p3rseus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
I didn't like the series much but after seeing the first movie I'm looking forward to the second. It seems they cleaned up, took out all the annoying things that were in the series and polished the good things.
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
In fact, I would say it's only been a recent phenomenon to have swarms of haters. Older fans love it, younger fans can't stand it. Maybe it's hype backlash, or maybe Evangelion just doesn't seem as innovative anymore after all the great series that rose up since then to meet the challenge of being as smart and filled with well-developed characters as it was.

Agreed. A friend of mine is a newer fan, so one day I invited her over to watch Evangelion with me. She fell asleep within the first ten minutes, and pronounced it to be 'boring'. Since then, whenever I mention Eva, she always responds with "Oh, you mean, Gundam? Cause they're totally the same thing, right?" Last night I thought I'd show her episode 22. She was bored, and then told me that it wasn't disturbing or messed up enough.
Based on her opinions, and what newer fans say here at ANN, I have to say that if a person didn't watch the show when it was relatively new, they're most likely not going to enjoy it. So many shows have built upon the foundations that Evangelion laid out, and have done so quite well, so I guess I can't blame newer fans for not seeing what makes the show so great.
It's the same as when my boyfriend showed me Tenchi Muyo! I had never seen it before, and it was quite a few years after it came out. I was bored, and thought it was cliched crap, because I had already seen, and had gotten tired of, the harem genre. Therefore, a show that he had loved because he had seen it when it was new, I absolutely hated, because I had already seen it all before.

Oh, and you are SO right about Utena. Utena is wrestling with Evangelion for my #1 favourite anime spot. The only thing that's keeping Eva in the lead is the fact that it's one of my first anime, and, as much as I love the characters in Utena, I'm slightly more attached the the people in Eva.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Agreed. A friend of mine is a newer fan, so one day I invited her over to watch Evangelion with me. She fell asleep within the first ten minutes, and pronounced it to be 'boring'. Since then, whenever I mention Eva, she always responds with "Oh, you mean, Gundam? Cause they're totally the same thing, right?" Last night I thought I'd show her episode 22. She was bored, and then told me that it wasn't disturbing or messed up enough.

It sounds like your friend doesn't like mecha in general. Razz I mean, I can't think of any mecha that I've found disturbing, really (granted I don't have the depth of knowledge of the genre that many people do, but it doesn't seem like a suitable descriptor). Anyway, I loved NGE and only saw it in 2005.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5