• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press to Adapt von Ziegesar's Gossip Girl Novels

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, Peach Girl already did it, so why not?

I haven't actually seen Peach Girl, so apologies if I'm way off base.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Been there, done that.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
My question is what's leaving Yen Plus in order to make room for the new addition?
labantnet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I'll only accept it if something like One Fine Day or Pig Bride leaves. Is there really a market for this OEL anyways? The people that watch the craptacular show are more likely to be the type of people who make fun of others for reading Manga. Doesn't make sense to me, but I could be wrong.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:18 pm Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
I'll only accept it if something like One Fine Day or Pig Bride leaves.

One Fine Day & Pig Bride are staying. At least through the January issue, that's for sure. You can see them on the side of the cover alongside the Gossip Girl picture. I think all the current non-manga titles are on that cover which means the departing series is from the manga side. Unless YP is adding the new series without removing any of the old ones. Which seems unlikely to me.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I've heard about Bring It On before, the art for this series seems very different from it though. Why does Barbie come to mind when I look at the cover?
The Risky Penguin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
labantnet wrote:
I'll only accept it if something like One Fine Day or Pig Bride leaves.

One Fine Day & Pig Bride are staying. At least through the January issue, that's for sure. You can see them on the side of the cover alongside the Gossip Girl picture. I think all the current non-manga titles are on that cover which means the departing series is from the manga side. Unless YP is adding the new series without removing any of the old ones. Which seems unlikely to me.

I don't think anything is leaving. If you read the last couple of issues, they have a lot of previews of manga and stories. There will be less of that for this...ugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
are they trying to apeal to the mainstream teenage crowd? first Twillight and now this?
edit- I changed it to mainstream.

Last edited by magicalgirlj on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
and so are you implying that teenagers who read manga aren't normal? I'm not a teenager anymore so I'm not going to take offense to that, but when I was a teenager reading manga I never thought of myself as not normal, I just saw myself as someone with wider horizons. That aside, I'm not sure the the shallow close-minded people who watch gossip girl are itching to buy a yen plus subscription.
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
The Risky Penguin wrote:
I don't think anything is leaving. If you read the last couple of issues, they have a lot of previews of manga and stories. There will be less of that for this...ugh.

I like the previews and whatnots. But if it means giving up a current series or giving up the previews to gain page space, then I'll give up the previews. (Whether I want to give up anything for the new title's page space, I'll decide after I read the new title. I try not to judge a series until I give it at least one look-see.)

Edit: Kurt Hassler posted on the YP blog that no titles will be leaving the magazine.

Kurt Hassler:
Quote:
Nothing is coming out of the magazine. Gossip Girl is simply being introduced as a new monthly feature.
Source
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Ehhhh, I like how Yen Press is making an effort to make more OEL manga, but since they all have Korean artists wouldn't that make them more of a manhwa than an OEL? Also wish that they were going after 100% original titles more, guess that's why I've been into so many web comics lately, I want something where I don't know what's happening next!
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
and so are you implying that teenagers who read manga aren't normal? I'm not a teenager anymore so I'm not going to take offense to that, but when I was a teenager reading manga I never thought of myself as not normal, I just saw myself as someone with wider horizons. That aside, I'm not sure the the shallow close-minded people who watch gossip girl are itching to buy a yen plus subscription.

I'm not saying that, Just the target audiance probally doesent like anime or manga.
I'm sorry, please dont hate me. I am also not a teenager anymore. I just dont want to use sterostypes.

Last edited by magicalgirlj on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I dont care for much of the CW shows but I'm glad that some one is trying to expand the market.

It could just be that many amerian manga style artists (do we get that many from other english speaking countries?) dont want to work for hire and rather wait for original stuff. After all its not like yen doesnt publish oneshot originals to test things out, you just might not be seeing whats under the works.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The only reason why I support Yen Press is because they're actually making an effort to hire Korean artists. So technically it is real manwha, instead of that American-produced garbage that Tokyopop pumped out.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Err. Forgive me, but I think you mean James Patterson's Maximum Ride. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Oh, Yen. I love you for doing these sorts of things, even if I don't know the series beforehand.

As a completely unrelated final comment: How I want you to announce acquisition of the Baccano! novels. Exclamation Question I would about pass out from sheer glee. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2