• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Japanese & Legalese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I had typed a "What I'm Thankful For" response but as I scroll down in the topic review section it seems like this has turned in a Fansubs vs Pro Translator battle between a handful of people. Great job on taking the thread ridiculously off-topic guys.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I had typed a "What I'm Thankful For" response but as I scroll down in the topic review section it seems like this has turned in a Fansubs vs Pro Translator battle between a handful of people. Great job on taking the thread ridiculously off-topic guys.

Well, you can just send in your response to Brian and we'll read it next week.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Being Japanese is more than just a setting; it's also writing, characters, dialog, and execution.

Rather than just "generally japanese" I think these things are much more defined by the individual effort of a certain writer and to a degree the team surrounding that particular series.

Well, you have to keep in mind who you're talking to. This is TitanXL who sees being a God as second to being Japanese or related to Japan and all else in the world is no better than a flea. How about you start actually making points Titan instead of your tired old "it's Japanese and that's all that matters" soapbox. It's frankly rather sad at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:49 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
PingSoni wrote:
, I'd prefer to watch this anime with no subtitles, but that is not an option. (Is there some licensing reason why having the Japanese voice track without subtitles is rarely an option?)

Its typically a requirement by the original Japanese companies to avoid reverse importing.

You got me wondering about my R4 stuff. I checked out my most recent DVD releases from the three Australian distributors:

Madman - Mardock Scramble First Compression - no option in the menus but can be done through my player.

Siren Visual - Usagi Drop - ditto.

Hanabee - Toradora! - full choice in the menus

I have three anime BDs and all have full language / subtitle freedom.

From experience, with most Madman stuff you can choose the Japanese dub without subtitles.

I guess the Japanese aren't concerned about reverse importing from R4.

OR

You haven't tried using your player to turn of the subtitles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You haven't tried using your player to turn of the subtitles.

No, locked subtitles are a real thing in North America. Several Funimation and NISA releases have it where you can neither select just Japanese audio or toggle the subs on/off while watching. It's the punishment we get for daring to be in the same BD region as Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
PingSoni wrote:
In regards to localization problems, the worst experience I have had is the Viz release of the Honey and Clover anime. The subtitles use first names when the Japanese voice track is using family names, and even sometimes gets the names totally wrong. This makes the anime almost unwatchable for me. (I read the manga first, in the late and sorely missed Shojo Beat magazine.)

Because I know the story so well, and have some knowledge of Japanese, I'd prefer to watch this anime with no subtitles, but that is not an option. (Is there some licensing reason why having the Japanese voice track without subtitles is rarely an option?)

Oh god yes. I love Honey & Clover and the subtitles depress me so much.

The Saiunkoku subs also did something weird with the names using the original Chinese translation of the names instead of the names used in the series.

Anyways I am more tolerant of dubs being more adaptive (like changing references) then I am about subs. Subs should be as close to the original as possible. Obviously no translation can be perfect but I want their best effort in capturing the original.
casualfan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Bleach, Naruto, and Dragon Ball have one thing that is universally appealing: fighting! That's why they are popular, not because they're Japanese.And yes, they do have some good storytelling but i don't think that's distinctively Japanese. I have a degree in Asian Studies and have actually been to Japan, so I can spot the "Japaneseness" in anime. But husband does not have this kind of education but he likes Bleach, whereas I initially didn't care too much for it. I'm sure such is the case for many fans of popular anime; it's not so much the Japanese aspects of anime, but the fact that the shows have something that appeals to them that everyone can comprehend. Anyway, the amount of "Japanese" in an anime is not what makes it good or appealing.

Fighting can't be the only reason why those shows are popular. Majority of anime feature fighting and yet few become as popular. There are also the shounen elements and tropes that fuel these series that somehow appeal to mainstream audience. I think these are what they meant as "japanese" because only Japanese would typically use them.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Professional subs? You mean like the official, professional, paid for, Hulu subtitles for Digimon?

Just because they're professional doesn't make them good. It just makes them 'official', which doesn't correlate to quality in any way.

The same goes for the English to Japanese translation. You're going to complain about that too? Don't tell me the Japanese infamous mistranslation of "Remember, no Russian" to "Kill them, the Russian" in Modern Warfare 2 get a free pass from you. There will be mistranslation and mishap on any localization, it goes both way. There's no exception, the same applies to translating to Japanese language.

Regrading anime being too Japanese and having "universal appeal", does it really matter. I do think IMO, anime that are too Japanese can maybe be appealing to foreign audiences because of it's exoticness. I will agree there are anime that are too Japanese that foreign audience may not understand like if Shin-Chan was release in subtitle instead of a spoof dub, it'll turn off some people in US because of too many references to Japanese pop culture that American anime fans may not be familiar with.
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
rinmackie wrote:
Bleach, Naruto, and Dragon Ball have one thing that is universally appealing: fighting! That's why they are popular, not because they're Japanese.And yes, they do have some good storytelling but i don't think that's distinctively Japanese. I have a degree in Asian Studies and have actually been to Japan, so I can spot the "Japaneseness" in anime. But husband does not have this kind of education but he likes Bleach, whereas I initially didn't care too much for it. I'm sure such is the case for many fans of popular anime; it's not so much the Japanese aspects of anime, but the fact that the shows have something that appeals to them that everyone can comprehend. Anyway, the amount of "Japanese" in an anime is not what makes it good or appealing.

Fighting can't be the only reason why those shows are popular. Majority of anime feature fighting and yet few become as popular. There are also the shounen elements and tropes that fuel these series that somehow appeal to mainstream audience. I think these are what they meant as "japanese" because only Japanese would typically use them.

I guess the Japanese are the only ones able to approach that level of storytelling style. Just compare One Piece to Avatar. You can easily spot Avatar as the poorman's imitation of a shonen anime. Most people aren't dumb, they can tell when its actually the real deal and when it's just a fake. Laughing
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:19 pm Reply with quote
It's not that we can't write stories like the Japanese, it's just that there's still that mentality that comics/ animation are "just for kids". People also believe that's always been the case but that's not true. Way back in the day, comics and animation in the West were on par with other forms of storytelling but, gradually over time, due to censorship, they were dismissed as "kid's stuff". So, at least until recently, American comics and animation have become stunted whereas, Japan has never had the extreme censorship issues that we have had in the past.

Plus, parental fears about children's exposure to entertainment seems to have increased over the years. For instance, some of the older Disney films have been deemed too scary for kids today. And when some of the old Sesame Street episodes were released on dvd, they came with a warning that some parts may not be appropriate for children! So I think a large part of the problem is the lingering "animation ghetto", not the inability to write good stories. Though considering the state of today's American entertainment scene, I sometimes wonder.

Anyway, "shonen jump" type stories are not really that unique to Japan. It's just that America is way more skittish nowadays when it comes to children's entertainment but that has not always been the case. Take a look back at some older children's literature and you'll see what I mean.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
The same goes for the English to Japanese translation. You're going to complain about that too? Don't tell me the Japanese infamous mistranslation of "Remember, no Russian" to "Kill them, the Russian" in Modern Warfare 2 get a free pass from you. There will be mistranslation and mishap on any localization, it goes both way. There's no exception, the same applies to translating to Japanese language.

Uh, we were talking about official translations not automatically being good, not some Japan VS America translation thing. The fact you listed an official translation that flubbed something kind of just falls in line with the original statement of 'official doesn't always mean good'

Quote:
Regrading anime being too Japanese and having "universal appeal", does it really matter. I do think IMO, anime that are too Japanese can maybe be appealing to foreign audiences because of it's exoticness. I will agree there are anime that are too Japanese that foreign audience may not understand like if Shin-Chan was release in subtitle instead of a spoof dub, it'll turn off some people in US because of too many references to Japanese pop culture that American anime fans may not be familiar with.

Shin-chan isn't really a pop-culture reliant series. Funimation changed it because it being one of the most popular/loved children's anime in the world wasn't a good enough selling point I suppose. Not to mention pop-culture filled series like Excel Saga got released uncut in the US just fine as far as I'm aware of. Though saying it wouldn't appeal to 'foreign audiences' is misleading, because Shin-chan ran just fine in plenty of countries around the world and is hugely popular. It's really just America that decided to gagdub it. It's pretty much in the same category as Saint Seiya in terms of 'lots of countries adore it and grew up with it around the world except for America'
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
casualfan wrote:
rinmackie wrote:

I guess the Japanese are the only ones able to approach that level of storytelling style. Just compare One Piece to Avatar. You can easily spot Avatar as the poorman's imitation of a shonen anime. Most people aren't dumb, they can tell when its actually the real deal and when it's just a fake. Laughing

The fact that there are people who are as willfully ignorant as you are makes me sad.

How do weeaboos get through life? I must honestly ask this, as devoting your entire existence to worshipping Japan must be quite a strain.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The fact that there are people who are as willfully ignorant as you are makes me sad.

I was under the impression that lostrune was taking the piss out of casualfan.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
'Tis hard to tell on the internet.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Very hard to tell at times.

I'm not even sure I'm right; all I have is a gut feeling (that lostrune's comment was not serious).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5