• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Call Me Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
artemiy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Something you just cant miss even 20 years later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Edited for iteration:
Zin5ki wrote:
As fictional absurdities go however, I'd assume it's still quite a sensitive subject.

Apparently, not as much as one would have thought.
Still, the succulent sloshing of sensual suckers certainly wouldn't humor my parents.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Just finished watching this. Probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as much without Justin's analysis. Sort of like Wings of Honneamise and Carl Horn's article on it in Animerica.

I love this comparison.
vision1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Arrrrrrgh!!! I've waited over a month for your column to return and this is what I get???? Grrrr!!
Easily my favorite column here on ANN... but I would have expected this carp to be in the Garbage, not treasure pile. I don't know much about names who produce animes or do character designs... but might someone on this one have had something to do with Sailor Moon? On the front page I saw the preview picture and instantly recognized Sailor Jupiter. Is it just me?

And what's with bashing the 80s fashion?? Fashion was WONDERFUL in the 80s, it was so much more liberating than today. The fashion makes these shows more desireable and enjoyable, it's interesting to see some of the creative ways with headbands and poofy hair. And women looked like actual full grown women in these old shows... not like today where everything is these half naked little girls. Disgusting.
Anyway, Great work! Please MORE Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Pandadice wrote:
speaking of which, that seems to be the only pink noise I can't find subbed D:... lol, Call me Tonight might be okay, but Body Jack looks like straight hentai O_o either way, I'll be sure to work my way through these titles.

Body Jack is close to straight hentai, but it doesn't quite go there. There is sex portrayed on- and off-screen, but nothing that makes them break out the mosaic censorship. At least I didn't notice any in the 4 or so times I watched it (for noble causes, I swear Laughing ).

This is true of the original laserdisc release (which I also have seen), but apparently not of the later edition. Per the Anime LD Cyclopedia : Expanded Listing:

Quote:
There is another "Over 18" version of this OAV 35mins long - available on VHS only.

The VHS edition's entry in Asahi Record's catalog

More information in Japanese—see the bottom of the page; I do not remember a foursome in my copy.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
vision1 wrote:

And what's with bashing the 80s fashion?? Fashion was WONDERFUL in the 80s, it was so much more liberating than today.

I noticed that too. Given the paucity of objective standards for fashion, this ''bashing'' says more about the reviewer than about the fashion, or the anime. It also serves to remind us that this review is Justin's opinion, and shouldn't be taken entirely as a claim of objective truth.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
The male libido is not destructive scary and stupid, and nor are all women into bad boys or otherwise dangerous men (not all women are even into men)... yeesh.

Anyway I quite want to see this, though if the commentary on gender roles amounts to "sexuality is bad m'kay?" then I'll skip it.

It could be good satire, I guess. As for the fashion thing, fashion schmashion, if somebody likes to wear legwarmers then I don't see why they shouldn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4