• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-12-02

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
It's the "Dog of Flanders" recast with a hedgehog instead of a dog and a boy who wants to make shoes instead of paintings. Poor Grandfather though... His part didn't change; he still has to die. Hehe. Wink
Eh, the old mentor characters always die, kids these days are genre-savvy enough to see it coming.

I think I detect a parallel to the "Little Match Girl" story alongside the references to some anime I know of but haven't seen. But competing in various trivia contests at anime conventions (like the Otakon '09 GameShow) teaches me that simply knowing of certain anime can be enough to own the competition.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
I don't know. After all, every one of those animes are based in actual European novels (like Oliver Twist).
Kilat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote
gaah! sad stories remind me of grave of the fireflies. i didn't watch it before reading the plot on wikipedia, but doing only that made me bawl. well, i was depressed at that moment to begin with, but it truly is madly saddening.
yoshi1277

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
Kilat wrote:
gaah! sad stories remind me of grave of the fireflies. i didn't watch it before reading the plot on wikipedia, but doing only that made me bawl. well, i was depressed at that moment to begin with, but it truly is madly saddening.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought of Grave of the Fireflies when I saw this weeks Nina. Of course, the entire thing was oddly familiar. Got the DVD in the mail from Netflix, was extremely happy before hand, and extremely depressed afterward.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:04 am Reply with quote
I was reminded of "Grave of the Fireflies" while reading this, even though there's no specific reference. I should never have watched it twice.

Anybody who's seen the classic live-action Heidi (which this reminded me of) or Old Yeller will know that it wasn't just anime that was doing this stuff. Although by the 80s most of the western children's stories had moved away from it.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
I'm sure we all have seen a few shows that made us shed tears (for example, I just now finished watching episode 9 of Clannad; I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a lot at what happened).

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Quark

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:44 am Reply with quote
That's awesome. The same thing happened to my boyfriend when I demanded he get the Anne of Green Gables anime for me - he ended up totally hooked on it. Hooked enough that he was shedding manly tears over the 'big event' of the story.
I probably should have warned him, since the book made me cry buckets too, and the anime was a VERY faithful adapatation. It beat the pants off the Canadian cartoon, which was a huge stinking dung heap. Canada, you've failed Anne.
ZeroGee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
Hedgehog whipping makes me cry too. Crying or Very sad
Peries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
That sums up my childhood cartoons right there.

Remi Crying or Very sad
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:45 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I just now finished watching episode 9 of Clannad; I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a lot at what happened).

I had the particular misfortune of watching that episode of Clannad and the last episode of Kino's Journey within the same hour. I immediately decided to take a nap because I was too depressed to do anything else.

Anyway, funny strip this week. Smile
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that's about right when you watch those shows. They'll have you sitting in a pool of tears.

You gotta love it.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Gotta love old stuff. Back when stuff was good, not OK at best. And love the last panel

kgw wrote:
Ugh, I still remember those shows. The dog of Flanders was too much for me. But kids nowadays don't know what real anime is... (keeps on grumbling...)

Yes, because everything that came out back then was pure gold and nothing of value has emerged from recent decades.

Anyway, to stay on topic, this comic was highly amusing. I felt a little bad for laughing, though. Razz
sinisterorion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
yoshi1277 wrote:
Kilat wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought of Grave of the Fireflies when I saw this weeks Nina. Of course, the entire thing was oddly familiar. Got the DVD in the mail from Netflix, was extremely happy before hand, and extremely depressed afterward.

grave of the fireflies came to mind for me also, man that was depressing.... uggh
alpha_beta_angel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ah the eighties, where kids were allowed to watch shows where their favourite characters die.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Their pets always have to suffer too. Nothing but bad things happened to Remi, but the little guy was always positive. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4