• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Right Stuffed!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
1. I'm really glad that you guys (at least sort of) like Honey and Clover, as it is one of my top five FAVORITE shows Very Happy ... however, I have to disagree about the second season. I felt as though it had the same tone as the first, and acted as a needed continuation ... Hagu's characterization, in particular, was really strengthened in the second season and spoiler[the fact that she chose her career over love was so amazingly unique and rarely seen in fiction, let alone anime, that it was striking. For this reason, she will always stick out in my mind as a really interesting fictional character.]

Actually, that's a really good point. It's been a while since I saw the second season, and I marathoned it right after the first season, so the two blend together a bit in my memory. I just remember episode after episode of being bored out of my mind by Morita and Mayama and their completely uninteresting drama.

Quote:
2. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but ... Right Stuf is definitely not the only place selling Clannad ... Best Buy, FYE, Suncoast, Amazon, and other places are also selling it.

We were slightly exaggerating. We were assholishly implying that most retailers were not "buying deep" on a show like Clannad. But it is a fact that Right Stuf is one of the most reliable places to find the more niche releases, and that's part of why they're popular.

Quote:
3. Do people really think Suncoast is out of business? I ... shop there pretty regularly. Maybe I'm just lucky and there is one nearby that still seems to be doing very well - they have a great anime selection (the people who work there are anime fans) and they even have anime parties every so often.

3. Musicland Group, which owned Suncoast, Sam Goody, Media Play and Musicland filed for bankruptcy in 2006, and closed almost all of their stores. A few of them were picked up by TransWorld (FYE, Coconuts, formerly Record Town, Saturday Matinee, et. al.), and they continue to operate some stores under the old names to this day. But the company itself did close, and the resulting returns/liquidation/precipitous drop in orders was the immediate (but not root) cause of the market collapse.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Another great ANNCast. Look forward to this every week. Also these last few shows have been really interesting (dubbing VAs don't interest me as much, since I'm a sub fan, but I listen anyway, 'cause I like Zac and Justin's banter and insight on the industry). But the shows on Geneon, reviewing, and this one on Right Stuf (my main source for both anime and manga) interest me personally and have seemed really strong.

To Shawne (in case he reads the show feedback): I understand why you said you like the stack packs, but really, those are a big pain in the neck. Stacking two overlapping discs per sheet is annoying enough (always juggling discs, plus I'm always paranoid that a stubborn hub is going to crack my disc with constant prying out), but shuffling 6 trying to get to the bottom disc is a huge hassle. Reading the AoD forums as well, I don't think there's a single consumer who likes those, and some may even avoid buying a release if it comes in this crummy packaging.

License suggestions (nice short shows, finished, unique): Mononoke and Moyashimon. My #1 and #2 most wanted licenses.

Also, kudos for running a great company with great products (keep up the wonderful extras), and your excellent customer service and vendor sales on the retail side. Looking forward to the upcoming Antique Bakery and Junjou Romantica releases!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 am Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
3. Do people really think Suncoast is out of business? I ... shop there pretty regularly. Maybe I'm just lucky and there is one nearby that still seems to be doing very well - they have a great anime selection (the people who work there are anime fans) and they even have anime parties every so often.

I personally just try to ignore their existence since I don't care to pay MSRP on their anime stock.

A few months back though, I did have to break down and buy Akira BD from them. I had preordered from DVD Pacific to get first run slip cover, but I guess I did it too late cause my order went to B/O the day of the release. Best Buy was out of stock, so for the first time in five years, I actually bought something from a Suncoast. Never again...

Suncoast has sales! New releases are always discounted! I'm also a tad bit biased because I have a membership so I get 10% off all my purchases in addition. They also have bargain bin prices ... I picked up R.O.D. (Read or Die) last week for about $8.

When I buy a new thinpack release from them, it's always about the same price as Best Buy or Amazon once I get my discount.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:49 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

3. Musicland Group, which owned Suncoast, Sam Goody, Media Play and Musicland filed for bankruptcy in 2006, and closed almost all of their stores. A few of them were picked up by TransWorld (FYE, Coconuts, formerly Record Town, Saturday Matinee, et. al.), and they continue to operate some stores under the old names to this day. But the company itself did close, and the resulting returns/liquidation/precipitous drop in orders was the immediate (but not root) cause of the market collapse.

Oh I see that's where I was confused! Transworld Entertainment does sound familiar now that I see it.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Very good podcast this week. In the past year or more I discovered Rightstuf and it was really cool learning more about it. I also started to listen to the ANNCast's last week, which was awesome as well, and now I have to start listening to the past ones. Finals week+distraction of past ANNCast's=good times, good times Laughing. Defiantly gonna give this pod-cast a good score on iTunes.

Now I gotta rant for a bit on the Dub/Sub subject. I'm usually a hardcore dub person. Always looked for it on a product and without one no buy, even with a horrible dub. One time I wanted to return the GITS Innocence movie back to Best Buy because of the lack of one. I always cringed when I hear that a title is going to be sub only. Dubs what got me into anime and I had always stuck with them. But recently I purchased His and Her Circumstances due to it being done by Gainax, Anno, the ratings on ANN, and also including a dub. But I was totally surprised on how Nozomi released it. The release had a good number of extras, one could choose which ending theme to listen to or change how the credits rolled, also one could change how much on screen items were translated, seemed like good subtitles with no grammatical errors, and they recorded the dub actors doing the preview to mimic the Japanese version (though someone wouldn't see that in a sub release). But this example really showed me that they put a lot of effort into their releases (Plus, you guys discussed how they have books or other things added to the sub releases and using those "sexy" boxes so you just don't get a "glorified sub" as some say.) After this experience I'm really considering buying sub only releases from Nozomi. I've been eyeing Emma, Aria, and Maria for a long time now and with the next couple of pay checks coming in I might just pick them up! Seems like they add a decent amount to those releases, and I enjoy those sexy boxes a lot.

I use to have the attitude that I would never purchase sub only releases, but now I feel like I turned over a new leaf and feel a little more open minded about them Smile. Plus, I never really gave the Japanese track a chance on most occasions due to my love of dubs and now I'll give them a fair shot.

I'm not sure how to put this but one thing that kind of irked me during the podcast is when you asked Shawne with one of the tweeter questions why they tend to release titles "that go nowhere". Wasn't sure what answer you guys were expecting with that one, really subjective question. Felt like that was a question to somewhat agitate him (kind of like some comments you guys added with the Geneon pod-cast which irked me at times). I did like how he answered it, which maybe you guys were interested on how he would answer that, but I thought you guys could have put a better question in there instead. Or maybe I've just misinterpret the situation.

Just to be clear, I'm fine with questions or comments that may "push people's buttons" cause thats what makes people listen in, get good answers like what Shawne did, and they're funny but I feel you guys go overboard sometimes. But in the end, its not a huge problem for me.

Overall, good listen. Can't wait for the next one!

Last edited by leftbehindxp on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
Speaking of these "sexy boxes" ... I just don't know. They take up way too much room. I almost feel bummed that I have the GIANT boxes for Air and Kanon when they now have thinpacks ... same goes for all my DVD boxes for Strawberry Panic and Simoun ... I could have saved SO MUCH room!

I feel like I can buy/own a lot more with the thinpacks and they fit all nicely together, but they are still pretty with art.

I'd rather save room for all my figures. lol.
SXAniMedia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
Excellent show guys! Really impressed with how you guys keep this show continuously entertaining - but as I mentioned on twitter to Zac, the level of education ANNCast provides for anime fans is unparalleled.

I'm also glad to hear you guys may have more Geneon guests in the future. I forgot to send in a question last week and I have one or two that I'm burning to know about.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
*Gasp!* MD Giest has fans!? And a sequel apparently; I so did not see that one coming (the fans or the sequel).

Re: Academy Awards

Not much of a Terry Hatcher fan, but I loved Coraline (visually stunning). As for Up and the others, they're on my list of things to catch up on over break (besides sleep). I seriously dig Wes Anderson & Team Zissou.

"I'm going to find it and I'm going to destroy it. I don't know how yet. Possibly with dynamite."

Re: Honey and Clover

Perhaps it is a matter of mood and small doses? I tried to shotgun the first volume and become quickly... well, I shared many of the same thoughts about slow pacing and the like.

"Egomaniacal." It's funny you should say that as I had many of the same thoughts over the first volume. I did my undergrad at Berkeley (but didn't grow up in or near the Bay) and I must say H & C had some of the nicest/sanest/humblest "artsy" folks I've ever seen. Where's the whack-nut diva attitudes? The OTT daily drama? My lord, the pretentiousness, man? Where is it? Certainly don't miss that about the Bay.

Re: Dubs

Wow. Didn't know people were that rabid about Dubs vs. Subs.

I enjoy a Dub well done, especially when it allows me to further appreciate the animation of beautifully rendered shows (by not constantly scanning/speed reading subtitles) or helps to translate humor or cultural references into something the non-native or non-Japanese scholar can appreciate. But Subs work just as well.

But between having a Sub or nothing at all, I'm grateful for the opportunity to own/view a title I might not otherwise. A Dub is nice, but this is a business, not a charity. A company that isn't practical doesn't stay open for long.

Is understanding or practicality too much to ask in fandom? It's not like these folks are corporate giants like Microsoft, Exxon/Mobil or AT&T; there's no "Man" sticking it to the fans so they can add six more zeros to the end of their quarterly bonuses.

Rude and rabid demands are the least helpful way to make your argument, and in this instance, it's more like a request (which makes your behavior even more puzzling and inappropriate).

Good Show. Glad I'm not livin' in the Mid-west (for many reasons beyond killer snow storms).

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the use of "colorful" language verbotten in the forums and a ban-worthy offense? Are bans permanent?
RedTail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now I gotta rant for a bit on the Dub/Sub subject. I'm usually a hardcore dub person. Always looked for it on a product and without one no buy, even with a horrible dub. One time I wanted to return the GITS Innocence movie back to Best Buy because of the lack of one.

There was no excuse for what Dream Works pulled there. Innocence was a movie that they easily could've recouped dub costs on. It bothered me enough that I ended up importing the R2 from the UK.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Speaking of these "sexy boxes" ... I just don't know. They take up way too much room. I almost feel bummed that I have the GIANT boxes for Air and Kanon when they now have thinpacks ... same goes for all my DVD boxes for Strawberry Panic and Simoun ... I could have saved SO MUCH room!

I feel like I can buy/own a lot more with the thinpacks and they fit all nicely together, but they are still pretty with art.

I for one find boxes very sexy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Justin: You'll love Ponyo if you dug Kakurenbo. Not sure if you liked H+C to check out Art School Confidential, though.

Zac: I need to get around to The Princess+The Frog one of these days. One of the few Disney toons I'm interested in right now, I guess. Oh, and while I haven't seen the H+C anime, I'm willing to vouch for the manga being great from what I've seen in SB thus far.
Judging by your opinion of the anime, though, it doesn't sound like a series which works in 30 minute chunks as well as other titles.

Shawne: RE: Name of the company. I thought it was just a copyright infringement issue. Ah, well...

"Bargain bin is heavily trafficked"

I'm actually surprised you're out almost out of stock on Keaton, though. And does the fact that Lupin hasn't been heavily discounted mean there's a bigger demand for it than the others?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
Has it really been that many shows? It feels like less.
------------------------------
I totally agree with you about Computer versus TV. I multitask like crazy if I get a bit bored.
-------------------------------
You know, Zac has a point about the complete lack of middle ground in the loli debate. I always try to be open so I shall attempt to compromise. So here's my suggestion loli fans: Let's compromise on Fourteen. You can sexualize the hell out of anime girls as long as they're at least fourteen. I'm not happy about it but I think I can at least pretend I don't find it creepy as long as we're in generally post-puberty territory. You guys still get to buy thousands of fetish figures of the NGE girls and keep the general schoolgirl fetish. You can even moe-ize them like crazy so they kind of look younger. (Just make em tall enough that you can still tell). It's a good deal. But you've got to stop with the really little girls. Do this and there will be peace. If not, this war shall go on forever and if Gundam has taught me anything, it's that war is bad (and I should cry about it a lot). Wink
----------------------------
I'm going to be honest, I just don't give a damn about Pixar movies. It's not even that they're not good. They're great actually. They just seem so...the same to me. I'm sure one of you Pixar fans will promptly explain why I'm actually wrong. (Hell, I probably am). I just don't really care though. I never got around to seeing Coraline either but I'd be a lot more inclined to see it at some point since it at least looks rather unique.
-----------------------------
With Miyazaki, I don't know what Ponyo is like but if it is bad, I say cut the guy some slack. No director produces only excellent movies. There are always some so-so.
-----------------------------
On Sub only releases, I don't really get all nerd-ragey about them. I understand why it has to be. The truth is though, I'm just not going to buy them. That's just the bottom line. I'll pay if the DVD is adding the value of a dub but otherwise, it's just not going to happen.

CareyGrant wrote:
Re: Dubs

Wow. Didn't know people were that rabid about Dubs vs. Subs.

Really? You haven't noticed this until now? I'd say it's the single hottest issue among fans. It's even more hotly debated than lolicon and perhaps even piracy as well.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
RedTail wrote:

There was no excuse for what Dream Works pulled there. Innocence was a movie that they easily could've recouped dub costs on. It bothered me enough that I ended up importing the R2 from the UK.

I totally agree, Dream Works could have recouped the costs but shame on them with their release. I was about to do the same and import from R2, then I found out about Bandai releasing it with a new dub track. So glad they did, Ghost in the Shell in general is my favorite all time anime movie(s)/series and Innocence, in my honest opinion, needed the dub to be a more enjoyable experience. Just way to much going on.

By the way, yeah winter sucks in the mid-west and north east. I believe the high was 22 with gusts of wind from 25-30 mph. But from the pod-cast Iowa has much, MUCH worse. Can't wait for that to come flying over here Confused
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:46 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
With Miyazaki, I don't know what Ponyo is like but if it is bad, I say cut the guy some slack. No director produces only excellent movies. There are always some so-so.

I loved the hell out of Ponyo, personally, and with time I could easily see it becoming one of my all-time favorite Ghibli films. I'm drawn to more simple, folktale-like stories to begin with (my favorite Miyazaki movie is Totoro) and on top of that, Ponyo is basically a 2-hour excuse to watch eye-poppingly, orgasmically brilliant water animation. However, I agree with Zac that its storytelling pales a bit in comparison to the other stellar animation work that has come out this year. I'm gunning for Mr. Fox for Oscar recognition at the moment, but next week I'm seeing Frog and Secret of Kells and they both look pretty awesome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kirben

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
With all the fervor over sub-only releases, I've been curious as to why a handful of Nozomi's titles are DUB only? I would have purchased Kimba The White Lion long ago if it was a hybrid or sub release.

I would like to see original Japanese version of Kimba, with English subtitles too.

darkchibi07 wrote:

Wasn't it because the original Japanese audio weren't included in the original licensing agreement or presumably destroyed a long time ago?

The complete series of Kimba was released on DVD in Japan in 2001, so the masters were definitely not destroyed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13