• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Meh, "fighting to save the world using trading cards that create holograms and also ancient Egypt or something" seems like just as silly of a gimmick as "card games on motorcycles" xD I think the silliness is part of the charm, as is true of many children's anime series, such as the HxH reboot that I am currently obsessed with.

I also consider it a children's card game, partly because I consider thirteen-year-olds to be children...>.>;;; Hell, I consider myself, at 17, to be a child as well in many respects. But again, it really doesn't matter.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
think the insecurity ikillchicken was referring to was your apparent obsession with whether a show is "for kids" or not, something which I have also noticed in many of your posts. I tend to agree- I don't really understand what the big deal is if you happen to like something that was originally aimed primarily at children. I don't really want to argue whether Yu-gi-oh! as it originally aired in Japan fits that bill because it's pointless to argue it with you, and it doesn't really matter anyway. I will openly admit that I love plenty of series aimed at children. Princess Tutu, one of my favorite shows, was originally aimed at little girls (though it is dark enough to have warranted a TV-14 rating here in the States, our ratings system is quite different from Japan's.) It is a kids' show. But that doesn't--and shouldn't--matter to me, because it's just the show's target demographic and says nothing about the quality of the show itself.

I've admitted to loving kids shows in the past just fine. Fairy Tail, Naruto, One Piece, Evangelion, Pocket Monsters, Fullmetal Alchemist. I have no problem doing that, but that's not what this discussion is about, it's about a card game. A few people who are pretty much saying "Im calling you out on talking BS even though you have credible citations and will reject those and instead assume my own BS, and not give any of my own citations to back them up". If they want to keep arguing against Word of God and insist the game is for 6 year olds, that's their problem and more power to them.

Quote:
In my admittedly rather uninformed opinion, I think it's cool that they tried something new^^ The darker mood is kind of neat, and I think Yusei is one of the more likeable Yu-gi-oh protagonists, from what I've seen. Of course, I'm a sucker for dystopian stuff, so I may be biased xD

DM/GX/Zexal are a lot darker than 5D's was. 5D's was pretty tame actually,. That may have been another reason 5D's wasn't well liked.

I think this picture sums a lot of it up.

No sex appeal monster or cute Kuribo mascot? That's like Final Fantasy without chocobos or moogles, or something.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
Did you just refer to Evangelion and FMA as "kids shows"? Might wanna go back and edit that typo, TitanXL

NGE was graphic, steeped in allegory and metaphor, and focused on presenting psychological analyses of each character (and all their issues) involved in Freudian fashion. I highly doubt the pretty mech battles are enough to keep an age 7-14 demographic enchanted and hooked to the screen.

FMA was more action-oriented, but still presented a deep story and some complicated concepts that may not appeal to very young children.

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:11 am; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:10 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
If they want to keep arguing against Word of God and insist the game is for 6 year olds, that's their problem and more power to them.

Now you're just being dishonest.

ikillchicken wrote:
Well once again, if your contention is that Yugioh is for 13 year olds we aren't really that far apart. A thirteen year old is still pretty much a child. So while I do think that is on the high end, they're more or less in the ballpark.

If you aren't going to agree with me then fine. Don't misrepresent my position to try and make your refusal appear more reasonable though.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:43 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Did you just refer to Evangelion and FMA as "kids shows"? Might wanna go back and edit that typo, TitanXL

NGE was graphic, steeped in allegory and metaphor, and focused on presenting psychological analyses of each character (and all their issues) involved in Freudian fashion. I highly doubt the pretty mech battles are enough to keep an age 7-14 demographic enchanted and hooked to the screen.

FMA was more action-oriented, but still presented a deep story and some complicated concepts that may not appeal to very young children.

FMA and NGE both aired in children's timeslots (EVA ran alongside Wedding Peach and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They did crossover/promos with the Ninja Turtles at times as well) and obviously FMA ran in a children's manga magazine . So yeah, they're both kids shows. That's what shows for 8 year olds are like in Japan.

ikillchicken wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
If they want to keep arguing against Word of God and insist the game is for 6 year olds, that's their problem and more power to them.

Now you're just being dishonest.

ikillchicken wrote:
Well once again, if your contention is that Yugioh is for 13 year olds we aren't really that far apart. A thirteen year old is still pretty much a child. So while I do think that is on the high end, they're more or less in the ballpark.

If you aren't going to agree with me then fine. Don't misrepresent my position to try and make your refusal appear more reasonable though.

But right after that you said 13 was too high, and "8 - 13 is more accurate". Where as 13 would be the lower end of the spectrum in actuality given the dominance of 20+ year old people in the metagame.

The big crux of the argument I had was Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh are two difference demographics, despising having the same age rating. Yu-Gi-Oh may have more children players on virtue that it's much bigger around the world than Magic, but that doesn't diminish what it's original target is. Just like all those 18+ college nostalgia people into Pocket Monster doesn't change it's originally for kids.

Actually that's a good contrast. Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh cards are written in kanji. Most of the PM games were done in kana; it wasn't until Black and White Nintendo put in a kanji option because they saw how many older players played Diamond and Pearl. So now Japanese players select kana mode or kanji mode for the Black and White games, where as before it was strictly kana. Meanwhile, Yu-Gi-Oh was kanji right from the start pretty much because it wasn't really aiming at the kana reading crowd (school children and JSL readers)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Its a little annoying to see people say that yugioh was only marketed to children. Im assuming that most of the commenters haven't even read the manga. The manga was almost on par with black lagoon (it might have even been darker than black lagoon.)

The manga was very extreme in comparison to the very friendly version of yugioh that is the anime - the fcc wouldve had a field day with censoring, bleeping and changing the characters words into a more "appropriate" message (think samuel jackson's famous "I've had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this monday-friday plane".) I dont think that online streaming was even a thing back in 2001, so they had no choice but to edit them for tv. Vhs/dvd was not as profitable in the longer run as opposed to a heavily watched, long term tv show with multiple seasons and plenty of wiggle room for introducing and advertising new merchandise.
CY (Yu-Gi-Oh!) Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
First thing, when yugioh series started ,it was just a manga about atem (the pharaoh)
killing and making bad things , Until he met muto yugi, and it was rated for 18+ (matures)
then shonen jump gave kazuki takahashi some cards to make it like a Card Game ,So he made The Duel Monsters, and made The Yu-Gi-Oh,Then The Yu-Gi-Oh Duel monsters,etc...
And all of them were Rated for 13+ .
4kids Dubbed the anime and Changed a lot of Scenes Phrases and pretty much all the show!.4kids is the worst company in the world and it makes everything looks Bad,like in the GX series , Yuki Judai owns a card (brust lady) she wear clothes where one of her boobs javascript:emoticon('Surprised') ...
.But that didn't bother kazuki Or the main Studio, because they Don't Care about american
Fans or Watchers, The Only Thing they care about is The Japanese Audience!
So konami sponsored the show and Made The Yu-Gi-Oh! OCG ,then The yu-Gi-Oh TCG.
And it Focused on (Teens And Adults who Watch anime Or Read its Manga)And Adults who like Cards Games and now according to guinness book , it is the most selling card game in the world and The Largest Trading card tournament in the world!

this is the link: http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2013/3/yu-gi-oh!-duelists-break-record-for-largest-trading-card-tournament-47727/ .

it says: 4364 Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists break record for largest trading card tournament!.
and more than 50 percent of them are 20+!, and some 30+.
and I'm sure that when the generation will come they will be concerned to Games more and more and they won't stop on a certain age!.

in Japan There is nothing called Anime For Kids , Because anime and manga are LIke a culture For Them , but some them are More liked by kids like Aka-chan to Boku, some are more liked by teens and adults like One Piece, Dragon Ball , Naruto and boruto ,Tokyo Ghoul , Vanguard, And Yu-Gi-Oh!.
And another thing :MTG isn't a thing in Japan! .it is like the 1000000th most famous Card Game javascript:emoticon('Laughing').
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3