• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Astro Toy with Rob Bricken: Revoltech Queen's Blade Nanael

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
A figure that's come pre-"hot glued". The convenience is astounding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gosh! I've just learnt a new word -"bu..

Me too. I had to look it up on wikipedia...
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of a pity. Clothed, it really is attractive, for a posable figure. But if I had one, everyone who read this article would be sure I was a pervert.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I believe this is the world's first bukkake action figure.

Now there's a sentence Rob probably never thought he'd ever have to type when he first started toy reviewing... Laughing
Beryl7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
Gosh! I've just learnt a new word -"bu..

Me too. I had to look it up on wikipedia...

Same here, out of sheer, terrible curiosity,even though the review implied what it meant...REALLY wished I hadn't though *shudders*

People can say what they will and absolutely have their own opinion, but I personally really don't think that TOYS should be this disgusting. I'm definitely weeping alongside Rob on this one.
kitsycool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Ahh, yet another amusing review.
Thanks Rob, you made me smile.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I openly admit to having really liked the last Nanael figure that Rob reviewed - even having gone so far as to look for one for my own shelves.
However....this one is a little too pervy, even for a perv like me. The other one was simply a cute nudey girl, whereas this...well, I'd rather not have a girl who looks like she just finished a bukkake session on my shelves.
That and I've never liked the Revoltech figures that much. I've got Revoltech Asuka, and the number of times I've accidentally ripped an arm or a leg off her is ridiculous.
Anyway, good review, Rob. Even though you personally didn't like the figure, it was good that you took the time to discuss the actual technical merits of the figure. Even if it is too pervy for your tastes.
yblees

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I also quite like this figure.
The fine attention to detail and "passion" that must have gone into designing it boggles the mind Laughing

But, let's be honest here.
Rob's really at his best when he is in Full Rant.
And it's still a great review,
regardless of Rob's personal opinions on the sanctity of anime inspired figurines. Wink
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:56 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
From most of Rob's reviews, it seems that he is VERY biased against "sexy" figures. He weeps for humanity over squishy boobs, nipples, and now a "bukkake" figure. Wouldn't it be better for the reviewer to at least appreciate (or at least snicker at) the perverted nature of these toys/figures ... rather than express somewhat offensive horror?

1) Just because Rule 34 applies to everything doesn't mean he has to like it. Being of any other mindset wouldn't be honest, which would taint the review a little.

2) The things Mr. Bricken is appalled at are all optional. Someone in a position of power made the conscious choice that the breasts had to squish or the milk to overflow. The figures still could've been fairly functional figures without these extras, yet they just had to be included.
froggygirl89

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:26 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
*sigh*

Let me start off by saying that this is, overall, a great review. It's fair, accurate, and well-written. Rob Bricken is a great writer and very funny.

However, I'm rather tired of all the snide comments about how "depressingly perverted" this toy is. We get it. You don't like or appreciate pervy figures. Well, I think it's pretty rude to act like you're so above all this lower sexuality. Obviously, this figure appeals to people, or they wouldn't make it, because it wouldn't sell.

Anime figures are generally pervy - if there can be panties, then there are panties. It's just the nature of the beast. In fact, I'd say that if you're going to be an otaku, then you need to accept the general fetishism that comes along with anime fandom - or at least not complain about how awful it is.

From most of Rob's reviews, it seems that he is VERY biased against "sexy" figures. He weeps for humanity over squishy boobs, nipples, and now a "bukkake" figure. Wouldn't it be better for the reviewer to at least appreciate (or at least snicker at) the perverted nature of these toys/figures ... rather than express somewhat offensive horror?

I can't help but think "lighten up" Rolling Eyes

"Your beginning to sound like Madarame." Anime hyper
But, they have figures with squishy parts?
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
froggygirl89 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
*sigh*

Let me start off by saying that this is, overall, a great review. It's fair, accurate, and well-written. Rob Bricken is a great writer and very funny.

However, I'm rather tired of all the snide comments about how "depressingly perverted" this toy is. We get it. You don't like or appreciate pervy figures. Well, I think it's pretty rude to act like you're so above all this lower sexuality. Obviously, this figure appeals to people, or they wouldn't make it, because it wouldn't sell.

Anime figures are generally pervy - if there can be panties, then there are panties. It's just the nature of the beast. In fact, I'd say that if you're going to be an otaku, then you need to accept the general fetishism that comes along with anime fandom - or at least not complain about how awful it is.

I can't help but think "lighten up" Rolling Eyes

"Your beginning to sound like Madarame." Anime hyper
But, they have figures with squishy parts?

Shocked Who is Madarame?

Apparently there are figures with squishy parts! lol

Honestly, though ... I think it's a waste to make such an ugly pervy figure. Yes, it's well made, but ugh ... those ball joints - I really don't see the appeal of revoltech, figma, or dollfies. They are all hideous to me. I know that I'm in the minority here, though. I really prefer the Megahouse version of Nanael, although I don't know the character since I haven't seen Queen's Blade yet. I may get around to it, though, since it was licensed, I hear?
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Oh P.S. ... you know what makes ME weep for humanity?

This: http://twitpic.com/sg7gf (safe for work!)

I mean, seriously.
B.Y.O.B. Kenobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote
My roommate is collecting these figures. He's got five already (Reina, Echidna, Menace, Nanael and Airi).

Yes, they're incredibly perverted and I don't want to think of what he does with them at night (I don't touch them for fear of not knowing where they've been), but damned if they aren't high-quality masturbation aids.

Good sculpts, paint apps, accessories and articulation...everything I want in an action figure, but with the additional option of tiny plastic breasts.

I can't trash him too much, though--I'm planning on buying Cattleya when she's released. (What? I likes 'em big.)
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
Good job. I commend you for keeping your cool and writing such a fair review for something that you very clearly hate.

Rob Bricken wrote:
I'll be back here, weeping openly that the best toy I've reviewed in months is also the filthiest.

The sweetest part of this week's column is this bit of irony.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quote
Bukkake figure is sure funny but that last pick made my day... DMC FTW
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4