• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Summer Wars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Those are generalities; I can understand sharing your opinion, but -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- you seem to think it is more convincing than Justin's review -- and also that someone as critical as Justin would somehow miss them.

Miranox wrote:
Oh yeah, archetype and stereotype can be used to mean the same thing. A stereotype is basically a simple archetype that has been used too many times.
Uh, no. Stereotypes are extremely simplified character ideas that rely on frequently hackish shorthand to telegraph their personality to the audience. (This makes me realize why you overuse "cliché" and related terms in your mini-reviews.) It also goes without saying that archetypes have been used again and again since stories as old as Homer's Illiad (and even the Epic of Gilgamesh!).
Miranox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Those are generalities

I'm not sure what you mean by "generalities". Am I being too vague?

Quote:
I can understand sharing your opinion, but -- and correct me if I'm wrong -- you seem to think it is more convincing than Justin's review

No, I do not think my opinion is better than everyone else's. However, I doubt anyone can objectively arrive at the conclusion that this movie is a masterpiece.

Quote:
and also that someone as critical as Justin would somehow miss them.

It doesn't matter how critical he is. Reviews are always subjective which is why experienced critics can have opposing views or go against popular opinion. Whether a review is positive or negative is of little importance. I look for what it is criticizing/praising and why.

Quote:
Stereotypes are extremely simplified character ideas that rely on frequently hackish shorthand to telegraph their personality to the audience. (This makes me realize why you overuse "cliché" and related terms in your mini-reviews.)

"Stereotype" has multiple meanings. I just use one of those I read on wikipedia. Maybe I phrased it wrong but I know very well what it means. "Cliché" is a synonym of "stereotype". I assure you I don't need an English lesson.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:33 am Reply with quote
I don't care what it costs, I'm importing this on Blu-Ray the second it is available. I hadn't heard about it until Justin reviewed it, and I'm so glad that he did because it is now one of my favorites from the past couple of years. Thanks Justin.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Miranox wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "generalities". Am I being too vague?
"Predictable," "cheesy," "generic" -- those don't actually say anything about the work, and can be applied to just about anything.

Quote:
No, I do not think my opinion is better than everyone else's. However, I doubt anyone can objectively arrive at the conclusion that this movie is a masterpiece... It doesn't matter how critical he is. Reviews are always subjective which is why experienced critics can have opposing views or go against popular opinion. Whether a review is positive or negative is of little importance. I look for what it is criticizing/praising and why.
Agreed.

Quote:
"Stereotype" has multiple meanings. I just use one of those I read on wikipedia. Maybe I phrased it wrong but I know very well what it means. "Cliché" is a synonym of "stereotype". I assure you I don't need an English lesson.
Outside of Wikipedia (!), I've never encountered those uses of stereotypes and archetypes. Stereotypes are contextual and, excepting something like parody, always negative. Archetypes have no positive or negative connotation; they merely are, and do not become negative when "overused" -- that's why they're archetypes, because they're so frequently used throughout history!
Twilightmaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Maybe some of the parts of this movie are stereotypical, and maybe some are overused, corny (which usually means you embarassed to admit you like it), or whatever. In my opinion there's no such thing as an original character that's never been used. Story telling has been going on for Thousands of years, and you somehow expect there to be completely original characters every time you see a story in a time where sharing ideas has become so easy and common-place? Stop searching for the 'perfect' movie, and just enjoy things for what they are. This is a fun, family friendly movie, and I think a lot of people could love it, if they'd only let go of their elitist expectations of anime productions.
unicron02

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
Bottom line for me:

I started watching the movie and had no desire throughout the entire piece to look away or get distracted. I was anxious to see each new scene and development, and I felt excited when the climax was taking place.

I don't care how or why a movie happens to be entertaining. If it engages my interest for the entire length of the film then it is, in my opinion, a good movie. End.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:55 am Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:
Mohawk52, I'm not 100% sure something has to be licensed in a region for it to get one off showings or not. Since The Sky Crawlers has been shown a few times and I can't remember hearing news about a UK release being upcoming (Although that's more likely just me not paying attention.)
Manga Ent UK is releasing Sky Crawlers in April 2010.

Justin surely even a one off public showing at a film fest needs at least a one off showing licence, especially if the originating company is not there to show it? Anyway if anything gets a showing it usually gets licenced shortly afterwards so it's only a matter of time. Wink
gridsleep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
Very nice review, movie sounds good. Five minute excerpt is splendid. It seems kind of a cross between Serial Experiments:Lain and Paprika with visuals from GITS:SAC and concept from .hack. And this is more spectacular than them, why, exactly?

What kind of cheeses me is a review done now when the subtitled release may not appear for many months. I want to buy it. It's not available anywhere, except for the manga and the soundtrack. I've looked, believe me. Oh, yeah, there are torrents, but I don't do that for stuff that's available for sale. It's like reviewing the greatest toy ever...that won't be available until Christmas next year. It's a psychic wedgie. Thanks.

PS--the spellchecker in the forum here thinks "manga" should be spelled "mange." In a web site dedicated to manga and anime. Oh, and it thinks "anime" should be "amine." Spectacular.

PPS--I just watched Summer Wars. It's subtitled at [linking to illegal pirated content is not allowed]. It's a really nice film. The best thing is the depth of the characters, even though two hours is a little shy to fully appreciate them, but it is very well done. It has a bit of triteness to it, in a sense that it feels like it's been done before, from the aforementioned anime to movies like Real Genius and War Games and Hackers. But, it's a damn good movie. I'll buy it when it comes out. I feel I'll be watching it again some time.

PPPS--This subtitled online version is linked from [linking to illegal pirated content is not allowed], to which I subscribed for a month for $9.99, so in essence I did not watch this sub for free. Here's hoping Megavideo does the right thing and pays back licensing fee to WB and the Nipponese producers when this gets licensed.

The one thing I can't quite resolve is spoiler[the personality of the A.I. being so aggressive and childishly vindictive. I would expect a program designed to lust after knowledge to be more Vulcan in its sensibility (the Star Trek kind of Vulcan.) I suppose I would have written the in-game story to appear a bit more like Hikaru no Go rather than like the Matrix.]
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I really wasn't that big on The Girl Who Leapt Time like most anime fans but I'm always excited when any new anime film comes out that isn't based on an anime TV series. So Summer Wars is definitely something I'm looking forward to.
raun_down

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
No doubt the artworks and animations are top notch, however thats not how you rate a show do you?

Lamest plot and story I have ever seen, but if you're into shows like Yugioh, Digemon or Pokemon this movie maybe for you. Even the .hack//Sign series did better than this movie.

I'd rate it 2 out of 5, thats all it entertained me. I cant get over with the silly and exaggerated plot given the background of the story is not in the world of fantasies or the futures.
Gigibi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:10 am Reply with quote
I want to love this movie but I just can't. Sure its fairly original but I could care less about that; you could make the most clinche plot in the universe and I will still like it if the plot is entertaining (those plots became clinche for a reason, because they work). Unfortunately, this movie wasn't too entertaining. Its mediocre and watchable, in that I wasn't bored, but it was like that throughout, there were no ups and it just kinda stood there. Artwork is mediocre too. Almost all of the characters personalities are pretty bland. I don't watch many anime movies, since I tend to not like them (guess not enough time to develop characters and plot and tries to appeal to a wider audience, which usually leads to nothing standing out) but the last anime movie that I considered good was "The Place Promised in Our Early Days," at least it had an ending that made me go WTF. Can't bring myself to finish "5 Centimeters per Second" yet, seems too depressing. Not really a big fan of Miyazako but "Castle in the Sky" was pretty good, I just really like Pazu, he's an energetic kid.

Overall 3/5

Planning to see "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time." Tell me its a lot more entertaining than this. Depth, drama, and characters I actually care about. Could care less about technicalities (like little plot holes).
TC-man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Gigibi wrote:
I want to love this movie but I just can't. Sure its fairly original but I could care less about that; you could make the most clinche plot in the universe and I will still like it if the plot is entertaining (those plots became clinche for a reason, because they work). Unfortunately, this movie wasn't too entertaining. Its mediocre and watchable, in that I wasn't bored, but it was like that throughout, there were no ups and it just kinda stood there. Artwork is mediocre too. Almost all of the characters personalities are pretty bland. I don't watch many anime movies, since I tend to not like them (guess not enough time to develop characters and plot and tries to appeal to a wider audience, which usually leads to nothing standing out) but the last anime movie that I considered good was "The Place Promised in Our Early Days," at least it had an ending that made me go WTF. Can't bring myself to finish "5 Centimeters per Second" yet, seems too depressing. Not really a big fan of Miyazako but "Castle in the Sky" was pretty good, I just really like Pazu, he's an energetic kid.

Overall 3/5

Planning to see "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time." Tell me its a lot more entertaining than this. Depth, drama, and characters I actually care about. Could care less about technicalities (like little plot holes).

Well, I have watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time twice, I think it's definitely better than Summer Wars in terms of pacing, storytelling, choice of locations/background and character design.

As for 5 Centimeters per Second, for me the movie feels kind of "abtract" it's almost an "artwork" rather than a normal anime movie, but it looks really beautiful.
artemiy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Review sells, but I'm not entirely support all of it. It is true
me is nearly perfect, but its not good enough to recieve all those awards. Anime is so ingulfed in smallest details, it diverges from main plotlines. For some reason I have a feeling that process is less valued than outcome or initiation of the thesis.

This way in matter of days it is believed that heroism leads to instant love, people drastically change in heart, etc.

This observation is subtle, although caused by packing anime with so much themes, lucrative to the anime viewers, thus making fans think there is no originality in it (but thruthfuly, originality is a really rare animal these days)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:12 am Reply with quote
THANK GOD someone besides me realized that this movie was way too similar to the Digimon movie, specifically "Our War Game". Everything was relatable and I knew something was up. Then again, it didn't occure to me that SW and OWG was made by the same person Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
all this talk about Hosoda and no mention of Katsuyoshi Nakaratsu? im mean Hosoda may be the director but isnt Nakaratsu the animator? the one that makes the magic happen? check his encyclopedia entry!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6