• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vexille, Kanon, Spice & Wolf Posted in English Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seljuk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I'm all for changing pronunciation to make it sound natural for English speakers and to not confuse those who aren't weabo fanboys dedicated to some arbitrary "pureness" in anime.

I don't hear any complaints about all the horrendous Engrish in anime ... I mean, have you guys listened to the ending song to Spice and Wolf? Wink

Compare the two dubs directly and tell me again they don't pronounce it differently.

Yeah....uhhh...a little overblown. I already know the l/r interchangeability, but unlike with your example, there is no good English counterpart, or anything even close. I don't think anyone would be confused over it, I mean, in the end, it IS just a name. However, as a person who already saw the series in whole, it is really jarring- to the point of distraction- for me to hear 'Holo' instead of 'Horo'. I guess that makes me a purist, but I know I'm not the only one on this issue at least.

Oh, also: I could never be mad at that ending. Ever. Smile
Seeben appuhs on deh witchee's tehree!
Katane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
I seen the first episode of Spice and Wolf on Demand and it was decent, Vexille's a good movie so far and when I get a chance I'll check Kanon. And speaking of Funi, if their's a funi rep somewhere here what's going on with the on Demand? I'm still waiting of Fruits Basket 16 to be updated as well as El Cazador 7 8 10 11 and 12.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
Kanon, Spice and Wolf and Higurashi...

You guys have three titles that you're going to get started on, understand? Three very niche but great titles with the first few episodes available, FOR FREE.

Good to see the american industry making up for this god awful fall season of anime with online broadcastings of ones from about a year or two ago.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Jadress wrote:
Weren't they told by the Japanese to make it "Holo?" I like "Horo" better as well, but I somehow recall that name not being Funi's fault.

Sure, in spelling. I don't think the Japanese told Funimation to pronounce it differently than they themselves did.
"No, don't pronounce the names as we have. Use this botched pronunciation instead."
I highly doubt it.

The Japanese pronounce it the same whether it is "Horo" or "Holo" as there is no distinction. If in English it is spelt Holo then in English it is pronounced Holo also - you wouldn't complain about an English dub "botching" a pronunciation if they call a character Smith while the Japanese dub calls him Sumisu (on the other hand, if the licensor insisted that is was Sumisu then you'd still be blaming the poor translators stuck in the middle.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Great! I will be looking forward to the few subs they made...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I think Holo flows off the tongue worse because there are two ways to pronounce it. Ho low and hollow. As for Horo, yes it sounds like Whore-o, that is all. The Japanese probably picked the "L" in the name because they still confuse R's and L's, it is literally an interchangable letter to them, but that shouldn't mean the writing in English should be. There's hundreds of examples of the only problem in English in a Japanese show being a mixed up L or R, even this year. They haven't learned, they never will. They probably picked the L because it looks cooler or something.
Actually if you watch season 2 even the japanese studio spelled it as "Holo" on one of the documents in the anime. Holo is the one and only correct spelling.

Edit: after checking out the dub i have to say, Lawrence sounds terrible and really fake. Holo isnt too bad tho but still doesnt sound right to me

Also kanon 2006 is awesome, just re-watched it for the 3rd time in sept.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I know they spelled HOLO on that document. But you failed to see my point that the Japanese are wholly incompetant in the comprehension of the letters L and R being distinct and separate sounds. And that the choice to use the L was probably more of a stylistic choice than one founded in linguistics. It might be the "Word of God", but in this case it doesn't mean as much when the people in charge probably have absolutely no clue on the matter.

A good example is the logo for Macross Frontier. The "r' in Frontier is done in a way that it could either be a highly stylized "r" or a slanted "l". What if they came out and said that it was definitely an "l", should we just accept it? Specifically in the case of Engrish, I do not trust the Japanese word on the matter.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, "Frontier" is definitely an English word.

I don't recall "Horo" meaning anything in English or any other language for that matter. It's just a name.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
For all those who think the Japanese could NEVER EVER insist on an obviously wrong translation...

BWAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
For all those who think the Japanese could NEVER EVER insist on an obviously wrong translation...

BWAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!

Except that "Holo" is not an "obviously wrong translation" ... because it's just a name that means nothing. So it doesn't matter. And Holo sure sounds better than "Whore-o" ...
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I disagree, but that's a matter of opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2