• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop CEO Considers Using Fan Translators

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:31 am Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

That person can get another job. I think that being a translator is freelance work.

They could hire on with a business that needs a good translator if they are fluent (speaking) and if not they can translate for somewhere where there is money or get a teacher's certificate (not that they'd get more money.) There are more job ops for people who fluently speak/read two languages.

I don't think manga translators get paid that much anyway, I'd recon it's more of a job you do because you enjoy it not because you're trying to become rich.

That's what I pretty much thought myself. They would need to work out a bigger business goal, like international relations (UN) work for any type of Top$$$. I want to be a translator, but...I have to expand myself, not just to translating manga or anime titles. Sooo. Anyone who feels that just doing that particular type of work for a living is in denial, IMO. Even most English Voice Actors will tell you that they have some other type of job. It's not consistent work and unless you're like the movie trailer guy (who passed away last year, I believe), there's no way that you can just live off of this.

I had asked Toshifumi Yoshida, quite some time ago about being a translator, and he explained to me about it. I only remember bits and pieces of it, but I think he does more than just freelance translation. I don't think it's his only job. x_x
debaoki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
debaoki wrote:
Well that was certainly an enlightening interview. I now have a bit more respect for Levy for keeping in the ring when having been hit so many times by the fast and fickle business of anime and manga. His business is looking wobbly on its legs, but he has gumption, that's what I respect of him for. However I fear he's biting off more than he can chew, on top of serving up the wrong dish in the first place. With so many acquisitions on "hiatus" because they are't selling, his buying decisions are obviously not very good, however having said that the crop of titles available in Japan for overseas export is not the best available either. He made a good buy with "Fruits Basket", but where is the next "Fruits Basket " like seller? This economy isn't the best time to be buying on hope that something unknown will be just as good a seller. He says he's an "artist" as well as a businessman. Very few, who feel that way, are good at both. There comes a time when the business gets bigger than one, or two people can handle, that's when a founder has to say "I need someone to take the business side on to make better decisions, like keeping well away from scanlators like the plague, whilst I concentrate more on the art, or visa-versa. With all those plates he has spinning on sticks, Good luck to him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6