• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Basquash's Itagaki Writing, Directing Bishōjo Anime Work

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He notes that it has been six or seven years since he wrote for anime, and that writing dialogue for girls is still awkward for him.

I smiled when reading this considering the crap that girls usually say in bishoujo anime. I bet it's hard coming up with that pseudo-poetic texts of submissiveness towards a spineless male lead.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I've officially lost hope for this guy. Half of his directed works have been trash including the ones listed. Basquash was essentially ruined by him despite have a good couple eps here and there <_<
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Shin Itagaki, the former director of Basquash!, Black Cat, and Devil May Cry,

Wow, that's three marks against him in my book right there.

Quote:
He notes that it has been six or seven years since he wrote for anime, and that writing dialogue for girls is still awkward for him.

Well, if Basquash! is any indication, he definitely knows how to write women moaning as they get beat up on by powerful men... But I guess that's all a parody. Of what, I have no idea, but every fan of it tells me it's a parody, so I guess I must be wrong.

Let me know when the art staff behind that series does another show, though. Man was it gorgeous! If only the story and characters had been worthy of it.

Wow, I am in a bitchy mood today... must be the lack of sleep.
Crystal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Geez, why do so many writers seem to emphasize that female characters are FEMALE? They don't emphasize that male characters are MALE. I still find it frustrating that most works don't make characters female unless it's absolutely necessary.

Why not just write them the way they write male characters . . . with interesting personalities, character development, etc. There's more to a good character than just their gender.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1