• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Skull Man, Maria Holic Anime in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Well there has been divergent opinions of the title especially with the premise which seems like an utter slap towards yuri fans.

It's only an utter slap towards yuri fans for those who take it way too seriously. As a yuri fan, I love the show and can't wait to buy it.
That's the thing, MariaHolic is a comedy that appeals to a mostly male shojo-ai audience, It's pretty obvious Erica Friedmen would be offended by it's blatant homophbic-undertones and misogyny . She's a lesbian herself, so I already predict LGBT trying to cause an uproar with this release that I knew Section23 would pick up.

Well I'll put it this way. Maria-Holic is a yuri comedy satire anime aimed at male audiences. It has a carrot: Overplays yuri romance with a twist. And a Stick: Plays with Misogyny and comes off unapologetically as homophobic. I looooove it! And will be picking it up next summer.

Last edited by GrilledEelHamatsu on Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
The priest and God are the reason this anime is great. I just love how they translated the metaphors the priest used. Honestly, if they don't get that part right, that's going to make me revolt. The fansubs did a great job of translating that.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
That's the thing, MariaHolic is a comedy that appeals to a mostly male shojo-ai audience, It's pretty obvious Erica Friedmen would be offended by it's blatant homophbic-undertones and misogyny . She's a lesbian herself, so I already predict LGBT trying to cause an uproar with this release that I knew Section23 would pick up.

Well I'll put it this way. Maria-Holic is a yuri comedy satire anime aimed at male audiences. It has a carrot: Overplays yuri romance with a twist. And a Stick: Plays with Misogyny and comes off unapologetically as homophobic. I looooove it! And will be picking it up next summer.

I dunno, I don't really take any homophobic or misogynistic messages from it. But then again, I'd like the series just as much if it were a straight guy getting picked on, and I may well be the exception rather than the rule as far as Maria Holic fans go.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
YAYYYY MARIA HOLIC Very Happy

Echoing this sentiment. Very Happy Now we're talking serious shop, AD--Section 23.

This is relevant to my interests as a Yuri Fangirl Laughing
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Why do people even bother to argue against Mario1234567 ??? He's obviously never going to change his mind. Just leave the whiny bugger alone. Laughing
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

uh oh. You're kind of putting a damper on my interest for this show. If it's really as homophobic and mysogynistic as you say, I might have to pass. This might be a show where I'll have to 'sample' an episode or two before I buy. The premise sounds hilarious, but only if it's not too unnecessarily cruel towards gays and women.
My line between 'hilarious' and 'offensive' is quite thin. For example, I love South Park, but find Family Guy to be hateful and offensive.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

uh oh. You're kind of putting a damper on my interest for this show. If it's really as homophobic and mysogynistic as you say, I might have to pass. This might be a show where I'll have to 'sample' an episode or two before I buy. The premise sounds hilarious, but only if it's not too unnecessarily cruel towards gays and women.
My line between 'hilarious' and 'offensive' is quite thin. For example, I love South Park, but find Family Guy to be hateful and offensive.

I haven't read all the comments so I don't know the general consensus on this show, but personally I couldn't get get through 3 episodes of it. I'm pretty sure I remember the cross-dressing douchebag threatening to rape the main character if she revealed his secret. The fact alone that he would even say this, along with the main character's goofy, dumbass reaction made me immediatley hate it. I haven't watched the whole series so I don't know what happens later on, but from what I saw I thought it was pretty mysogynistic. As for South Park, I frigging love that show. I don't find Family Guy particularly offensive, I just hate Seth McFarlen and think he's an unfunny douchebag. Family Guy is a piece of crap one-trick pony.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wow, Skull Man got licensed. That surprises me. Since I assume this will be in a box set, reviewers will have the whole thing right away, and will be able to tell that it feels like a first season, not a complete series. Since no sequel is in the works, my guess is this will not be marked in the series' favor.

Why? spoiler[The sequel would be Cyborg 009. Go talk to Sony about finishing that release.]

Hope the Skull Man live-action movie comes over too.

Mario1234567 wrote:
I don't know what Skull Man is but I have lost Maria Holic....

FUNimation: ''We want Boobies!!!!''
Sentai: Dude Maria Holic, hey FUNi you guys want that?
FUNi:Does it have boobies and super power girls that turn into dragons??
Sentai: No...
FUNi: PASS!
Sentai: Alright I guess i'll take it and release the DVD with jacked up subtitles and no dub I might be able to make a quick buck Yay!
FUNi: Yeah do whatever you want. Sekirei here I come!! BOOBIES!!!
Viz: >_> Idoits..................... Believe it!!!!
MB: Wait We like Boobie's to!! Wait we got Ikkitousen were good.
Bandai: Hey Sentai don't forget to over price!!

This Hurts me. I fear for Index they have boobies in 1 episode so This conversion could happen again.. Crying or Very sad Sentai stop doing this its getting old.

+1

Ah, but Index herself is as flat as a washboard so that cancels out the boobies. Laughing
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's an odd choice. Skull Man is a good two and a half years old already and I don't think there was really much hype over it even when it was new. In fact, judging by the comments here, I'm the few people who's actually seen any of it. (It's not that good.) I guess I can see where it has some relatively main steam appeal. I wonder if it will be getting a dub though. It doesn't strike me as something that would be particularly popular in any case.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Wow, that's an odd choice. Skull Man is a good two and a half years old already and I don't think there was really much hype over it even when it was new. In fact, judging by the comments here, I'm the few people who's actually seen any of it. (It's not that good.) I guess I can see where it has some relatively main steam appeal. I wonder if it will be getting a dub though. It doesn't strike me as something that would be particularly popular in any case.

It's a great choice since it offers something that isn't in the Sentai and Section 23 line up. Its age probably brings the licensing fee to reasonable, if not better status. They do have to rebuild their catalog after all and bring in new diversified genres for the now satellite company, Anime Network. Harem, moe, cute shows sell to the base, but the Anime Network viewer base is quite different. They can't keep bringing Japanese-trend type shows without balance or the casual viewers will get tired of moe after moe or fan service after fan service.

As far as dub, according to the RightStuf solicitation additions, these will be subtitle releases, like their previous ones.
joystick1101

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
judging from this pattern, I'm guessing we're not getting anything dubbed from these people. Guess if VA's like jessica boone, sasha paysinger, hilary haag, etc. still wanna be VA's they better go to Funi.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
joystick1101 wrote:
judging from this pattern, I'm guessing we're not getting anything dubbed from these people. Guess if VA's like jessica boone, sasha paysinger, hilary haag, etc. still wanna be VA's they better go to Funi.

Actually, at Oni-con 2009, Matt Greenfield stated that he was working on dubs for two shows that haven't been revealed yet. Both of the titles are for Sentai, so this probably doesn't include the Halo anime that they worked on.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Also...

Quote:

Special Features: Club At-X Interview, Special X-Mas Night - Amenokisaki Holy Night Festival, Japanese Commercial Collection, Japanese Promotional Video, Clean Opening Animation, Clean Closing Animation.

They actually have special features besides Clean OP/ED! What joy!

Ohh, nice. Looks like things have actually started looking up for Section 23, then.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Why? spoiler[The sequel would be Cyborg 009. Go talk to Sony about finishing that release.]

Yeah which sucks big time. Considering Sony's latest things it has decided was a 'GOOD' idea, not going to happen. Ever.

Yes, mainly I'm thinking PSPGo and PS3 but considering they are totally different departments and etc. Not much connection.

But Skullman? I have watched this series in its entirely. And though I'm a legal watcher and I buy everything I watch online later ... the series itself was a 'meh' factor and there is no dub.

See the thing is with me is that, when I watch a dub series, it is like rewatching from a different perspective. The characters sound totally different and it gives a different feel/factor to it.

And in the end it comes down to this:
Well I have my money to spend on anime. So I have the choice of Casshern Sins as Dub or Skull Man as Sub. Well I have seen both of them and well, Casshern has something extra which appeals to me as a fan.

Which is why I'm not buying the Australian Siren release until they release it dubbed. Or I will just get Funi's release.

(That is purely on the basis that it is a SUB release ... but considering its track record. It is.)
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
Oh good, more badly subtitled Frisbees.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7