• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball's Toriyama, DNA²'s Katsura to Launch Jiya Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:18 am Reply with quote
Weird :] Well I hope it goes well for them.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
Awesome, something new from Toriyama. What was his thing from last year?
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Awesome, something new from Toriyama. What was his thing from last year?

Toriyama and Katsura co-produced Sachie-chan Guu!! last year as a one-shot in Jump Square. I wish Viz Media would license Toriyama's other works (Kajika, Neko Majin) soon. Hopefully, this mini-series is just a test for a longer running series (the last decent length work Toriyama did was Dragon Ball). Also, it was never stated in the article that Masakazu Katsura produced the 15 volume I"S series which was later turned into 2 OVA series. Katsura is also currently working on Zetman which currently has 12 (?) volumes released. I"s is published in North America by Viz Media. Dragon Ball is licensed and distributed by Viz Media. Dark Horse released all 3 volumes of Shadow Lady, Katsura's Wingman (13 volumes and published between 1983 and 1985) received a 47 episode anime adaptation by Toei Animation. Toriyama is also known for the 18 volume Dr. Slump series which received a 243 episode anime adapatation as well as a 74 episode anime adaptation several years later, both anime series were produced by Toei Animation Just fun tidbits... correct me if I'm wrong.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

Toriyama and Katsura co-produced Sachie-chan Guu!! last year as a one-shot in Jump Square

Ah, thanks, I was wondering what the title was. Just read it, looks like Jiya is a direct spinoff of that one.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
It saddens me when Katsura is mentioned and no one points out that he did the character designs for Iria: Zeiram the Animation... especially when it looks like he's doing the artwork end of it.

Glad to see DNA^2 get name-checked though.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:22 pm Reply with quote
In before "lol r they stil on namek"
Son-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
So this is another collaboration where Toriyama pens the story and Katsura does the artwork? I'm surprised there weren't any scanlations for their prior collaboration, but it looks like this one will get good chance of having one or Viz possibly picking it up sometime in the future. They need get Kajika, the Neko Majin Kanzenban, and Toriyama's One Shot Collections published as well.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
As a huge fan of both authors (seriously, they're #2 and #3 on my favorites list, right after Nobuhiro Watsuki), I'm really excited for this one. Here's to hoping it's as bizarre and amusing as Sachie-chan Guu!! was. Cheers! *guzzles Mtn. Dew*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1