• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press to Adapt von Ziegesar's Gossip Girl Novels

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
I'll only accept it if something like One Fine Day or Pig Bride leaves. Is there really a market for this OEL anyways? The people that watch the craptacular show are more likely to be the type of people who make fun of others for reading Manga. Doesn't make sense to me, but I could be wrong.

I agree with you. The people who watch Gossip Girl are probably people who do not like anime and manga at all, and are the ones that make fun of us that do like anime and manga. This doesn't make sense to me either, but my guess is they want to make money, and they want to spread Gossip Girl around. It's probably so crappy that they're trying to push it on people to get what they could be losing. It's like with Twilight. It's crap. I don't believe that is is the #1 movie in the world. They're just saying that because they want to shove crap on us so they can get they're money. That's my guess. And my opinon. I don't speak for everyone on this, so people don't get on my case by saying I'm being whatever.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Well, Peach Girl already did it, so why not?

I haven't actually seen Peach Girl, so apologies if I'm way off base.

Yep, you totally are. Unless you can clarify, the Peach Girl Manga was created in 1998, prior to the live action series which came out sometime in 2000. Don't know exact year, but anime followed in 05.

Maybe I'm being anal but it was the first manga I collected, and I was 14. lol.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
The only reason why I support Yen Press is because they're actually making an effort to hire Korean artists. So technically it is real manwha, instead of that American-produced garbage that Tokyopop pumped out.

I don't know what you're trying to imply here, but even if Koreans are creating the art, it's still an American story for an American audience. So I don't see where it's that much different from what Tokyopop does.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Used to enjoy the show, it was fun and entertaining. Then it got kinda crappy, the sex scenes aren't as hot anymore either. I'm hoping the new artist will keep some of the naughtiness and trashiness of the show otherwise Gossip Girl isn't entertaining at all. I like the art style though.

labantnet wrote:
I'll only accept it if something like One Fine Day or Pig Bride leaves. Is there really a market for this OEL anyways? The people that watch the craptacular show are more likely to be the type of people who make fun of others for reading Manga. Doesn't make sense to me, but I could be wrong.

There's no difference between Gossip Girl and all those trashy manga like Peach Girl and Life so I doubt anyone is making fun. No need to make such assumptions just because it happens to be mainstream, people who enjoy mainstream aren't evil.
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
As long as nothing is leaving the magazine as we were promised, I am fine with this. Maximum Ride is surprisingly good (I would normally avoid any adaptations, but I felt obligated to read it in the beginning because I had paid for the whole magazine, and then I really started liking it), so I'll give this a chance to be good as well. I didn't mind the first season of the show, and I just got too busy to watch the rest of it. I'm actually kind of excited to see new "inspired by"-type stories instead of a direct copy.

That said, I kind of wish these companies would stop making new things when there are plenty of existing manga series I would love to read but don't have the money to import or the time to translate. I'm more interested in seeing those titles licensed than adaptations of series that I would buy in English-language novel form if I really wanted to read the story. But . . . as long as Twilight stays FAR, FAR AWAY from my magazine, I will be satisfied.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Kurt Hassler wrote:
Nothing is coming out of the magazine. Gossip Girl is simply being introduced as a new monthly feature.

Good. I'm too attached to Soul Eater and Hero Tales.
oriana3k

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:29 am Reply with quote
Crap. All December I'm gonna have to stalk my mailbox in hopes I can get to the magazine before anyone else in my house sees that cover. Neutral
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
As long as nothing is leaving the magazine as we were promised, I am fine with this. Maximum Ride is surprisingly good (I would normally avoid any adaptations, but I felt obligated to read it in the beginning because I had paid for the whole magazine, and then I really started liking it), so I'll give this a chance to be good as well. I didn't mind the first season of the show, and I just got too busy to watch the rest of it. I'm actually kind of excited to see new "inspired by"-type stories instead of a direct copy.

That said, I kind of wish these companies would stop making new things when there are plenty of existing manga series I would love to read but don't have the money to import or the time to translate. I'm more interested in seeing those titles licensed than adaptations of series that I would buy in English-language novel form if I really wanted to read the story. But . . . as long as Twilight stays FAR, FAR AWAY from my magazine, I will be satisfied.

I am in total agreement with you, particularly about the Twilight thing. (One of my students is a raving Twilight fangirl, and wow does she annoy the class.) Very Happy

I also only read Max Ride because it was there, and now having read all five original novels, I actually have to admit that I prefer the manhwa adaptation - it fixes some of the problems I have with Patterson's writing. So I am willing to give Gossip Girl a go, even if the very title makes my skin crawl. As for adding/subtracting series, I believe Pig Bride is almost done, and I think Jack Frost is only three volumes total, so both of those will be going away for that reason. Of course, my internet sources could have led me astray with the latter. (I do love it, but does anyone know what's actually going on in that story?)

I'd love to see Yen Plus put a light novel in the magazine on a permanent basis. That would be a nice compromise for adapting English-language novels into manhwa/manga while giving anglophone audiences something new. Plus it would be going right to the niche market that reads those rather than throwing them on the shelves and hoping they sell.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Been there, done that.

Indeed. Can't imagine this being anything that hasn't been done alreadly or being completly original.

But Yen Press has done a steller job with Yotsuba, so I am sure the quality will be good. But then again, Yotsuba is pretty interesting anyway though.
Wooga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is that art really bad? She looks like an alien!
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
As an anime/manga fan who's also read the Gossip Girl novels and seen most of the first season of the show, I'm looking forward to checking this out. I think the characters and situations are oftentimes more compelling than a lot of the shoujo manga that's out there. (It's certainly not a masterpiece, but it's not straight up crap either).
I think there's a lot of misguided fan rage that if it's American, mainstream, or airs on the CW it's instant crap. They don't bother to find out for themselves.
At least it has more depth than Twilight.
cetriya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Is it just me or is that art really bad? She looks like an alien!

its called fashion illustration, where instead of 6 heads tall people are 9-12 heads tall with really long necks. almost failed an illustration class cause my drawings were too proportionate.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
I could care less, but I do hope this makes craploads of money by appealing to a more mainstream crowd, thus enabling Yen to license more Japanese manga. Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2