• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cameron: Battle Angel Has Script, 1 Year of Design Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Guillermo del Toro (I didn't think Pan's Labyrinth was anything special, but the style was there that would work with a lot of creepy Japanese stuff)
Back when the first Hellboy was coming out, I was a mod for a Hellboy forum. Someone asked about manga artist Tsutomu Nihei's work on the movie. I actually got an e-mail from Del Toro clarifying that he did a couple concept works of baddie Kronen and is a big fan of the artist. So now my dream manga adaptation project would be Del Toro making a Blame! movie.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
There is the old OVA he could use as a reference as well.

That OVA showed much promise, and I would like to see the same story expanded upon. It surprised me by taking a romantic turn, although the scene in which the relationship was concluded fell short of showing the same degree of flair as some of the other sequences.
Regardless of whether or not such a story is used as the reference for a live-action adaptation, I'd expect the end result to be quite a different beast. The choice of actress to portray the character of Gally will be a critical decision. More so than the technology used for the special effects, I dare say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
The choice of actress to portray the character of Gally will be a critical decision. More so than the technology used for the special effects, I dare say.

Gally/Alita will be completely CGI, if I recall correctly. I also recall there being come concept art of her that actually looked pretty good, but my googling skills fail me at the moment.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
Generic #757858 wrote:
Gally/Alita will be completely CGI, if I recall correctly. I also recall there being come concept art of her that actually looked pretty good, but my googling skills fail me at the moment.

Perhaps but they would still have an actress playing her for the purpose of motion capture or at least for voice work though would they not? Isn't that how it worked with Avatar? Assuming that to be the case, it will still have a pretty major impact on the character. Not so much how she looks but how she acts and sounds which are probably more important.

The Xenos wrote:
Back when the first Hellboy was coming out, I was a mod for a Hellboy forum. Someone asked about manga artist Tsutomu Nihei's work on the movie. I actually got an e-mail from Del Toro clarifying that he did a couple concept works of baddie Kronen and is a big fan of the artist. So now my dream manga adaptation project would be Del Toro making a Blame! movie.

That's an interesting idea. He certainly does have a flair for the visual. I don't know though. His past work seems to me to have been more in the vein of fantasy with lots of organic elements and using bright vibrant and colorful visuals that stand out from the dark and gritty environments. While similar in a more general sense I would say Blame is sort of the opposite of that when you get specific. It's all about the stark and monolithic, sprawling cityscape. Off the top of my head I can't really think of anyone who's done anything vaguely like it.

In any case, I'd be happy to see him try and I'm at a loss for anyone I would describe as a better choice. I might say Cameron from a visual standpoint but I don't thik he has near the nuance from a directorial standpoint. Cameron's all about being loud and explosive (but simultaneously awesome). Blame would have to be a bit more subtle. Of course, I'm still wishfully hoping we'll see a full anime version some day. I'd love to see what Oshii and some of his frequent design collaborators could do with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2