• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Adds Skull Man, Maria Holic Anime in February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
Sentai's main investor is TBS, so which ever titles Section23/ADV has not yet annouced may be mainstream enough to warrent a dub.

Do you actually have proof of this yet TornadoTatsumaki? (And 'X told me at a con' is not proof.)
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
...Maria+Holic is offensive to yuri fans? I'm sorry...bwuh?

Not all of them, but some, such as myself, despise this anime.

Quote:
Just...wow. That link posted a while back was such a load of crock...

Yeah, because people obviously can't have differing opinions.Rolling Eyes

Quote:
it's a parody comedy anime! If you're taking it the least bit seriously, you already lose. The biggest thing is...it's not a yuri series, it doesn't -pretend- to be a yuri series, so I don't get why so many yuri fans get up in arms over this 'fake yuri series' when it never tried to be one, it tried to be a parody-comedy (mostly a parody of catholic schoolgirl anime). Yes, yuri parody is in there, but that doesn't make it a 'yuri' show.

At least for me, a show doesn't get a free pass to make as many tasteless jokes as it wants just because it's a comedy. Also, I think you are misunderstanding why some fans don't like this show. It's not because it's fake yuri. It's not because we expected yuri. We hate it because Mariya is a jerk and bullies Kanako for the entire show.

In other words, this right here

Quote:
Yes, she's treated like crap, but not by everyone, and it's just to show that Mariya's a sadistic prick.

is why some people hate this show. It goes hand in hand with why some of the jokes come off to some people as misogynistic and homophobic.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks this is 'offensive' probably shouldnt be watching these kind of parodies in the first place.

I've watched plenty of parodies and this is the only one that has ever gotten under my skin.

Quote:
I personally think Mariya's a great character...king of the traps in my book.

Personally, I wanted to punch Mariya in the face at multiple times in the first episode alone. And pfft, no way is Mariya the king of traps. He has nothing on Jun from Happiness! or Bridget from Guilty Gear.Laughing

Quote:
I never saw Kanako's treatment as misogynist or sexist. It'd be like calling animal cruelty over Wil.E Coyote and RoadRunner.

Obviously, some people saw that differently. Personally, I don't see how you can take the rape joke for example to be anything other than misogynistic. Also, I think that there's a big difference between physical slapstick between two animals and a show that tries to get it's laughs through the bullying of a young girl.

Quote:
If you don't like it, then you just don't. It's not for everyone. I just take issues with people accusing it of things that it isn't.

Just because you didn't see it that way doesn't mean that everyone else has to see it the same way.

Anyway, I don't want to argue about this. I'm willing to accept that not everyone sees this the same way I do. I was just annoyed with the "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude of your post (no offense).
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
A misogynist hates women. Mariya only hates Kanoko. Even his rivalry with his cousin is due originally to an accident rather than ill-intent. When Matsurika bullies Kanoko, that's not misogyny either. They bully her because she's a lecherous pervert.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
A misogynist hates women. Mariya only hates Kanoko. Even his rivalry with his cousin is due originally to an accident rather than ill-intent. When Matsurika bullies Kanoko, that's not misogyny either. They bully her because she's a lecherous pervert.

Except no one ever said either were misogynists. I said that I thought some of the jokes were misogynistic such as the rape jokes. And I don't care why they bully her. The simple fact that the show tries to get it's laughs through bullying the poor girl kills it for me. That and Mariya being the biggest jerk that I have ever seen in anime.

I'm done discussing this show. This is my last post in this thread. I gave my opinion. It won't change and neither will anyone else's.
Aeria

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
strawberry-kun wrote:
Personally, I don't see how you can take the rape joke for example to be anything other than misogynistic.

Because only women can be raped, amirite? Wink

I think rape jokes are just as bad as the next dude, but they are not misogynistic. Men can be raped, too. Don't victimize one more than the other. That's unfair.

If I might though, it doesn't look to me like they pick on Kanako because she's a ~yuri, but rather because she knows their secret and this is how they intimidate her. Of course, you can just say Maria's an ass, too. That works fine. Not that I'm trying to get you to like the series-- if the jokes are offensive to you, that's your thing, bro. The rape thing was just annoying me, sorry.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Okay, one more post but mostly just because I want to clarify my position Laughing

Aeria wrote:
Because only women can be raped, amirite? Wink

I think rape jokes are just as bad as the next dude, but they are not misogynistic. Men can be raped, too. Don't victimize one more than the other. That's unfair.

Okay, ya got me. I still think such jokes are messed up though and are a big minus against this series for me.

Aeria wrote:
If I might though, it doesn't look to me like they pick on Kanako because she's a ~yuri, but rather because she knows their secret and this is how they intimidate her.

Like I said, I don't care why they bully her. The biggest problem I have with the bullying part is how it's presented. The audience isn't supposed to sympathize with Kanako. We are supposed to laugh at her being bullied.

Aeria wrote:
Of course, you can just say Maria's an ass, too. That works fine.

Well, even a lot of fans of the series admit that Mariya is an ass.

Aeria wrote:
Not that I'm trying to get you to like the series-- if the jokes are offensive to you, that's your thing, bro. The rape thing was just annoying me, sorry.

It's fine. I'm not trying to get anyone to change their minds about the series either. I'm just trying to explain why I don't like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7