• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-12-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Cephus wrote:
He asked a question, I answered it. I never said or even implied that one was inherently better than the other, I gave my opinion. Something tells me you need to stop jumping to conclusions and actually moderate based on what is said, not what you think might be said in the future.

Saying that American dubs strike you as 'wrong on every conceivable level' kind of does imply that you think the Japanese is inherently better. Kind of.
At least a little.
A smidgen.
C'mon, you know it.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Collecting anime back in the late 1980's and the 1990's was a fun and exciting time for anime fans. It started out small and then finally grew to what it is now!

Before I'd say early 1993 (from my own experiences) you could only buy anime thru mail order, comic book(including conventions) and certain book stores. In the spring of 1994 was the first time I walked into a Media Play(now out of business) and for the first time saw a whole isle with anime only releases. From that year on anime started to sell everywhere.

A guy I knew back in 1996 sold me his set of Tenchi Muyo on vhs(original pioneer tapes) english dub for $70 bucks. He did that just so he could buy 2 of the pioneer laser disc releases!

Back then vhs tapes were between $12 and up to $45.00 depending on where you bought your anime. I remember I bought Bubblegum Crisis on laser disc(4 laser disc set) in 1993 because it was cheaper than buying it on vhs tape(8 tapes). The tapes (had 1 episode only) and laserdisc (2 to 3 episodes on it, it) both cost $35.00 each per tape and per laser disc.

Thank GOD for DVD's. Now we can buy a entire show on dvd cheaper than you could on vhs tapes and laser disc back then.

True back in the day dubs were more plentiful than the subbed versions and the cost less expensive on vhs tapes.

Even though I prefer subbed anime, I still enjoy some of my older collection that I have dubbed.

The anime industry has changed a lot over the last 22 years.
I've been collecting anime on and off since 1987.

I've seen anime go from buying, and trading bootleg tapes, renting and copying from the Japanese video store, to actually buying anime in stores all over the USA, to people sharing it on the net. And now to the fall of a lot of companies due to the economy,etc...

How the industry and the fandom itself has changed over the years!

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Again about K-On!. I'm really surprised the manga hasn't been licensed. I've noticed a lot of really popular anime online that take a while to get licensed (or in a lot of cases not get licensed at all) normally get the manga licensed first (like Gin Tama, Reborn or Yakittate Japan!), but this doesn't seem to be the case for the K-On! manga. So I'm guessing that maybe it has something to do with the original creators rather then the anime people, but then again anime does take time to get licensed (the reference to Haruhi Suzumiya was brilliant, it was super popular online but took a year to get licensed).
EDIT: But then again maybe there is an American company this is about to or already has the licenses for K-On! but maybe they're waiting for the OVA bundle to be released in January in Japan before they announce anything.

Also, I prefer the yellow subtitles to the white. I have a hard time reading the white ones sometimes, yes they're more pretty but they tend to blend into the art a lot more then the yellow. I'm trying to read here! Very Happy
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
rabrek wrote:
Ah, those frustrating movie theater moments when the white subs would disappear against light backgrounds. Yellow subs were a sign that someone had put a bit more effort into things. (Of course, white text would have worked fine if each letter had been outlined in black, but this was 30 years ago.) I don't know whether yellow subs are any easier to read, only that I get the warm fuzzies every time I see them.

IIRC, the cinema release of Eva 1.0 had white borderless subs (in Australia at least). Fortunately, I already had a rough idea of the story. Don't know how I'll cope with the sequels...

I like yellow subs, at least partly because that's what I grew up with - and when I say "yellow subs" I don't mean bright yellow and huge, I mean muted yellow and tactfully placed. I find bright white subs too glary in dark scenes.

Re Avatar, I distrusted the hype from the start, and the scenes I've seen have actually lowered my expectations - cheesy space marine cliches, and cheesy hippy "natives". Plus ripping off "Call me Joe", Anne Macaffrey's dragonrider books, and Ursula Le Guin's "The word for world is forest". Nothing original in there.
Cephus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
Cephus wrote:
He asked a question, I answered it. I never said or even implied that one was inherently better than the other, I gave my opinion. Something tells me you need to stop jumping to conclusions and actually moderate based on what is said, not what you think might be said in the future.

Saying that American dubs strike you as 'wrong on every conceivable level' kind of does imply that you think the Japanese is inherently better. Kind of.
At least a little.
A smidgen.
C'mon, you know it.

And I do. Just like I'd probably think Japanese dubs of American animation was inferior. And both language dubs of Korean animation would be bad too.

Something wrong with that?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Cephus wrote:
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
Cephus wrote:

At least a little.
A smidgen.
C'mon, you know it.

And I do. Just like I'd probably think Japanese dubs of American animation was inferior. And both language dubs of Korean animation would be bad too.

Something wrong with that?

So what you're saying is that Key was totally correct in how the post was interpreted. It's not that there is anything wrong with you're opinion (it is an opinion, after all), it's that Brian's question was asking about a specific actor, either for English or Japanese, that annoys you and your answer stated that all English dubs were wrong in every way, which isn't a valid answer to the question. That's like saying "All of the above" when that isn't a choice.

Just look at your two previous posts. One says that you didn't mean to imply that one is inherently better, and then the next says that you did mean it.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:08 am Reply with quote
What's the whole Nova Scotia-pizza cook-Smiths-moustache thing referencing anyway? Don't tell me you just came up with it yourself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4