• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Unfathomable Horrors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about what they're planning to do with Lufia. I mean, sure, they could always pull out something remotely similar, and make me happy. I more expect to get something a little disappointing, but my fan spirit for Lufia 2 will drive me to buy it and give it a chance none-the-less. I almost wish Squ-enix would buy the title rights, and do an enhanced port like CT... but one will do what they want with the property they own, sadly.
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The Lufia 2 remake is odd, but has me interested. Not sure how I feel about the changes though.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing nothing but the New Tales of Symphonia game that was released one and a half weeks ago... I can't help feel it should have more advertisement. It's not even mentioned on Nintendo's website that I could find.
khaos1019

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:39 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
Shmup fans, don't forget to grab Mushihime-sama Futari for the 360. It's an import, but region free. If sales preform well enough (I'm still not sure how they'll figure this out other than high sales), then we can expect to see more Cave's 360 games as import-friendly titles.

Pre-ordered it back in September when they announced it region-free. Just got an e-mail today that it shipped! Can't wait!
Son-kun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
No More Heroes for the X360? Looks like I'll only be purchasing NMH2 on the Wii then. I'll wait for the 360 version of the first one when it comes out.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:47 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
The Lufia 2 remake definitely intrigues me, though how Maxim went from a knight clad in full plate mail to a leather-wearing dude is beyond me.

I'd ask the same question myself, sure, but whatever happens to explain that particular fashion sense (or not) probably won't stop me from checking out the remake. On a purely personal (read: egoistical) level I'd prefer to see an improved 2-D port rather than a conversion to 3-D action RPG though. I imagine increased sales are supposed to justify it.

I agree and after reading that asked that question myself. How exactly does Maxim (the hero warrior) turn from a knight into a leather wearing smirking warrior? Not to forget he looks almost like Leon from Final Fantasy 8?

Also the female mage doesn't exactly look a mage in the new "revamped" version. More like a martial artist/and maybe partially a mage? Admintingly, the newer version does like slightly better, but doesn't really make her look like a mage though.

I enjoyed almost every Lufia game I played (which is all of them except this one). I've been playing video games for fifteen years, so playing 90's games is usually quite enjoyable.

But the more I look at Sakura Wars, the more I look forward to playing this game. Graphics looks nice, there is English audio and best of all, most of the female cast look older than 18.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Gemini is also quick to violently remind Shinjiro that she's not such the girl. Then again, I have a hard time imagining Shinjiro being such the guy, since Sakura Wars games rarely push a PG rating in terms of romance.

This part was just waiting to be fixed by me. Razz
toddc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Also the female mage doesn't exactly look a mage in the new "revamped" version. More like a martial artist/and maybe partially a mage? Admintingly, the newer version does like slightly better, but doesn't really make her look like a mage though.

I actually hope she's not a standard mage in the remake. The original Lufia 2 makes a point of introducing Selan as a powerful warrior in a story scene, but when she joins your party, she's really just a magic-user.

Also, here's footage of the new Super Street Fighter IV cast. I don't mind Adon now, because he sounds and kinda looks like the Monarch from Venture Bros.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:24 am Reply with quote
Hey everyone, been a while since I've been on.

Well now, a Lufia remake? That sounds more kickass than ever. Especially considering how the series went into sleeping a few years ago. This is definitely up my alley. Maxim's new look is unique, to say the least.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:25 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
We recently started purchasing XB360 games prior to a request from a faculty teaching a course study in game development. This is due to the fact that despite some games still being developed outside the XBOX is a US made system. So you have Europe and "indie" developers as well. Since the higher ups don't know much about video games, this is where I come in as well as students and instructors. The goal was to acquire at least 40 titles to start off the semester. Unfortunately, recommendations we received was less than 20. This included games that wouldn't be available until 2010. So we needed more. So I added to that list what I could acquire and of those titles I wanted 'No More Heroes' to be one we should get. But at the time it was exclusive to Wii. So unless there is a faculty member who requests and has a reason why Wii titles are good for a course study then the library won't invest in them. Same for the PS3.

I don't understand...So the basis that the XBox 360 is being chosen is because it's American and would thus be the most diverse? There are plenty of games from every region being made for the Wii and PS3 as well. Also, are games (and possibly other applications) for the Xbox Live Arcade included?

I would've imagined the Wii to have the most diverse library among the three competing home systems right now. It has a smaller amount of traditional stuff, but the fact that Nintendo markets to an audience very different from the other two while still paying attention to the regular gaming crowd would mean you can have the largest amount of examples. Though I take it that few people in your class are interested in making stuff like Wii Music.
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The Lufia series is once again recognized for the coolness that it is? Sakura Wars finally comes to the US? The only reason I had to buy a Wii is no longer console exclusive? What temperature is it in Hell right now?

toddc wrote:
I actually hope she's not a standard mage in the remake. The original Lufia 2 makes a point of introducing Selan as a powerful warrior in a story scene, but when she joins your party, she's really just a magic-user.

Well, if we really want to go into technicalities and nerdspeak; Selan's more of a 'battlemage' type, since she can use some of the really good elemental swords like the Blaze and Fry Blades. I do like her new art design though, Maxim however... Eh... Doesn't look like hero material.
I just hope they do the Ancient Dungeon justice, as I sunk countless COUNTLESS hours into that, trying to get all those stupid Iris treasures.

GATSU wrote:
I'm still waiting for SQ'ENIX USA to make an official announcement on that Saga remake, so good luck on your wishes, too, buddy.

I hope we're on the same page and hoping for a Romancing SaGa remake? I'm still waiting for them to actually DO something with Seiken Densetsu 3... A little official english port for Romancing and SD3 would be nice.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Also, here's footage of the new Super Street Fighter IV cast. I don't mind Adon now, because he sounds and kinda looks like the Monarch from Venture Bros.

Its no longer the 90's, so its possible that Selan might be a stronger than a standard mage. No way of telling untill you play the game though.

But the newer image of Maxiam and Selan are well drawn, but don't make much sense. Well its been eight plus years since I played any Lufia game, so its great there is a new Lufia game though.
sfried

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
I've been playing nothing but the New Tales of Symphonia game that was released one and a half weeks ago... I can't help feel it should have more advertisement. It's not even mentioned on Nintendo's website that I could find.
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I would've imagined the Wii to have the most diverse library among the three competing home systems right now. It has a smaller amount of traditional stuff, but the fact that Nintendo markets to an audience very different from the other two while still paying attention to the regular gaming crowd would mean you can have the largest amount of examples. Though I take it that few people in your class are interested in making stuff like Wii Music.
This. People don't realize there is an actual sizable amount of great Wii games because if there's one thing Nintendo currently lacks at, it's aggressive advertising for their core titles, therefore the general public would assume that the system has mostly so-called "casual games" and nothing else.

I'd like to see how NOA handles their marketing for Sin & Punishment 2. Perhaps they should hire Production I.G. or some studio to do small animated promotions. That should grab some attention...

As with regards to Lufia, a number of fans are disappointed, but on the other hand some optimists call that they maybe aiming for a Y's clone of sorts. Who knows.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
I must be the only one who thought the "such the guy" stuff back in August was hilarious... Sad
Flik

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:

You must live in Europe right? Because I definitely haven't heard of anything 'new' for Tales of Symphonia. The reason I ask if you're from Europe, is because they finally got a release of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Knight of Ratatosk?) on November 13, 2009, and that has to be what you are referring to.

If that is the case, then that game has been out for probably a year in the states (longer in Japan obviously) and that's why you couldn't find any marketing for it.

But enjoy the game, if you liked ToS you'll really love the sequel. Even if it's just a sequel Tales, it's still one of my favorites.

And prepare to hear, "Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality" a lot Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3