• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Do the Mario

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
Not a lot of interesting games this X Button. Not like I could play or get new games where I am now though.

As far as Falcom goes, I own and completed the third Legend of Heroes game (Song of the Ocean), but I am so annoyed with the crappy steps they took to localize it. All three games have the worst grammar I've ever seen in a modern-day RPG.

I'd always wanted to see the Y's anime, but as usual I never got around to it. Maybe I can still hunt down a copy of the OVA somewhere. I only ever played one of the games, and I think it was the first one.

Dragon Slayer, yeah, that trailer was on the FF Legend of the Crystals VHS I still own. I thought it was cool at the time, but now that I look at it years later, it seems so stupid to put hard rock in to emphasize action, violence and gore. We Americans were so typical then.

Popful Mail definitely needed an anime series and one that needed to be dubbed too! It had so much charm back in its hayday. I don't care even if it could only be 5 or 6 episodes, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

On an ending note, I really do want to play the New Super Mario Bros. Wii game. I wish I had had the chance to play a little of it before getting sent out overseas to Korea to work. Oh well, I guess next year then.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:59 am Reply with quote
Dragon Slayer is a recently re-discovered anime for me... for awhile I've had a vague recollection of some one-shot video that resulted in 'are you serious?!' being a running gag amongst me and my friends briefly. For whatever reason, a few weeks back I suddenly remembered it was this show and the main character's very abrupt introduction ("And you can call me SIRIUS!") that sparked the line. Now that I know there's no DVD, I'll have to track it down for my VHS collection. Very Happy

I'd still like to track down Popful Mail, too- I've wanted that for years. Alas, I got my Sega CD well after the good games for it got expensive. Someday...

GATSU wrote:
vt: Man, you want a pain in the ass WD game, try Alundra for the PS1.

Agreed. I actually sold that one after 1 brief maze, 1 boss fight, and half a puzzle (something about moving a lighting ball through a cave) because it was so frickin' frustrating I realized I wasn't having any fun.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:27 am Reply with quote
I was thrilled to see a good review of the Wii's new Super Mario World as I just bought it last night as a gift for my children (ME) for Christmas. I had so much fun reminiscing everytime I saw the commercials for it of the game I enjoyed so much way back when, I was compelled to get it. I can't wait to play it now!
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Shuichi wrote:
No, it's not. It has the ESRB logo.

Right, that and it was sent to SquareEnix's entire press mailing list earlier today as the NA box art.

I guess it's the same as Europe then, since the only news I had seen prior was this: http://kotaku.com/5416088/final-fantasy-xiii-box-art-now-with-more-xbox-360 I was hoping that it would be different over here, since Europe had more followed more the Japanese cover scheme.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Well, I put 'FFXIII' on the list. I just hope the story pans out well.

As for the new 'Mario' Wii game, looks like a lot of fun. It might be the only reason I pick up a Wii. I've played 'Mario' games but I'm not quite a 'Mario' fanatic. I have a 8 year old niece so that's the only reason I'd consider purchasing the whole package. Plus, there VC library is the only thing worth buying. Unfortunately there isn't much that I've been interested in.

Ah 'Popfulmail'. Now there's a fun game.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
khaos1019 wrote:
Quote:
the amazing Cave shooter ESPgaluda II Black Label will arrive on the Japanese Xbox 360 in February. No one's said if it'll be region-free like Cave's recent Mushime-sama Futari, but I really hope it is.

I really hope so, too!

Has anyone from a country running PAL systems played this game? Or knows whether the game can and will work in Europe as well? (Mushime-sama, that is, not ESP Galuda II. Although if the latter ends up region free as well, I'd be more than happy to get it.)
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Has anyone from a country running PAL systems played this game? Or knows whether the game can and will work in Europe as well? (Mushime-sama, that is, not ESP Galuda II. Although if the latter ends up region free as well, I'd be more than happy to get it.)

I haven't personally played it yet (pricey...), but a lot of gamers on other forums as well as sites like Play-Asia report that it is indeed region free and should work just fine on PAL consoles.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Emerje: I'm gonna disagree and say Majora's Mask should also be up there.

Eh, I played it and Ocarina of time and just couldn't get into them. Came close, but never did finish Wind Waker either. Might be a 3D thing, considering my two favorite Zelda games are 2D, but I did finish Twilight Princess for what it's worth.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Eww...that cover is so bland. Oh well, the game inside will still be purty as hell.

I can't wait for No More Heroes 2. The first is still one of the best Wii games. Another one of the best Wii games is the New Super Mario Bros.! It has the same feeling as old school Mario, but it also feels new and fresh. Every second of it is fun.
Case

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Todd wrote:
And why is the fourth character just another Toad instead of Princess Peach...

That would be because...

Todd wrote:
New Super Mario Bros. Wii begins, quite naturally, with the abduction of Princess Peach

With the whole competitive nature of the game though, might have been fun to throw in Wario & Waluigi or something though...
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Because the plot of a Mario game is its overriding element and must not be changed?
Case

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Changed? It's not a matter of something being changed. It's primary school mathematics.

The sum total of the plot is that you're supposed to be rescuing Princess Peach from Bowser Jr. It would be a mindfuck if Princess Peach was also a member of the rescue party. Multiplayer is not separate from story mode in this game.
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
So, if they wanted to make Peach playable, they would change the story so she wasn't abducted. In a game like this, story serves gameplay, not the other way around.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Man, I found just having two players for the new Mario game to be quite a challenge. Some of the platforms you need to land on are so tiny that you end up jumping on someone's head and falling off the map. I can't even fathom the hell it must be with 4 players going at once.

Also, it may be just because I have giant thumbs, but more than a couple of times I would accidently "bubble" myself when pressing the right D pad direction. This accidental bubbling was rather annoying when I was the last one alive.

It's a lot of fun, but I can just imagine the amount of cursing there would be if 4 players are all trying to jump on a tiny platform.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Actually, having watched the Ys OVAs and played Ys I & II through the Virtual Console, I have the opposite opinion. The Ys I OVA is actually really good, as it really fleshes out the story that the game barely had and makes for an overall much more enjoyable telling.

You might well have a point, from that particular perspective, but I have no such experience with either of the Ys games and thus can't possibly hope to judge the OVAs as adaptations.

Now, I will not try to dispute the fact that the first OVA could have ostensibly fleshed out the original story, but I distinctly remember finding a lot of it boring and perhaps ultimately unnecessary padding. Of course, there's always a chance that perhaps my opinion could change after playing the games or watching both OVA series again.

Quote:
The Ys II OVA, though, compresses the much more expansive story that the game had into only 4 episodes. There's so much more to the story that the OVA skipped out on. It's not a bad OVA by any means, but the game tells a much better and fleshed out story.

It's been years so I honestly can't recall most of the details, making it impossible to discuss this at length. In my humble opinion, there wasn't a sense that whatever had been left out was truly lacking.

Sometimes less is more, or so they say, and this might be one of those cases. Then again, you're certainly free to disagree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4