• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Time Warner to Produce Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blues of Hadal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:12 am Reply with quote
you're a dummy but not because of anything you said well actually because you thought you were gonna get flammed
anyway their gonna market this in japan at the same time their gonna do it in the US
they probably want something like FMA with a wide reach in audience
they want the japanese to buy the hell outta whatever product is made
of course that doesn't rule out something like pokemon or yugioh buts its something to take into account i'm sure they realize that their gonna be able to make more money in japan than here so they want both a big piece of this pie with the cake called japan
ganzo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:45 am Reply with quote
seriously, mg, I was listening to talk of nation on npr, hehe and they were talking about anime manga burst out in US, interesting stuff, but anyway, if this is serious stuff, then its really a big revolution on anime production, esp when a base is solidified in US, I really wonder in details, how are they going to do it???
ganzo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
on second thought, its kind of bad, so they are going to hire jp animator and do it for them the US way. Now, thats just no anime anymore. I can understand why the big companies want to get into this, because it makes a lot of money for them, like dreamwork with gits, disney with ghibli ones, they just want to share this big delicious pie.

I like the way they support and invest on anime projects that only give the production a higher budget which is all the animes needs for now(i think) is totally enough for now. And if they get too much into it and its not even their thing, they really have a chance to mess it up.

Look at the ones showing on wb, god, if they are going to have combine production of stuff like the ones showing, its going to be a disaster. xmen, batmanbeyond are not that bad, they should really stick to things they are good at rather than.....

Is samurai jack US based jp production? The director and some staff are jp I think, but if thats the descent stuff you get, then maybe it might work.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
. TV Animation has low budgets!! Ten years ago the anime market had more OVAs and fewer series going on to boot. This meant that budgets were comparitively higher. I always use the "look at Gunsmith Cats versus Noir" example. You can only do so much on a fast-moving low-budget TV series. You can do a lot more in a feature film (Dagger of Kamui) or an OVA.

While i definetly agree with that statement, maybe at least one quality series may emerge from this TV joint venture. After all WB has been very sucessful in terms of great series like Batman Tas,Superman and of course Both Justice league and Justice League Unlimited. Time Warner may see this more of a business decision. as oppossed to "jumping on the bandwagon" it's more like "let's ride this Anime gravy train".

I will refrain from all specualtions and skepticism until i actually see the finished project(s).
Twage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
ganzo wrote:
Is samurai jack US based jp production? The director and some staff are jp I think, but if thats the descent stuff you get, then maybe it might work.

The creative staff for SJ is 100% American. The director is Genndy Tartakovsky and the animation is done in Korea. Have you actually watched the show? It's extremely traditional American-style animation.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
ganzo wrote:

The creative staff for SJ is 100% American. The director is Genndy Tartakovsky and the animation is done in Korea. Have you actually watched the show? It's extremely traditional American-style animation.

Interesting, cause I remember when CN first started advertising SJ, the animation looked japanese to me and thought it was an anime....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
larmesdesucre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
Interesting, cause I remember when CN first started advertising SJ, the animation looked japanese to me and thought it was an anime....

..wow. Just.. wow..
ganzo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
ganzo wrote:

what do you think, do you think I would name it without watching it, no kidding I know its US production, but the staff is what I meant ok....you look at the names, and you see korean and jp stuff, and no its not "extremely" traditional american style, its not even american style, did you watch the show, like all of it, hehe.

The style is not even jp, it has close resemblance of traditional chinese kind of animation, and the story started in jp and its a samurai's journey, can you get more easternized. But of coure the thing progresses the US way and you see puff elements that cartoonize the thing too.
Maceart

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
For one thing, we have NO IDEA what Time Warner is going to do. And even if they do make anime, the fact that it's most likely going to be shown in the U.S. DUBBED will make it much less acceptable than the version shown in Japan.

And Nagisa: Old anime doesn't necessary mean it has better animation. Heaven forbid me to compare Princess Nine to Major or Dokyuusei to KGNE>
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Maceart wrote:
And Nagisa: Old anime doesn't necessary mean it has better animation. Heaven forbid me to compare Princess Nine to Major or Dokyuusei to KGNE>

And new stuff isn't higher quality by default. A shoestring budget is a shoestring budget, pardon me if they've just gotten lazier at hiding that fact. Japan tends to produce a higher amount of shows with each passing year than the one before it, which tends to spread the budget & deadlines a bit thinner than previously. Older stuff isn't always better, and there are some instances where the new stuff is pretty slick. However, this delusion that "animation in general is improving" is hilariously off the mark. TV animation is still limited, and is—for the most part—still pretty bad, to be honest (and OVAs especially have gone downhill; a lot of the recent stuff I've seen is only slightly better than TV-grade work). Just because it's been given "slicker packaging" with CG graphics doesn't change the fact that they're relying on sliding static cels, cutting the frame rate as much as possible, recycling footage, and hiring cheap artists that can't stay accurate to the proper character designs just as much as, in many cases moreso than, they have in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hkrok76

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:59 am Reply with quote
Blues of Hadal wrote:
you're a dummy but not because of anything you said well actually because you thought you were gonna get flammed

got one =P
some people offend easily. Whatever.

I disagree that japan would be the bigger money maker. The US is the much larger market. So why not aim for the larger market? It's what Bandai seems to want to do. That scares me. This scares me. If Time Warner is giving them so much money to produce something that will, ultimately, be made for a Japanese audience, then I will be happy. Time Warner will be taken off my list of corporations to hate. I doubt it though. Doubt is a good thing to have. It keeps us from getting duped. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised, rather than majorly dissappointed.

I actually think stories in general have been going down lately. I'm not too interested in Harem anime and dating-sim animes, and the serious lack of shoujo is making me sad. Still, there are the gems and that's good. If the US starts pumping money into Japanese animation without asking for some creative control, then that would be the awesome. Still, Time Warner is a corporation. Much larger than adv, much larger than bandai, and in effect, much larger than cartoon network(which it owns). Sometimes papa doesn't know best.

Here's to hoping for something good, and expecting something of the norm. I can't wait for more DICE, Zoids, Dinozaurs, and more psuedo-anime.
Twage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:40 am Reply with quote
ganzo wrote:
what do you think, do you think I would name it without watching it, no kidding I know its US production, but the staff is what I meant ok....you look at the names, and you see korean and jp stuff, and no its not "extremely" traditional american style, its not even american style, did you watch the show, like all of it, hehe.

The show borrows speed pans from anime, but design-wise it has much more in common with Hanna-Barbera than with any anime.

Quote:
The style is not even jp, it has close resemblance of traditional chinese kind of animation, and the story started in jp and its a samurai's journey, can you get more easternized.

Just because a show's protagnist is Japanese doesn't make the show Japanese stylistically.
Otaku17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely surprised that this discussion has gone on as long as it has without anyone mentioning some obvious items. Warner has been doing pseudo-anime for some time now with Korean and/or Japanese animation studios. Cases in point: Totally Spies (ewwww) and Teen Titans; perhaps even Megas XLR could be included here. Granted, they're NOT anime, but they're a lot closer to what anime should look like than anything else produced domestically. Their attempted use of manga clichés/anime conventions is initially annoying, occasionally funny if you can accept parody, and ultimately indicative of where this is heading.

The bottom line is that the "jump" to American co-produced anime isn't as huge as you're all making it out to be. It's more like a relatively small step. Whether or not the adult-centric mindset can be adopted by Cartoon Network is the biggest hurdle, and remains to be seen.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
hkrok76 wrote:

Sometimes papa doesn't know best.
But papa has the money. Wink
hkrok76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:14 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
hkrok76 wrote:

Sometimes papa doesn't know best.
But papa has the money. Wink

touche ^^

Although the trend in the states and probably around the world is to borrow some more from Japan, the problem I have is Japan being influenced by the US, in a manner that isn't natural. Perhaps they want them to use say...a rap as a theme song, when the Japanese creators would rather not, but since TW is giving them money, they have to. I just don't want stuff like that to happen. I am in no way saying that it will ofcourse, but I will be very weary. This isn't a matter of an american studio making something influenced by Anime. It's a matter of a Japanese studio being cajoled by America with money. I fear that. I hope Time Warner would let creativity reign. I hope with every ounce of my body. The Suits should not be allowed in the planning room. Give them money, and let the artists work. Ofcourse, the US could and should also contribute their own creative minds...but not ones that would wrap everything around thoughts of money over everything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6