• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ponyo Not Nominated for Golden Globes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm ... that line up aint too bad. Considering I have only seen two of the five I can't have much to say.

But I sure do hope Up doesn't win. The thing that annoyed me so much with that movie was its lack to communicate between the two stories, the one for the adults and the one for the kids.

I'm 16, normally I like to have some fun with the movies, so I sat down watched the first 10 minutes and was deeply, deeply moved. Then the rest of the story happened and well ... it ended badly.

Watching Up is like putting two stories together and saying, "Let's make this movie for everyone." I could clearly see which characters was for the kids, and which characters was for the adults.

And it's jumping between the two was sadly done, I really had no sympathy for Russell. His back story was tacked on, like at the last minute. There is no clues, no hints that he had a crap life and then "bam" he randomly pipes up that his father was a douchebag. You think I could have some anti-social? What about an inability to communicate? Something ... (Not that I have seen a character like him in any other show, not)

And the ending? Total waste of time.

And while I enjoyed Coraline to a large extent, the ending was a little rushed for my liking. Coraline, though, has my up most appreciation for giving me a female character I actually like. Normally I have an issue associating with females on screen and in novels, even though I'm a female myself.

But that is just what I got from the movies, everyone is different.

But from these comments, I'm definitely checking out Fantastic Mr Fox and Cloudy. Though, I take on Cloudy with wary ... Me and American Humour don't mixed well. Last week I managed to go through Zombieland, barely cracking a smile.

Edit:

As yes Akira. Akira, while the art was amazing, the story line is a mess. It was really made for those who have read the manga.

Though I remember seeing it a few years back, I just remembered I enjoyed the violence. That was about all I got from that.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
However, it's a shame that the likes of Summer Wars or First Squad weren't submitted or taken into account, as both offer a rather special experience that can rival most in that list. Then again, you can't really expect a foreign animated film to rival home ground productions in such awards.

I've seen First Squad in a film festival, and it's nothing special, really. The action scenes are pretty good, but the script is your basic good-vs-evil stuff, and doesn't really offer any new twist on the familiar formula.
In theory, if "Summer Wars" gets theatrical distribution in the United States over the next year, it can compete in the Oscar (and the Globes). However, it will require a strong distributor who can time the release properly, and push the film agressively enough. I hosently believe that "Millennium Actress" and "Tokyo Godfathers" could have been nominated if Dreamworks and Sony knew how to market them to the Academy members ("Paprika" is a different story - this one would have probably been too much for your average Academy member to swallow).
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I would never consider Akira the greatest film of all times. Lion King had more character development, music, and overall better feel to the series.

Akira was certainly stylish but I would never consider it to be one of the greatest especially considering the ending.

Really? I thought Lion King epitomized much of what was bad about Disney. Setting aside the overblown Kimba controversy, I much prefer the more experimental and formally innovative Bambi, if we're going to talk about interesting Disney films about "animal kids that grow to be Kings".

Quote:
As yes Akira. Akira, while the art was amazing, the story line is a mess. It was really made for those who have read the manga.

Though I remember seeing it a few years back, I just remembered I enjoyed the violence. That was about all I got from that.

Akira, the movie, is actually a fairly simple story. It is essentially a monster movie but instead of the environmental metaphor played up, it's the ragin' teenage hormone metaphor. A pissed off, perennially ignored teen going through puberty is indeed one scary thing. Think about the way it's structured. It may throw in a feel elements about government conspiracies and the like, but in the end the movie is really a good old fashioned Godzilla remake.

The manga is more of a true science fiction cautionary tale.

Akira grows on me the more I watch it. It's nowhere near my favourite animated film and certainly very far from my favourite anime but I do find new elements in it every time I watch it. Which is more than I can say for most animated films, anime or otherwise.
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Neither of Miyazaki's two previous films, Spirited Away nor Howl's Moving Castle, were nominated for Golden Globes.

This quote makes it sounds like these movies were ignored by HFPA. In reality the "Best Animated Feature Film" category was only added in 2006 after these movies premiered in US.
ayashe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:08 pm Reply with quote
What a bunch of crappy films.

Quote:
I would never consider Akira the greatest film of all times. Lion King had more character development, music, and overall better feel to the series.

Akira was certainly stylish but I would never consider it to be one of the greatest especially considering the ending.

Agreed. Akira gets way too much attention from the anime world considering how mediocre it is.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
It isn't a contest, really. Mr. Fox is just too clever not to win. As for Ponyo, I haven't seen it yet, but then, I'm not too excited to see it. The darker a Miyazaki film is the more I like it, and this is at the opposite end of the spectrum from Princess Mononoke. Which doesn't mean it didn't deserve a nom.

Also was Avatar's release too late to qualify? I haven't seen it yet but I heard it's mind-blowing. Is it technically animation if there are live-action scenes in it?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Is the Mr. Fox thing all that good? I used to really get into Wes Anderson but he's turned out to be a one trick pony imo. All of his films are usually about some super wacky family going through some tragedy and they pretty much have identical cast members in identical roles.

I thought Mr. Fox was finally going to be him breaking away and doing something different, then I saw that Owen Wilson, Bill Murray and the other Anderson usuals were in it and that it was the story of the crazy fox family where Bill Murray plays an immature parent with strange tendencies who... [insert plot from Rushmore, Life Aquatic, Tennebaums]
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Is the Mr. Fox thing all that good? All of his films are usually about some super wacky family going through some tragedy and they pretty much have identical cast members in identical roles.

I thought Mr. Fox was finally going to be him breaking away and doing something different, then I saw that it was the story of the crazy fox family where Bill Murray plays an immature parent with strange tendencies who... [insert plot from Rushmore, Life Aquatic, Tennebaums]

There are two key differences here--the medium and the source material. Roald Dahl (no matter how awful of a person he was) wrote awesome, quirky, somewhat-disturbing-when-you-think-about-them stories (like the end of The Witches where spoiler[the little boy decides it's okay to live as a mouse because he'll now have the same lifespan as his grandmother Shocked]). I think that, combined with animation as a medium, really made Anderson lighten up a little and the result is a film that's really smart and also knows when to have some goofy fun. His humor's usually hit-or-miss with me, but the humor in this film is on the mark.

Also it's George Clooney, not Bill Murray.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3